Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice on Refreshing Aged Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 05:36 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Seeking Advice on Refreshing Aged Parts

My car is a 2009 C4S PDK, with about 85K miles. It drives great, and I plan on keeping it forever. I imagine that some original parts probably should be replaced due to old age, since they are 13 years old. I've seen threads discussing replacing aged parts, such as engine mounts. What other sort of things would you all recommend replacing, to refresh my car and get it ready for the next 13 years? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-12-2022, 08:32 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm sure you'll get some good advice, but I'd resist the urge to fix what's not broken.
If your suspension isn't giving you issues, don't change things just to change them.
A good start would be following the maintenance guide in your owners manual.

Definitely look at the accessory belt and water pump if that hasn't been done.
Coolant is supposed to be lifetime, but I'd flush and replace while doing the water pump.
Plugs are another item to address if it's time and you might think about coils "while you're in there"
Brake fluid should be every two years, three in a pinch, depending on what fluid you're using.
Engine and air filters are low hanging fruit. (Easy to do and not pricey)

You might be way ahead on some of these suggestions, but just some thoughts on my part.

Enjoy your ride! 85K indicates that you're doing it right from my perspective,
Bill

Last edited by BillB128; 03-12-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:50 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Do you have an independent shop you trust or is your car dealership maintained? If you have an Indy, talk with your guys. If you use the dealer, just pay attention to everything on your car and use the forum for back-up/advice on things that are a change from normal before you open a vein at the dealer. Water pumps are a big deal on .1s, but it's easy to check for coolant seepage under the car. The pump is that lower pulley with the thermostat next to it, check it out with a flashlight. You can find photos of it on the forum If you have a garage, put cardboard on the floor under the engine so you can pick up on drips. Take off the rear undertray and look around for any fluid staining on the bottom of it once removed. It covers your transmission. Engine mount replacement is usually indicated from seeing one or both of your tailpipes riding lower under the bumper. Keep up to date on fluid change intervals per the manual.

But if the car's running fine, it's fine.
Old 03-13-2022, 03:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 755 Posts

2010 C4S PDK ... You have a .2 car so the water pump generally isn't an issue. Mine has 145K miles on it and is fine. Same for my coils and suspension parts. Still on the original plastic coolant tank as well. I have upgraded motor and transmission mounts (at 130K miles). Front brakes have been replaced twice, rears once. Basically adopt standard maintenance intervals and enjoy the drive.

Edit: I did replace the front upper strut mounts at 120K miles. The AWD geometry is rough on these parts. 2WD not so much.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 03-13-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:02 PM
Lastdragon
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts

I have replaced all of the suspension components on my 997.1 CS since I purchased it 2.5 years ago with 75k miles. The most significant improvement in ride quality were new OEM struts/ shocks (the old ones were clearly worn). Next I added new OEM LCA, dog bones, tuning forks, drop links and sway bar bushings. The car never drove poorly but I was surprised at how much the ride improved with new LCA, dog bones, etc... My car was always garaged but it was an Arizona car so the rubber may have been drier than most climates. I am not sure exactly which of the components made the most difference since I did them all at once. Prior to the above mentioned items I refreshed the motor mount and suspension mounts and I really couldn’t tell other than the exhaust tips were more snug.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:18 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts

Have someone with a trained eye go over the car ... Age and even mileage does not necessarily indicate usage and potential items that may require replacement ...The .2 cars are very well built . Have you completed it's major service intervals ?
Old 03-13-2022, 10:42 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Thanks for all the advice! This info is very helpful.
I have been doing most of my oil changes and brake flushes, but take my car to the dealer for all the other stuff. I'm not handy enough for anything too complicated.
I have been following the maintenance schedule, although I haven't gone in for the PDK Transmission Oil change yet. The schedule said it was due at 120K / 12 years, and I wasn't sure whether to go by time or mileage. I'm guessing I probably should have gone in last year at year 12, so I think I'll schedule that with my dealer, and have them just do a quick look in the areas you all have mentioned.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:32 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
Thanks for all the advice! This info is very helpful.
I have been doing most of my oil changes and brake flushes, but take my car to the dealer for all the other stuff. I'm not handy enough for anything too complicated.
I have been following the maintenance schedule, although I haven't gone in for the PDK Transmission Oil change yet. The schedule said it was due at 120K / 12 years, and I wasn't sure whether to go by time or mileage. I'm guessing I probably should have gone in last year at year 12, so I think I'll schedule that with my dealer, and have them just do a quick look in the areas you all have mentioned.
120K or 12 years is the 991 PDK service schedule. The 997 is every 60K miles or 6 years and every other time includes filter and diff oil. Query the dealer carefully. Many I have talked to didn't know what they were doing. There are lots of write ups on this Forum. Study a bit. Interview the dealers. You don't want to mess this service up.
The following users liked this post:
Spike Speakus (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 12:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 904 Posts

