Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise diagnosis - high pitched squeal with ignition ON prior to cold start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 03:07 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default noise diagnosis - high pitched squeal with ignition ON prior to cold start

Hi all, I apologize for not having that much to go on. I have only had my first Porsche for a couple weeks now, and it's emitting a sound I don't recognize that I don't think is normal. It is a 2006 C4S cab with about 118k miles. It's a high pitched squeal. It happens most (but not all of the time), at first I thought it was when I turned on the engine, but I found that when I just turn the key to the on position (e.g. to get the oil level reading in dash) it does it then too. It only lasts for less than a second but it's noticeable. I haven't yet had someone cause it while I was outside the vehicle to try and localize or record it. Does this sound at all familiar, or anyone with suggestions with what to look for? I will probably be setting up its 120k service sometime in the next few weeks and I could ask them to identify/diagnose but thought I'd ask here first. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,706 Likes on 4,263 Posts

Maybe the fuel pump primes with key on prior to starting. Does it sound like a brief buzzing for a couple seconds as that would be normal for a fuel pump prime. At your mileage, it's possible the pump may be going bad as well, but we don't see a lot of fuel pump replacements on the non-DFI cars.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:50 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Maybe the fuel pump primes with key on prior to starting. Does it sound like a brief buzzing for a couple seconds as that would be normal for a fuel pump prime. At your mileage, it's possible the pump may be going bad as well, but we don't see a lot of fuel pump replacements on the non-DFI cars.
Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't say it sounds like a buzzing at all, and I don't think it lasts quite that long. I'll see if I can get a recording and whether I can localize it and report back.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:29 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2006 S that just started doing the same thing. When I keep the ignition to start the car a high-pitched squeal is emitted from the frunk area, seemingly near the windshield. It's only noticeable when I key the ignition to engage the starter. It's very loud and quite noticable.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:34 PM
onnastick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Michaelc
I have a 2006 S that just started doing the same thing. When I keep the ignition to start the car a high-pitched squeal is emitted from the frunk area, seemingly near the windshield. It's only noticeable when I key the ignition to engage the starter. It's very loud and quite noticable.
Thank you for the validation and info. Let me know if you figure anything out and I'll do the same.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:28 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

I surely will. I'm hoping someone else on the forum has experienced this issue. I find it quite annoying that my car making this horrible noise, not to mention it doesn't sound like whatever's making the noise will cure itself.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:39 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by onnastick
Hi all, I apologize for not having that much to go on. I have only had my first Porsche for a couple weeks now, and it's emitting a sound I don't recognize that I don't think is normal. It is a 2006 C4S cab with about 118k miles. It's a high pitched squeal. It happens most (but not all of the time), at first I thought it was when I turned on the engine, but I found that when I just turn the key to the on position (e.g. to get the oil level reading in dash) it does it then too. It only lasts for less than a second but it's noticeable. I haven't yet had someone cause it while I was outside the vehicle to try and localize or record it. Does this sound at all familiar, or anyone with suggestions with what to look for? I will probably be setting up its 120k service sometime in the next few weeks and I could ask them to identify/diagnose but thought I'd ask here first. Thank you.
Count me in also. I have the exact same thing but have not investigated it yet. Part of me is leaning to it being a flap in the HVAC system opening when the key is energized. Someday I might get around to tracking it down.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:51 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

I was thinking my noise was possibly from the HVAC as well. I hate that idea because a fix can't be inexpensive in that area.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:24 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 266 Posts

Blower fan spinning up? Make sure the fan is off when you turn off the car, then try again.

CD drive in the PCM or frunk changer, maybe?
Old 01-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

I will try with the HVAC off when I start the car and see if it changes things.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:40 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

I turned off the radio and shut down the auto HVAC. When I keyed the car it made no noise like what I was experiencing. So i turned everything back on, shut the car off, gave it a minute and started it again. No noise this time either. I'm going to let it sit overnight and try it again in the morning.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:24 PM
Ernie Jabour
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaelc
I turned off the radio and shut down the auto HVAC. When I keyed the car it made no noise like what I was experiencing. So i turned everything back on, shut the car off, gave it a minute and started it again. No noise this time either. I'm going to let it sit overnight and try it again in the morning.
So, I dig around a little just now. It is definitely coming from the frunk area, wayyy louder than in the cabin. I need another set of hands to turn the key while I isolate further but it very well could be the fuel pump or the cd changer as others have stated.

Here is a video for your listening pleasure.

https://youtu.be/9N8UWBxqKb8

Last edited by Ernie Jabour; 01-14-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,706 Likes on 4,263 Posts

No idea what that is, but it's not right.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:45 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ernie Jabour
So, I dig around a little just now. It is definitely coming from the frunk area, wayyy louder than in the cabin. I need another set of hands to turn the key while I isolate further but it very well could be the fuel pump or the cd changer as others have stated.
Yeah, definitely not normal. Only stuff I can think of up there is, as you said, the fuel pump or a CD drive (either the CD changer, or maybe there's a DVD drive for the Nav up there? I don't recall on the 987.1). Could also be something in the fuel vapor system, maybe the DMTL (leak detect) pump?

You could try pulling fuses one at a time, see if it makes a difference (obviously don't try to start the car with the fuse pulled).

[Edit: crap, that's the 987 fuse diagram, lemme see if I can find the 997 one]

Last edited by MrMoose; 01-14-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:52 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Okay, 997 fuses here: https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...diagram-376033

D1 is the fuel pump, D5 looks like the DMTL pump and tank stuff, and D9 is the CD/DVD/Nav stuff

Quick Reply: noise diagnosis - high pitched squeal with ignition ON prior to cold start