Sponsored by:

new aftermarket pcm for 997.1 with volume knobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022 | 12:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Default new aftermarket pcm for 997.1 with volume *****

This just popped up in my email.

from what i can tell, its the same screen/processor type as all previous android based pcm systems with the maxxed out 8" 16:9 screen size that can physically fit in the pcm.

pros
===
- first aftermarket pcm in volcanic grey in color, so it saves the 997.1 painting/color match pita stuff
- first grey pcm with physical volume *****

cons
===
- not 100% sure if it supports carplay/AA (may need dongle) but its just a matter of time before before carplay/aa support will be built in imho
- this unit looks a little underpowered specs wise at first glance, but again its just a matter of time b4 the 4g ram versions come out, similar to the other android decks.

so who is first to buy this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

Last edited by myw; 01-21-2022 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tkersting (01-22-2022)
Old 01-21-2022 | 02:38 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myw
This just popped up in my email.

from what i can tell, its the same screen/processor type as all previous android based pcm systems with the maxxed out 8" 16:9 screen size that can physically fit in the pcm.

pros
===
- first aftermarket pcm in volcanic grey in color, so it saves the 997.1 painting/color match pita stuff
- first grey pcm with physical volume *****

cons
===
- not 100% sure if it supports carplay/AA (may need dongle) but its just a matter of time before before carplay/aa support will be built in imho
- this unit looks a little underpowered specs wise at first glance, but again its just a matter of time b4 the 4g ram versions come out, similar to the other android decks.

so who is first to buy this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch
The tech in these is pretty similar across the board with the no-name Chinese made stuff, right? I have two similar set ups in our Benzes, got them for CarPlay. The CarPlay is wireless but I actually prefer the wired setups I put in my older Benz and my 997 - those both have Sony head units in them. Figure it's a bit more reliable. Sometimes on the Chinese ones they drop out of the local wifi and requires connecting the Bluetooth so that it gets onto the local wifi again. Otherwise I'm fairly happy with them, but this setup for 9x7s is nice with the *****. On my newer Benzes we're able to use the OE rotary multimedia controllers which is nice, but it also depends which internal software used to connect to the local wifi. For instance, I'm using the internal software on my 204 Benz, but the wife's 166 Benz uses 'autokit' wifi and the **** functionality isn't there.

This 9x7 set up is probably going to be less than half or maybe a third of the cost of the 9x7 PCCM with CarPlay when it comes out, so might be worth thinking about. You gonna grab one?
Tkersting (01-22-2022)
Old 01-25-2022 | 02:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
The tech in these is pretty similar across the board with the no-name Chinese made stuff, right? I have two similar set ups in our Benzes, got them for CarPlay. The CarPlay is wireless but I actually prefer the wired setups I put in my older Benz and my 997 - those both have Sony head units in them. Figure it's a bit more reliable. Sometimes on the Chinese ones they drop out of the local wifi and requires connecting the Bluetooth so that it gets onto the local wifi again. Otherwise I'm fairly happy with them, but this setup for 9x7s is nice with the *****. On my newer Benzes we're able to use the OE rotary multimedia controllers which is nice, but it also depends which internal software used to connect to the local wifi. For instance, I'm using the internal software on my 204 Benz, but the wife's 166 Benz uses 'autokit' wifi and the **** functionality isn't there.

This 9x7 set up is probably going to be less than half or maybe a third of the cost of the 9x7 PCCM with CarPlay when it comes out, so might be worth thinking about. You gonna grab one?
i believe so. these android systems are basically the same across all cars.

in my lexus daily driver I installed a module plugging in the back of the factory pcm system (basically an android box) grom VL2. uses all the oem screen + controls. The factory screen being 400p resolution, and not being super responsive does show its age at times. But overall I cant complain. Carplay I actually stopped using as running everything on native android mode is so much more powerful overall. No wifi/wireless issues really.

In my 911 , i have the full pcm replacement (the chinese units without the volume *****). the screen is large and its full 720p. Carplay works fine, altho the connection is a little buggy. Nevertheless, i feel it does run better in android mode overall as well.

