Sponsored by:

Exloring a 6MT 997 GTS rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 05:55 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

just food for thought on the tire pressure discussion:
I find GT3 pressures to be best for ACH and surrounding area at 29/33 cold. When I drive up the state to see my mom, I bump the cold pressures to 31/35. IDK if it is a false belief but I just run a little higher because of the TON of debris on the 99 and the 5 going up and driving back down...it has gotten to be like mad max driving, so I bump the pressures a little thinking the tires might deflect debris better...but that is totally opinion.
This is all on PS4S in GT3 sizes (235/305) on GT3 wheels.
This is also after starting at the pressures on the sticker on my 2006 C2S door, which were too high for PS4S (I think like 39/44) but better than rock hard 12 year old tires (PSCs) when I got the car.
Also, TPMS are almost always wrong in my experience. Some are right some of the time but most are wrong all of the time. In any case, I have never had consistently correct TPMS and I have had them on half a dozen cars. I do not have it on my 911, so people can tell me I am wrong here but on every other car I have owned, the TPMS is off in relation to a basic Moroso analog gauge, the Porsche analog Classic Gauge, the digital gauge on my air (which is also wrong a lot), and the more fancy digital trackside gauges my friends have used...TPMS has been inconsistent at best and 100% wrong always at worst.
I am not a total tire pressure weirdo but after tracking a lot, I do check it and my lug nuts TQ after every fill up or so. CL wheels, I guess do not need the TQ check but I would do some comparison testing...I am just saying.
...but since we are driving the same roads, I figure it is a relevant discussion.
I hope to see you up there soon!!
Old 12-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Yes, I will PM you when I am near Azusa or La Cañada and perhaps we can pair up...it's always a bit sketch to drive hard solo with no cell coverage!

Last time I shared my location with a friend, and went off line in Big/Little Tujunga Canyons with lots of stops for pictures. He thought I was overdue and maybe in a gully upside down. No cops, but he had AAA dispatch a tow truck into the canyon where I last had cell. I saw some frantic texts from him and called the tow guy off, but he refused any Venmo $, just said glad I was safe and enjoyed meandering through the canyons looking for skid marks or a broken guard rail. Better gig than changing tires on the 210, I guess!

I have had just the opposite experience with my TPMS. My 997.1 was not accurate, but reliable in that all four pressures remained consistent- so if one was low, I would get a warning and know about it. My 997 GTS is spot on and agrees (within 1 psi) with every gauge..analog, digital and gas station digital air machine readouts. I replaced the TPMS with every new set of tires, so on now my 3rd set. Maybe that's why? Not sure.

I do know that my pressures climb with both temperature and type of driving.
I start out in the low 30's F and high 30's R, cold in the morning before driving.
I toss my car, a lot, in slow hairpins, so they heat up from the abrasion and also the extended runs on uneven asphalt like the ACH and Malibu canyons.

I won't bleed pressure from hot tires unless they exceed the max load recommended 37/44. They never do.
Long freeway drives at over 100 mph at >100 deg ambient will also heat them up to the 37/44 range.

I have never tracked and needed to bleed hot tires.
A pyrometer borrowed from a guy at the spin lookout on the ACH years ago showed uniform temps across the tread of my, then MPSS, tread, on all 4 tires- and that was at about 37/44 when very hot after 60 miles of the ACH, in mid-summer.

Tire life seems to be fine using my method (10-12K per set, again, no tracking, just canyons and freeway to get to/from).
The ride could be better, but I didn't buy the car for a cushy one. Not bone jarring, and no SPASM springs, but live-able and no squeaks or interior rattles...yet.

I drive in NORMAL PASM on bad roads and SPORT on anything smooth and all canyons, ride be dammed.
The DSC box was a real epiphany for me. My car performs better in NORMAL now than did in SPORT mode with OEM PASM box.
Far more compliant in either setting, as well.

Like the Sharkwerks center muffler delete X-pipe, it should have come that way from the factory!

Hope to take a drive with you next year.

Aloha, and mele kalikimaka.

P.S. The section of N3 Angeles Forest Highway south of the turnoff to Big Tujunga, was billiard table smooth, but I turned onto Big and the road just got worse and worse.
I was headed to Sunland and the SF Valley, or I would have gone north to Vincent and Hwy 14 (Pearblossom Highway). You should drive that before it looks like the rest of the roads in SoCal...dismally maintained!
Cheers!

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-23-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Exloring a 6MT 997 GTS rev limiter