Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn off DRLs on 997.1 S without PCM installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 02:28 PM
ArmorDude
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn off DRLs on 997.1 S without PCM installed?

I have a 2005 911S with the Sports Chrono Plus package. I recently added LED lights as DRLs and I am planning on doing the $2 DRL hack soon.

There's an issue - I can't turn off my headlights!

The backstory -- about 2 years ago, I removed my PCM and replaced it with a Kenwood unit. Before I did, I had the headlights set to be DRLs, and they were always on. After adding the LEDs, it looks a little overkill to have all that light on during the daytime (it's great at night). So, I want to turn off the headlights as DRLs, hopefully without having to swap back the PCM just to turn this option off.

So I went to my indy mechanic and he hooked up the computer to the OBD port and tried to code the car to turn off the headlights as DRLs. Each time he did, the computer said that the DRLs were off, but then they stayed on (they flickered for a second and then were on again).

He accidentally removed my Sports Chrono Plus, but is getting the code to reactivate that from Porsche and is going to recode for me so I have the sports button again.

I really don't want to have to remove my current head unit and put in the PCM just to turn off the DRLs. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2022, 03:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

you need to do it in the PCM menu.

the durametric/piwis/foxwell - allows you to enable pcm control of DRLs - but not the actually on/off itself.
The following users liked this post:
Jfor (02-28-2024)
Old 02-24-2022, 08:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,558 Likes on 4,172 Posts

Guessing there might be an extra really installed that makes them on all the time. See if there's a socket in the relay panel for DRL and what removing that does. That might allow the coding change to take effect.effect. Was this a Canadian car?

Quick Reply: Turn off DRLs on 997.1 S without PCM installed?