Once this grey pcm with the buttons uses a faster CPU, more memory, more usb outlets (to support more options) + carplay/AA. I assume it will sell well. I doubt i will buy it as I already have my unit.
Old 02-01-2022 | 03:14 PM
juvenescence
Advanced

I'm new to automotive audio and Porsche stuff in general, but does PCM replacement mean that these units are essentially plug and play with the factory harnesses without adapters? The listing photos show a lot of adapters and wires. Also, carplay/aa requires a separate $50 add-on, which isn't terrible, but at $700 before any add-ons, I don't quite see how much of an improvement this would be over a Sony/Pioneer/etc unit with a MOST adapter, especially since you can DIY everything for under $500
Old 03-12-2022 | 10:21 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/10050...martRedirect=y

In black color
Old 03-12-2022 | 02:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by juvenescence
I'm new to automotive audio and Porsche stuff in general, but does PCM replacement mean that these units are essentially plug and play with the factory harnesses without adapters? The listing photos show a lot of adapters and wires. Also, carplay/aa requires a separate $50 add-on, which isn't terrible, but at $700 before any add-ons, I don't quite see how much of an improvement this would be over a Sony/Pioneer/etc unit with a MOST adapter, especially since you can DIY everything for under $500
yes , plug + play. they come with harness adapters for both 997.1 + 997.2

carPlay / AA add-ons is for lower end models. on the Higher end models carplay/AA is built in into the unit.

as for sony/pioneer etc vs the android decks, there is no comparison in functionality. the android decks can run anything + everything. youtube, netflix disney plus, obdii apps, smart dash cam modules (supporting lane change assist/collision asset warning)... anything that a phone or tablet can run. also, tapping into the multifunction wheel etc works flawlessly with the android units, but for my friends pioneer deck on his 997. it was finicky as hell. I'm also not sure why a mostHur adapter costs 300$ for the branded models when the android ones are maybe 80-90$.

While people get the pcm deck update for primarily AA/carplay - the true power is running the android pcm in native mode, the graphics are even better and you get expanded functionality. You can run any single app you run on you phone/tablet.... of course after the novelty has worn off, most of us just use waze/spotify. You wont even run it in carplay/AA over time.

Other notable benefits re the android decks, largest screen possible in the physical pcm space (vs the smaller double din industry standard which wastes real estate and looks aftermarket), a real HD (1280x720p) screen while most pcms (and branded decks, and even the 996 pccm+) tops out at 1024x 576p i believe.

As for support, android decks are the same for ALL cars (they are mated to just a diff bezel + largest screen size that fits), and has some make/model specific settings (ie. steering wheel protocols) .... and they have been out for YEARS. the trick to trouble shooting is not to necessarily look at 997 forums if issues arise, but to just do a quick google search and almost any/all issues will have the EXACT answers on another collective forum re android deck for a diff model car. ALL trouble shooting issues have been solved YEARS ago.

while i am aware that there were a few issues where owners were arguing with the distributor for 6-9 months, but when configuring my android pcm.... the technical trouble shooting answers were easy for me to find. I made sure to document them all (installation + technical) on the massive android pcm thread on this forum.

Last edited by myw; 03-12-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Pedro Lopes (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022 | 07:42 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

For a 997.2 which brand do you recommend more owtosin or xtrons?
Old 03-14-2022 | 05:43 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Pedro Lopes
For a 997.2 which brand do you recommend more owtosin or xtrons?
both are good, i know xTrons has a better name (and potentially *may* have higher baked in 'brand pricing'). personally I havent compared.

owTowsin has been good to me. bob luo has been good+fair to me in terms of support as well. With that said, he is still selling the older unit that is merely a screen with no buttons (same as mine).

These new 2022 units with 997 oem looking fonts + volume buttons etc etc overall aesthetics will surely be the fav (if not the aftermarket standard) as all aftermarket manufactures will use the same/similar design.

Esp so if the pccm+ 997 doesnt provide backup camera input (like the 996 pccm+ doesnt seem to) despite being reSkinned aftermarket android deck. These new 2022 pcms look worlds more oem compared to the dynavin. There is no comparison.

Last edited by myw; 03-14-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Pedro Lopes (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022 | 07:01 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw
both are good, i know xTrons has a better name (and potentially *may* have higher baked in 'brand pricing'). personally I havent compared.

owTowsin has been good to me. bob luo has been good+fair to me in terms of support as well. With that said, he is still selling the older unit that is merely a screen with no buttons (same as mine).

These new 2022 units with 997 oem looking fonts + volume buttons etc etc overall aesthetics will surely be the fav (if not the aftermarket standard) as all aftermarket manufactures will use the same/similar design.

Esp so if the pccm+ 997 doesnt provide backup camera input (like the 996 pccm+ doesnt seem to) despite being reSkinned aftermarket android deck. These new 2022 pcms look worlds more oem compared to the dynavin. There is no comparison.
This with buttons is a little more expensive...really don't know what is better for my case as I don't have MF steering wheel. I like it without the ***** but maybe the volume sound would be a problem.

