Sponsored by:

Failed PCM 2.1 Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 07:02 PM
Agjoe92
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed PCM 2.1 Head Unit

My screen on PCM 2.1 Unit and CD player is not working. Unit is on a 2005 C2S. Where is a good place to get repaired?
Old 01-31-2022, 08:14 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Becker audio in new jersey works on Porsche radios.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:07 AM
Caferacer59
Track Day

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts

does any one happen to know if the PCM units for a 997.1 are the same for bose/non-bose

Thanks
Old 02-01-2022, 02:10 PM
ergi
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bose = optic fibers signal from PCM to Bose amp.
non Bose = outputs for speakers or low level outputs for HiFi amp.
PCM versions are differents

PCM are not reliable, I replaced my PCM3.0 with Bose by a Kenwood 2DIN last year on official Porsche workshop advise !
Old 02-22-2022, 10:21 AM
ivluta
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

I went through this and researched my options. Yes, you can replace the head unit with a newer android/apple integrated unit. I actually looked into this with Crutchfield in C’ville. Excellent car stereo install techs on site. But my only question that could not be definitely answered was the integration with steering wheel controls and also with the digital instrument cluster.

I decided to keep PCM and did the repair myself. Cloned the HDD to SSD using in excellent instructions on this forum. No issues since.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:34 AM
Agjoe92
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had unit repaired

I had the unit repaired by Becker Autosound in NJ. They repaired and I paid for the Bluetooth upgrade.

There was a scare with the install and I had to run the car to charge the electrical system to get unit to activate. But, in the end, the system works great with the option to play music from my phone. Wirelessly.

Thanks for all of the input!
Old 03-12-2024, 05:45 PM
manipou
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 997 with PCM 2.1 with Bose. The head unit failed completely and I searched google for PCM repairs. The first company that came up was Cartronics also known as PCM repairs. The seem to have the monopoly on Google natural search, I can only assume they get most of the PCM business here in the UK.

I called to ask what the best thing for me to do was. I was told to send in my faulty head unit to have a £79 assessment to determine what was needed. Only then could they tell me how much it would cost to repair. I asked for a ball park figure and was sternly told there was no way he could give any idea of cost until he saw the unit.

Given the failures on these items are normally fairly common, the range of problems cant be large, I asked what an average price was to repair, again, I was told it doesn't work like that, no idea of price could be given unless he saw the item.

I asked what the best and worst case scenario was so that I could way up my options. Again, no help with that at all.

I asked what the average cost was of his last 10 repairs. Again no prices given and he came across as rude and arrogant.

So, I quickly decided that I would not be giving any business to them and investigated more online. I found some other forum posts where other people had the same experience with Cartronics, one person had a quote of £800 and decided to take the unit back and look for alternative solutions.

I assume that once he has the unit the customer has a higher chance of accepting his quote, whatever it is.

My PCM 2.1 has the part number 997.642.143.02 which is the PCM 2.1 with Bose. The identical unit for cars without Bose is 997.642.141.03

I read on another post that that cars that have Bose can use the 'non Bose' PCM 2.1 and it was plug and play with no coding needed. Apparently it doesn't work the other way around though...

I found a very nice PCM 2.1 'non Bose' on Ebay for £130. Plugged it in and it fired straight up and worked perfectly. The functions on the steering wheel all work too.

So for anyone that has a similar problem, I would say that Ebay might be a much better option than trying to get their unit repaired.

Quick Reply: Failed PCM 2.1 Head Unit