Sponsored by:

Is the rear speaker box a low frequency sub or more mid bass

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 07:13 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Is the rear speaker box a low frequency sub or more mid bass

997.2 with bose .. Iv been reading about replacing the rear speaker box with a more powerful amp and small subs, but is that box really a low frequency sub woofer? It looks like 2 5 1/4 " mid bass speakers with a small amp inside... the low frequency for the system seems to be from the front door speaker... wont we loose the mid bass spectrum if we replace the rear box speakers with small sub woofers? Wont the overall sound be lacking this mid bass range if we do this mod???? The lower range would probably be stronger but.... Petza and others who have done the mod, hoping you can share your insight..
Old 03-16-2022, 06:27 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

The small and lets face it, noisy 911 cabin makes realistic frequency response and listenable sonic balance and a tricky fish to fry.

Whatever happens, you will be drawn towards a very complex and expensive 8+ multi channel digital signal processor and a trunk load of amplifiers by the field matter experts, that reside right here on the 'list.

Or you can remember, you drive a car from what is now, another era, roll down the windows and drink in that sound.
The following users liked this post:
Wayne Smith (03-16-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 11:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,706 Likes on 4,263 Posts

I'll update you guys on how these Focal.Utopias sound once I'm driving them at the full 75 watt power instead of the 15 watts they were getting before. Since they were decent before, I'm expecting to be pleased. Of course they're not going to match the thumpnfrimnthrb2 10" subs driven by a dedicated amp in my 928, but they don't really need to either. These Focals have a frequency response range of 36-1500 Hz according to Crutchfield's site and Focals info says they have "superior bass quality in the 50-100 Hz range so somewhere in that range of 36-1,500 Hz I'll find some bass and maybe a bit of lower mid range.

They get rave reviews from anyone who has installed them, but unfortunately are discontinued so I'd this works out well, others will need to watch eBay to see if a set pops up.

The next challenge is to find an amp to drive them properly - it's not easy to find a compact amp that fits inside the box, has a low pass crossover, remote bass adjustment **** since you can't access the adjustments once installed in the box, can auto turn on from the signal input, high level speaker level inputs (instead of RCA low level), and ends up at 70-75 watts per speaker at 2 Ohms of resistance (these are 4 Ohm subs so the pair can be hooked up to provide 2 Ohms or 8 Ohms of resistance if driven from a mono channel sub amp). If you drive them from a 2 channel amp at the 4 Ohms per sub, that would work too, but I couldn't find one with the right 4 Ohm power rating, low pass crossover, high level inputs, that fit in the box.

Here's the setup that will be tested along with a remote bass level controller. Rockford Fosgate hasn't made this amp since 2014 but I lucked into finding a sealed brand new one - it's a PBR300x1

Quick Reply: Is the rear speaker box a low frequency sub or more mid bass