Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While you're in there (cats, water pump, mounts)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022 | 12:21 AM
Wharf Rat
Advanced

Default While you're in there (cats, water pump, mounts)

The "while you're in there" snowball has started rolling downhill and I'm wondering if I'm not thinking about this right or if I'm missing anything. I bought an 06 C2S with only 46k miles last summer. Car was stone stock, dealer maintained, and a SOCAL car. Everything looks perfect on/under the car. I bought Tubi mufflers for it and while it sounds great I want it louder. I now have a set of the Soul cats/midpipe on the way.

Here's the question... motor mounts, water pump, thermostat, and coolant tank haven't been replaced, EVER. I should probably do that all now since I'll have the midpipe and airbox out of the way and the mounts loose to do the cats anyway, right? Not that I want more to do/spend but is there anything else I should tackle while I'm in there?
Old 02-03-2022 | 12:46 AM
aramosc
Rennlist Member

Idler pulleys, alternator pulley and belt if they haven’t been replaced.
Old 02-06-2022 | 06:55 PM
Wharf Rat
Advanced

Belt was done by dealer before I bought the car so that's covered. Went ahead and ordered the pulleys though, too. Prolly not a bad idea.
Old 02-06-2022 | 07:20 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Water Pump and low temp thermostat wouldn't be a bad idea ... Just did mine 1st time on the car with 60k miles ..pump was ok all things considered . I would not touch the mounts, likely unnecessary with the miles you have . When was the last plug / coil pack replacement ?
Old 02-06-2022 | 07:32 PM
Wharf Rat
Advanced

Motor mounts, water pump, thermostat, and coolant tank are already ordered.

Stock mounts are 16 years old. Seems like a long time so I ordered the upgraded ones from Function First.

Plugs were done at the last dealer service before I bought it. Coil packs might be original??? No record of them being changed that I can find.
Old 02-06-2022 | 08:17 PM
JRBucks
Racer

I mean you're in there right? It's preventive maintenance. You know you'll hate yourself if your exhaust pipe is sagging in a few months or your pump starts squeaking. Do it, you'll sleep better.
Old 02-07-2022 | 01:01 AM
aramosc
Rennlist Member

+1 on the motor mounts. My car had the originals and they were sagging quite before I replaced them with the rennline semi solids. My car is an ‘08.
Old 02-07-2022 | 05:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Check Rear Main Seal Seepage when it's on the rack. Common issue.
Also Axle boot tears good to scope out
Old 02-07-2022 | 09:05 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

My water pump started leaking heavily in December at 55,000 miles. I had been accumulating some parts for mods/improvements when the time came. So to celebrate the new year at 55k on the clock I replaced the water pump, went to an LN t-stat, replaced my starter solving my hot start problem, replaced my oil pressure sending unit which was all over the board, replaced my exhaust with Fabspeed headers and high flow cats, installed new O2 sensors, changed my plugs, changed the ignition modules, installed Porsche RS motor mounts, Function First trans mounts, Function First cable ends, Function First Shift Right solution, changed the trans/diff fluid and put some new Mobil One in the engine. Believe it or not, my son and I did that fairly quickly and didn't even have to lie to my wife about how much we spent because she was so happy to see him in the garage that she never asked. After we finished, we purchased some new tires which made me remember how great it is to have new rubber and the only thing left to do is get a new head unit because somehow the screen on my OEM PCM has self-destructed from the South Florida heat and humidity. Now that it's totally sorted out, I'll be able to keep it for a long time, of course that's what I said about my 993 cab before a kind German man purchased it and it got loaded into a shipping container and exported back to Germany where it's tearing up the roads today. I still hear from the guy who bought my 79 SC on Facebook. My point is if we spend the money and take care of these cars, they last a very long time.

Quick Reply: While you're in there (cats, water pump, mounts)