Old 03-15-2022 | 07:59 AM
Pedro Lopes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myw

Instaling this android units, do you lose heated seats or ventilated? How can one check the trip info? thx
Old 03-15-2022 | 12:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Instaling this android units, do you lose heated seats or ventilated? How can one check the trip info? thx
you wont lose any seat heating functions, that is a completely diff module in the HVAC. there are different harnesses + modules.

any aftermarket deck/pcm ... weather it be android based deck, branded deck (sony, kenwood), dynavin or even the porsche pccm+ 996/997 (are reskinned Chinese android decks).

NONE of these are genuine oem products - unlike the becker pcm that comes with our cars initially.

You will LOSE trip info and all pcm menu access functions unless you are running the ONLY true-oem original factory unit. anything/everything else you will lose the functionality you mention, being an aftermarket product.

Note that some of the pcm functionality (ie. sport chronos) can be accessed via the stalk attached to the steering column.

Last edited by myw; 03-15-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2022 | 12:24 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

if you dont have MF, id get the one with the *****.

EVERYONE that doesn't have MF wheel complains re lack of *****. even volume 'buttons' (not *****) on many branded units.... i have read complaints re 997 owners to the point that some of them even uninstalled them and went back to oem becker pcm.

you either pay more for the pcm with *****, or pay for the MF upgrade to get the functionality you want. pick your poison.

there are other solutions, but they look and perhaps feel very aftermarket. OR you can wait another year as these new oem looking android **** pcms will become come down in price as all manufacturers inevitability go with this design.

This with buttons is a little more expensive...really don't know what is better for my case as I don't have MF steering wheel. I like it without the ***** but maybe the volume sound would be a problem.

Last edited by myw; 03-15-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Pedro Lopes (03-15-2022)
Old 02-16-2023 | 05:40 PM
marshy19
4th Gear

@myw Any chance you have the thread on the install handy? Also in a few other posts you mention a Facebook group where you have documented the install. Can you send me the name of the group so I can request access?

I have 997.1 S with Bose, no steering wheel controls. Adding front and rear cameras. For the camera you mentioned in one post about a type you liked where you simply drill a small hole in the bumper. Any recommendations or sources? I found this one from Owtosin. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

As to the stereo I was looking at this one from Owtosin.

I also need a MOSplay to plug the Bose optical line into correct? Is the "optical fiber power amplifier" on the owtosin option the way to go? Any other good sources of that? I seem to recall that I will lose fader function as most do not support that.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Last edited by marshy19; 02-16-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2023 | 08:54 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

hi @marshy19

install posts start here - there are many (install, cameras, debugging etc) - i have written on this thread - make sure to go thru it and save the info you need.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17543994

to keep things in one thread, pls post any questions (assuming they havent been carefully answered already) on the thread above - as it pertains to primarily the owTowsin unit.

the fb thread is called '997 retrofit + modfications' - search + join - it will be my pleasure to add you.

indeed, you will need the most hurAdapter if you have bose - you can purchase it directly from owTowin. the specific install instructions are in that thread above 3 splices. yes you will lose the fader but its all documented in the linked thread re how to deal with it - the rear speakers will still work even without the fader.

i will try to release a diff MOST adapter based on the 4 channel porsche one, or produce a harness that can be used for the porsche one.

that parking cam you linked is good, i think its close to what i use (altho mine is slightly even lower profile and more invisible - you can always msg the help person re owTowsin and tell them you want the exact camera michael wong uses) - and that android pcm you linked, is the one i designed - pls use coupon code MYWOCM to get a few extra dollars off. i have many videos re my pcm on the facebook page - showing everything functioning and how it all looks + feels.

feel free to post any questions on that thread - i will answer!

michael

Originally Posted by marshy19
@myw Any chance you have the thread on the install handy? Also in a few other posts you mention a Facebook group where you have documented the install. Can you send me the name of the group so I can request access?

I have 997.1 S with Bose, no steering wheel controls. Adding front and rear cameras. For the camera you mentioned in one post about a type you liked where you simply drill a small hole in the bumper. Any recommendations or sources? I found this one from Owtosin. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

As to the stereo I was looking at this one from Owtosin.

I also need a MOSplay to plug the Bose optical line into correct? Is the "optical fiber power amplifier" on the owtosin option the way to go? Any other good sources of that? I seem to recall that I will lose fader function as most do not support that.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Last edited by myw; 02-16-2023 at 11:30 PM.
marshy19 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023 | 12:01 PM
marshy19
4th Gear

Originally Posted by myw
hi @marshy19

the fb thread is called '997 retrofit + modfications' - search + join - it will be my pleasure to add you.

michael
@mym My membership is still pending on FB... Any chance you can prod the admin?? I know my FB profile is rather lacking as I deleted it years ago and just recently created a new one.

Quick Reply: new aftermarket pcm for 997.1 with volume knobs