2009 C2S 178K miles

As long as you kept up with standard service intervals, I would not do anything. .2 cars are different than .1 and Porsche apparently upgraded the durability of various parts such as the water pump. Save your money. BTW, an alignment is a great place to go if you want to spend money.

If you had a manual, I would say replace the transmission fluid but that would be it.

If you really really wanted to spend money, replace the coolant and power steering fluid.... but honestly, you would be wasting your money, although I would change these fluids at 100K.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-14-2022 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (03-17-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Speaking of if you want to spend money, by 2011 Porsche decided the PDK should have the extra cooling of a center radiator. This is an easy addition that has been covered well several times on this Forum.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:59 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Bruce: LOL. No, I'm not looking to spend money. I just spent a bunch on some new paint/paint correction/PPF/ceramic/decals, so I should take a break on spending. I was more curious what the upcoming mechanical things would be. It sounds like I'm pretty much ok to just enjoy the car and just do the regular maintenance items unless anything seems off, until about 100K (fluid changes you suggested). When I replace tires, which I expect will be later this year, I'll definitely do an alignment.

Wayne: I had the PDK Clutch Oil done 5 years ago (@ 55K) at the local dealer. So yeah, I'm due for the bigger service.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2022, 05:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
Bruce: LOL. No, I'm not looking to spend money. I just spent a bunch on some new paint/paint correction/PPF/ceramic/decals, so I should take a break on spending. I was more curious what the upcoming mechanical things would be. It sounds like I'm pretty much ok to just enjoy the car and just do the regular maintenance items unless anything seems off, until about 100K (fluid changes you suggested). When I replace tires, which I expect will be later this year, I'll definitely do an alignment.

Wayne: I had the PDK Clutch Oil done 5 years ago (@ 55K) at the local dealer. So yeah, I'm due for the bigger service.

Thanks guys!
get a trained eye to look for signs of some of the things you mentioned. ie. are you exhaust tips sagging compared to where the bumper cut out is? if so your engine mounts *may* be stretched out due to age.

a similar train of approach can be used to assess the need to replace other wearables (ie suspension etc etc).
Old 03-16-2022, 12:24 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by myw
get a trained eye to look for signs of some of the things you mentioned. ie. are you exhaust tips sagging compared to where the bumper cut out is? if so your engine mounts *may* be stretched out due to age.

a similar train of approach can be used to assess the need to replace other wearables (ie suspension etc etc).
For sure, a trained eye would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2022, 04:26 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I've changed motor mounts for several friends at this point. Even with one set where only one mount was very badly worn the tailpipes were a poor indicator. The tailpipes themselves have a lot of adjustment that can hide a lot of variation. And even when mounts were worn there was no appreciable change in the pipes' location when the new mounts were installed. If the rear end of the car wallows in undulating turns then refresh the mounts. That's the indicator.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:10 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I've changed motor mounts for several friends at this point. Even with one set where only one mount was very badly worn the tailpipes were a poor indicator. The tailpipes themselves have a lot of adjustment that can hide a lot of variation. And even when mounts were worn there was no appreciable change in the pipes' location when the new mounts were installed. If the rear end of the car wallows in undulating turns then refresh the mounts. That's the indicator.
Good to know. Thanks Wayne!

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice on Refreshing Aged Parts