Sponsored by:

Need help with CEL and codes please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 01:06 PM
Xios
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
what's the code this time? No two CEL are the same.
These are the codes using a Blue Driver. I'm going run it through a Durametric later today .

Old 03-27-2022, 01:20 PM
Xios
Instructor

Originally Posted by fpajonk
I had an air-oil separator on a Boxster throwing temper tantrums like that. None of the code pointed to it and it took a second shop to finally fix it.
This is on the list to check as well.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:43 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

@Xios

Do you know which of your codes specifically triggers your CEL? Do all of those codes come back on at the same time?

I also have a P0421 (except mine is P0431, pertaining to Bank 2) that is triggering occasional CELs. I’m still chasing down a solution for mine, but one thing my Indy identified is that I have a minor exhaust leak that I still need to remedy which might be throwing off catalyst readings. I’ve only replaced a pre-cat sensor so far as the shop stated they found a TSB that directed them to try that sensor first, but my code came back the same day so I will try the post-cat sensor next and then look to sealing up my exhaust leak.

For your P0421, it might be worth having your exhaust smoke tested to rule out a leak and/or changing the other O2 sensor.

A lot of your codes also point to you running rich - can you check fuel trims to confirm you’re running rich, and to see how “out of spec” you are? A vacuum test could help confirm the health of your AOS and a smoke test of your intake system would help you rule out vacuum leaks.
The following users liked this post:
Xios (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 02:11 PM
Xios
Instructor

For some reason my post was duplicated. #20 is my edited post.

Last edited by Xios; 03-27-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:15 PM
Xios
Instructor

Originally Posted by ohmyggg
@Xios

Do you know which of your codes specifically triggers your CEL? Do all of those codes come back on at the same time?

I also have a P0421 (except mine is P0431, pertaining to Bank 2) that is triggering occasional CELs. I’m still chasing down a solution for mine, but one thing my Indy identified is that I have a minor exhaust leak that I still need to remedy which might be throwing off catalyst readings. I’ve only replaced a pre-cat sensor so far as the shop stated they found a TSB that directed them to try that sensor first, but my code came back the same day so I will try the post-cat sensor next and then look to sealing up my exhaust leak.

For your P0421, it might be worth having your exhaust smoke tested to rule out a leak and/or changing the other O2 sensor.

A lot of your codes also point to you running rich - can you check fuel trims to confirm you’re running rich, and to see how “out of spec” you are? A vacuum test could help confirm the health of your AOS and a smoke test of your intake system would help you rule out vacuum leaks.

I don't know which code triggers the CEL.

I will check the fuel trims, hopefully later today. Do you know the range of trim spec?

I think the next step is to get a manometer. A couple symptoms that may tie to this is that it idles a bit rough and it burns oil on the higher end of spec and my car is an 09. From the few things I've read so far it sounds like there may have been problems with early .2 AOSs. The car only has 25k miles on it but I will replace the AOS if I get bad vacuum readings, may just replace it anyway.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Xios
Instructor

So this is what the Durametric is coming up with.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:37 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xios
I will check the fuel trims, hopefully later today. Do you know the range of trim spec?
Would love for someone with more experience to chime in, Xios, but based on what I have read, CELs (caused by abnormal fuel mixtures) do not activate until you are 10% out of spec but anything beyond 4-5% over/under is not ideal.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:13 PM
Xios
Instructor

Would love for someone with more experience to chime in, Xios, but based on what I have read, CELs (caused by abnormal fuel mixtures) do not activate until you are 10% out of spec but anything beyond 4-5% over/under is not ideal.
From what I understand, as per the video below, 09 cars and newer the long term fuel trim is measured in milligrams per stroke and the normal range is -3.5 to +3.5 mg per stroke. So I will look for that.

ohmyggg (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 06:43 PM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xios
From what I understand, as per the video below, 09 cars and newer the long term fuel trim is measured in milligrams per stroke and the normal range is -3.5 to +3.5 mg per stroke. So I will look for that.

https://youtu.be/HW7BmBIJDXs
Solid video, and it sounds like you have the right tool (a Durametric) to take some proper readings. I wish you the best of luck, fellow-Xioti.

Will be following along to see how it goes.
Xios (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:44 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 427 Posts

O2 sensors typically don't fail unless its something like very old age or broken wires causing loss of heater or no activity. It does point to an upstream problem causing the car to be rich all the time. The Durametric codes are pointing to a Variocam problem. Perhaps a solenoid on the variocam is not functioning on bank 1. Beyond that, it gets messy.
The following 3 users liked this post by yelcab:
Floyd540 (03-28-2022), Fullyield (03-28-2022), Xios (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:51 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

I am avowed DIY guy as most of you know. But, every smart hunter knows when it is time to slowly back out of the cave. If it were my car, I would smoke test the intake system and, if no leaks, consider taking it to an expert for diagnosis at this point. You have already picked all the low hanging fruit and the issue still remains. Have you done a used oil analysis to check fuel dilution yet? See post # 10 dated Dec. 5. My two cents only and others may disagree.

Last edited by Fullyield; 03-28-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Xios (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:53 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 687 Likes on 427 Posts

I don't mean to scare you, but there is more info in this thread. Read it ... at your own risk.

Spun Camshaft Information - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Xios (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 02:24 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 272 Posts

All great advice from above. Keep plugging away on this issue. Remember that the ECU is a wonderful computer watching out for zillions of inputs, however it can and does get confused and will display info that is senseless and incorrect at times, leading you into the wrong "cave". There is a skill in using the Durametric and interrupting the results. I do not have advanced skills in using my Durametric and when I had coil pak failure (997.2) the codes had nothing to do with the problem. In fact they pointed to everything else but misfires. Someone will come along here and help you with running live stream data and you may want to eventually ask a friendly indie that is a Durametric expert what they think. Remember that your .2 car is completely different than a .1 as well meaning people may send you into that "cave".
You will get it, report back with the answer and have a beer!
Xios (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:03 PM
Xios
Instructor

Thank you all for the feedback.

I'd gladly take it to a good indie if I could find one. I bounced it off of Mike at Formula Motorsports and he doesn't sound interested in giving it a look. I'm just getting started with the Durametric so there's much to learn. Between Rennlist and my research I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this but if anyone knows of good indie in the NYC area or any other resources I'm all ears.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:57 PM
Xios
Instructor

@Xios

Was your leak pre cat? I intend to smoke test everything including myself. Just not sure how to proceed on these tests just yet.

Quick Reply: Need help with CEL and codes please