Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 or 991? Modern Porsche without risk of significant mechanical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021 | 12:07 PM
GT3 Yourself
Intermediate

Default 997.2 or 991? Modern Porsche without risk of significant mechanical issue?

Hi all, I'm posting to ask for guidance on models to look into; specifically, by engine.

I'm a new member and will be purchasing my first sports car in 2025. With an interest in the combination of motorsports heritage, build quality, and performance, I found my way to Porsche. My ideal car would be something like the 718 GTS 4.0 or the Porsche 997.2. I am not purchasing the car as a value-based asset but purely for recreational driving / weekend cruising, with the plan to drive it for a long duration (10+ years at a minimum, will likely be a heritage car in my family). I've looked at other sports cars (BMW, Audi, AMG, Corvette), but I keep coming back to Porsche for all of the reasons that are obvious to members of this forum.

I'm looking to spend ~$70k. After reading Excellence and other sources I've settled on basically buying the newest model 911 that falls into my price range. I've been, to be honest, disappointed in some of the mechanical issues with the more recent model 911s. I know there are readily available fixes for the IMS issue and bore scoring, but after settling on the 997.2 as what seemed to be the ideal model for me, I've been disappointed to read about bore scoring. I know this will trigger members of the group ("it's not a lethal issue!" "it's rare!" "it can be identified and fixed!"), but I frankly don't want to have to worry about it. Now I'm seeing discussion on the forum that this same issue could be encountered in certain 991 models. By the sticky'd survey, 5% of 997.2 owners have endorsed bore scoring in their engines. That's a higher incidence than I would prefer to deal with.

Can anyone better versed in the 911 models and engines provide me some guidance on models to look into that don't have a risk of significant mechanical issues? This would be very helpful for me.

Appreciate it,

Old 12-27-2021 | 12:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

All Porsche models have had engine issues starting with the poorly cooled 356. If you search you will find the long list I have posted over last 15 years.
I don't have time to write a novel for you.

Old 12-27-2021 | 12:58 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

You have three years to digest thousands of threads on Rennlist and thousands of hours on YouTube.

Search Google with “site:Rennlist.com”.

BTW, the pricing of today likely won’t be the pricing of tomorrow.

I bought my 2009 C2 6MT with 40k miles for $39k, those days are long gone.

Prices may be higher or lower in 3 years.

Good luck and happy reading.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 12-27-2021 at 01:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
groovzilla (12-27-2021), JVinPortland (01-01-2022)
Old 12-27-2021 | 01:12 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Yourself
models and engines provide me some guidance on models to look into that don't have a risk of significant mechanical issues? ,
Internal combustion engines have more moving parts and are under the greatest strain than any other component in a car and as governments require higher MPG and lower emissions, the complexities will increase and thus the risks will ever increase.

With that said, can you provide examples of engines in 2025 "that don't have a risk of significant mechanical issues"? It is an easy answer.
Old 12-27-2021 | 01:23 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Did you mean to say 2022? ... 2025 is 3 years from now and a lot of things can change.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (01-01-2022)
Old 12-27-2021 | 01:45 PM
997ajk
Pro

All cars have their issues and particular failures, 997.1 have more then 997.2s , 991s have been decent, especially if coming from warmer states. Alot of issues stem from people not taking care of the car and driving like they stole it in the first 10 minutes.

Most reliable will be 991.2 and 718 Caymans... many changes and revisions have been made, less likely to score the bore, PDK has been revised and simply it will be newer components and less likely to have been underserviced. Entropy is the name of the game.

Old 12-27-2021 | 01:59 PM
mpath
Racer

For around your budget you may want to take a look at this and call it a day: https://www.astonmartin.com/en/our-w...ing-simulators
Old 12-27-2021 | 02:00 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

First, welcome to RL. The hunt is almost rewarding as finding your car. There is a wealth of information here about all the flavors of 997. Probably not what you want to hear but nobody can truly tell you what to buy. There is a risk spectrum of owning a 997 and only you can determine where you are most comfortable. If a 5% take rate of scoring* on 997.2 engines freaks you out, then it's probably not the right car for you. How badly do you want to own/drive a Porsche and how much risk are you willing to assume during ownership?

Your original post mentions either a 911 (997.2 or 991) or a 718. Fundamentally, these platforms provide a different driving experience. The 911s will give you the traditional rear-engine experience, although with modern electronics, it is very difficult to get the rear end out to hurt you unless you are hooning it and turn off the nannies. The 718 mid-engine layout will give you a very neutral feel and will go where you want it to go, almost telepathic. It's like a go-kart type of feeling and true point-and-shoot driving whereas driving a 911 requires more forethought and preparation entering and exiting corners. IMO, 911s are more sensitive to driver inputs (shifting, gas, braking) than a Cayman/Boxster. If you get it right in a 911, it can be more rewarding (at least I think so) but it will bite you in the *** more if you get it wrong. The Cayman or Boxster will not bite as hard and is more forgiving. All are very fun to drive. It just depends on your preference and driving style.

