Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"New" ignition key help...doesn't work...see post below...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022 | 08:15 PM
frybear
Pro

Default "New" ignition key help...doesn't work...see post below...

So, I decided I wanted the nicer black key to replace my crappy silver key. Anyway, that's irrelevant. I removed the RFID chip or whatever it's called and didn't damage it. I bought an OEM key off ebay from someone and it's a 3 button key, not a 2 button, which doesn't matter, won't make a difference other than looks. I transferred over my chip and the electronics to the new key. It lights up when I press the buttons but that's it, won't open the doors and certainly won't start the car. Any thoughts? Obviously it doesn't need to be reprogrammed and I did put in a new battery just for fun. I can't figure it out...
Old 02-26-2022 | 08:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frybear
So, I decided I wanted the nicer black key to replace my crappy silver key. Anyway, that's irrelevant. I removed the RFID chip or whatever it's called and didn't damage it. I bought an OEM key off ebay from someone and it's a 3 button key, not a 2 button, which doesn't matter, won't make a difference other than looks. I transferred over my chip and the electronics to the new key. It lights up when I press the buttons but that's it, won't open the doors and certainly won't start the car. Any thoughts? Obviously it doesn't need to be reprogrammed and I did put in a new battery just for fun. I can't figure it out...
put it back in the old key + start from there.

the RFID chip doesnt need power - the car should start - im not sure if the chip needs to face a certain way or what - but it should only fit one way.

as for the doors locking / unlocking. unless the circuit board is damaged there should be no issue as it lights up and is getting power - nothing fundamentally has changed.
Old 02-26-2022 | 08:26 PM
frybear
Pro

that would be a great idea...if i didn't basically destroy the old key...it's toast. and it does technically fit either way but i do have it in correctly... I have no idea what the issue is but it's possible that the old key wasn't working well, if i recall I could start the car with it but I think it wouldn't unlock/lock the doors so it could be bad actually...but even then, I should still be able to start the car regardless...might just have to bite the bullet as I don't want to be without a spare of some sort.

Quick Reply: "New" ignition key help...doesn't work...see post below...