Sponsored by:

Handbrake cable replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 11:59 AM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Handbrake cable replacement question

Replacing the handbrake cables on my 2006 997.1, and I am puzzled.

The old cables appear to have a collar that slid on to the tube entering the body, but the new cable does not.

Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2022, 12:32 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 178K miles

Yea, this is really confusing and a royal pain. I suspect, but don't know, the .2 and .1 are the same design.

When I replaced my hub (knuckle / wheel carrier), I had to remove the cable. In the parts catalog, it shows the tube as a separate part from the cable, but on my car, the tube was permanently attached to the cable end. I had to get that tube out of the carrier and it was a royal pain. I did not replace the cable, so I reinserted the tube into the new hub.

I suspect that on your car, you must somehow remove the end of the cable from inside that tube and re-insert your new cable. Again, after pulling the tube/cable out of the hub... it sure looked like a permanent single piece... at first, I tried to pull the cable out of the tube as the diagrams noted but no way was that going to budge... I can;t remember exactly, but I think it showed signs of being crimp welded... but memory ain't so good.

So.... I pulled the tube out of the hub. I suggest you do this as it looks like you cut the cable.... you now need to manipulate that tube to get that cable end out. How did I get the tube out? First, I put a set of vice grips on the tube careful to bite the tube without deforming it. Then, I took a can of compressed air... the cans you buy at the computer or photography store for like $3.... turned it upside down (with the little red straw) and sprayed the freezing fluid into the inside of the tube. I froze the f'r. It worked!!!! Honestly, I could not believe it. It was enough that I could twist the tube and work it out. For re-insertion, I lubricated the hole and froze the tube again. It is critical that you get the tube all the way in as the tolerances to re-attach the cables at the lever-end are stupid tight. As you already discovered, the emergency brake shoes and lever is a mess to get right... but anywho... I attached the cable at the shoe end and pulled it tight to keep the assembly from falling apart. Oh a tip: make sure the emergency brake lever is all the way down to give you the most slack.... I didn't realize it, but somehow I had the brake at the first click and no way was that cable going on.... wasted tons of time before I figured out that dopey move. Oh... turn the adjustment in the brake shoe very loose to give you even more slack... you will need it. The brakes are pretty easy to adjust once you get it all together.

I have no idea how to get the cable out of that tube... but I suspect some flame and heat will do it. Again, it looked like a permanent bond to me.

Update: as I see your new cable has a rubber/plastic ring that appears to be inserted into the flange of the tube. Maybe just a torch on it will melt/soften that rubber and the cable will just pull out. You may be able to do it without removing the tube from the hub.

Post how you deal with it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-05-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:49 PM
willmip
Racer

Just to confirm, this is not the tube attached to the carrier, but where the cable enters the car, adjacent to the gearbox.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:35 AM
willmip
Racer

Simple as it turns out. They changed the cable.

Collar

No collar

Quick Reply: Handbrake cable replacement question