Drive both as many cars as you can. The 991 will feel different than the 997 because it is slightly longer, has a significantly longer wheelbase (+4") than the 997, and will feel bigger too. If that doesn't bother you, it might be the ticket. To me, I am not sure there is any difference in reliability and risk of ownership between a 997.2 and 991 and it would come down to other personal preferences. But every generation supposedly is better technology and engineering-wise than the last so perhaps the 991 will prove to be superior over the long run.

Regardless of what you buy, get a PPI, borescope, and find a seller who has maintained the car well. I've owned 4 airlcooled, 3 997s, and a 981 Boxster GTS. I've found reading the sellers and how they have owned the car is just as important as the car itself. The risks of ownership can be mitigated with good maintenance and caretaking. For example, properly warming up the car before getting on it, timely oil changes, and good preventative maintenance.

Do your research. Practically every issue and question about these cars has been discussed and addressed on RL. When you find a candidate, post it up here and you will get plenty of feedback and opinions to help inform your decision. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

* Bore scoring on 997.1 is different than the symptoms of cylinder scoring in 997.2. The former is due to cylinder liner material issues, the latter due to cylinder seizures. Do your research and pick your poison on which you would be willing to deal with, if any.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 12-27-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2021 | 02:04 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

This has to be a goof, who starts planning to buy a used car 3-4 years in the future? Albeit 911's are nice but come on. Was the year a typo?
fuzebox (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021 | 02:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Didn't see/read the purchase 3-4 years in future? We may all be dead so maybe try and buy one sooner.
Or visit one of those Fortune Tellers they may have some better insight.

linderpat (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021 | 02:37 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997ajk

Most reliable will be 991.2 and 718 Caymans...
IDK about the 991.2. Having previously owned one I didn’t like the location of the turbos. Close to the rear wheels and susceptible to damage from road debris and potential corrosion. My crystal ball says there will be some long term reliability issues. They repositioned the turbos in the 992. Also as cars get more complex it means more control modules which are more long term points of failure. Early 991s seem to have lots of issues with changeover valve failures as well. The simpler the better when it comes to durability.
Old 12-28-2021 | 10:54 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Yourself
Hi all, I'm posting to ask for guidance on models to look into; specifically, by engine.

I'm a new member and will be purchasing my first sports car in 2025. With an interest in the combination of motorsports heritage, build quality, and performance, I found my way to Porsche. My ideal car would be something like the 718 GTS 4.0 or the Porsche 997.2. I am not purchasing the car as a value-based asset but purely for recreational driving / weekend cruising, with the plan to drive it for a long duration (10+ years at a minimum, will likely be a heritage car in my family). I've looked at other sports cars (BMW, Audi, AMG, Corvette), but I keep coming back to Porsche for all of the reasons that are obvious to members of this forum.

I'm looking to spend ~$70k. After reading Excellence and other sources I've settled on basically buying the newest model 911 that falls into my price range. I've been, to be honest, disappointed in some of the mechanical issues with the more recent model 911s. I know there are readily available fixes for the IMS issue and bore scoring, but after settling on the 997.2 as what seemed to be the ideal model for me, I've been disappointed to read about bore scoring. I know this will trigger members of the group ("it's not a lethal issue!" "it's rare!" "it can be identified and fixed!"), but I frankly don't want to have to worry about it. Now I'm seeing discussion on the forum that this same issue could be encountered in certain 991 models. By the sticky'd survey, 5% of 997.2 owners have endorsed bore scoring in their engines. That's a higher incidence than I would prefer to deal with.

Can anyone better versed in the 911 models and engines provide me some guidance on models to look into that don't have a risk of significant mechanical issues? This would be very helpful for me.

Appreciate it,
I have owned a 911 in one form or another for about 45 continuous years, and I expect my base 2011 997.2 six speed with 45,000 miles ,which I purchased new , to be my “heritage “ car. So wonderful to drive, no problems, and in my mind, it feels like it will last forever. It’s difficult to put my finger on why I like it so much, but it’s basically a combination of what I consider a perfect size , weight, and power, and a really good sound (I do have PSE). When I did the build on this car, I was thinking it might be a “forever” car, so I didn’t order options which might be a problem in the future, such as PDK and PASM, and I’m convinced that I made the correct choice.

happy hunting, mike

Last edited by mk85911; 12-28-2021 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mk85911:
groovzilla (02-04-2022), Nine9Se7en_YYC (02-11-2022)
Old 12-28-2021 | 11:33 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

If the OP is contemplating getting a 718 GTS for around $70k - good luck with that one...

There is a gold mine of information within the Rennlist forums. But you have to be willing to "get your hands dirty" so to speak, to get at it.

Come on, - if you have 3 years before you're ready to make a purchase, you should be able to pull the information you're seeking together.

Old 12-28-2021 | 01:10 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

get a Taycan, no engine = no problems
Old 12-28-2021 | 01:41 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

If you are waiting for 2025, don't sweat it...you'll be driving an electric Porsche.....also, you 70K for entry 997.2 or 991 will be 15% higher by then.....best of luck....as mentioned above,,,,,,,good reads will steer you in the right directions.....

Quick Reply: 997.2 or 991? Modern Porsche without risk of significant mechanical issue?