Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Plastic lens replacement: Aftermarket solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 06:55 PM
ahyiah
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Reviving this thread, but is this guy still in business?
Old 07-09-2023, 12:10 PM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 91 Likes on 35 Posts

We offer the covers including the removal and replacement service for 997 models. We offer the covers with the OEM silver colored bezel as well as a black colored bezel which changes the headlights to the look of the Carrera Sport Classic.

https://rennlights.com/product/997-1-997-2-carrera

Happy to answer any questions.

-Paolo

email: info@RENNLIGHTS.com
www.RENNLIGHTS.com
Old 07-15-2023, 04:55 PM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just completed this set for a customer in the finish of the Carrera Sport Classic look. Black bezels instead of the original silver while maintaining the original chrome interior finishes.

The following users liked this post:
myw (04-27-2024)
Old 09-11-2023, 04:26 PM
3DKam
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping this since I just ordered a set. I emailed the email listed in the link of the OP. Paid $320 shipped with PayPal so I wasn’t too worried. A week and half later they arrived and look pretty good. Small defect in one but really depends on how the light hits it. Will update once I get them installed.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:20 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 161 Posts

look forward to seeing how your turn out. how did you get the original lens off?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:55 PM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

I did the lens swap and I am very happy with the end result. Two major lessons are:

First, do not touch the reflective lenses at all. The chrome comes right off! I ended up having to have them painted in silver after damaging the finish when trying to remove particles from the lens removal. And secondly, be prepared to find some wiring issues inside the lens. The insulation can become flaky and fall apart. I ended up pulling the whole harness out and heat shrinking all of the wires.

I was able to take the lens off by using a flat head screw driver and working around the lens. I didn’t use an oven or any heat. It took some work the get in there and break the seal but it’s doable. I had found a few write ups and followed some of the directions there. I don’t have any links now but did some homework before trying it out.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by Edcantera; 09-11-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:03 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

nice! how did you get the silver reflective coating repaint?? and yea, its super fragile...dont ask me how I know.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:48 AM
Edcantera
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

I took it the the body shop I use and had them spray it. It’s been a while now in Miami sunshine and the paint is holding up perfectly.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:29 AM
RandyVW
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not finding anything more recent than this regarding "headlight lense replacement" and/or "headlight restoration" so gonna start here.

My '06 headlights definitely have a slight yellow especially against the arctic silver. headlights are in great shape otherwise. No frasing or cracking. just haze, yellowing and very minimal pitting. I think they're actually a good candidate for true "restoration". (i'm thinking of letting a real pro do it rather than try myself & wish I had anyway)

But I've seen videos of folks throwing headlights into the oven, battling Murphy's Law in an effort to get lenses off and then get some new ones properly sealed up. (I'm old enough to know that doing things more than once is a great teacher but when doing stuff for the first time....it's just not going to go exactly as you draw it up in your head.....but more likely so if you have to do it again.)

Anyway......Any thoughts and/or any recommendations for good sources in Southern California?

TIA!
Old 04-27-2024, 11:31 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

I purchased the lenses and have them in my garage. Haven't got up the courage yet. The lenses were like $120 each on aliexpress, but more expensive on eBay (I think its all the same source supplier in china). As noted above, it "looks" like the lenses have a defect in them at first glance. Almost sent them back, but the seller explained that was the mold mark and you dont see it when installed. I didnt believe them at first, but they are right based on @seewong's pictures.

My biggest concern is that chrome coating on the inside. Mine is already starting to flake in one small area and im worried about making it worse and having to find a way to refinish it.

Ive polished the lenses a few times. They look better for a 6 month then start to yellow again. The prior owner lived in Texas and I think cooked them. So it's a job im going to have to figure out.

Old 04-27-2024, 05:11 PM
RandyVW
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@TheBruce

Ya, and like anything.....if you could do even just one other set first, confidence would be thru the roof. 2 or 3 sets and you could probably do the job in your sleep. It's that "learning" the one time you do it for yourself that sucks. Then it's "whoops", oh ya, I guess you can crack that bezel. Oh well, guess I'll just buy another set of headlights.

It's only money right?

(There's a local headlight resto pro advertising and somebody showed a pair of headlights he'd done a couple years ago & they still looked like new. Might hit him up & try first before risking the worst...doh!!!)
Old 04-28-2024, 09:08 AM
rsalicrup
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyVW
I'm not finding anything more recent than this regarding "headlight lense replacement" and/or "headlight restoration" so gonna start here.

My '06 headlights definitely have a slight yellow especially against the arctic silver. headlights are in great shape otherwise. No frasing or cracking. just haze, yellowing and very minimal pitting. I think they're actually a good candidate for true "restoration". (i'm thinking of letting a real pro do it rather than try myself & wish I had anyway)

But I've seen videos of folks throwing headlights into the oven, battling Murphy's Law in an effort to get lenses off and then get some new ones properly sealed up. (I'm old enough to know that doing things more than once is a great teacher but when doing stuff for the first time....it's just not going to go exactly as you draw it up in your head.....but more likely so if you have to do it again.)

Anyway......Any thoughts and/or any recommendations for good sources in Southern California?

TIA!
I put a some info on this thread when I did mine. Further down I have links from where I sourced all the materials
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...l#post19272980

For anyone that wants to take this on by themselves, it isn’t hard if you are mechanically inclined. Just needs patience.
I did my headlights a few month ago and have done a few others locally. DO NOT put the headlights in the oven. It makes the plastics a bit brittle and you can crack the recessed lip for the lenses. Porsche doesn’t use the typical glue that requires heating. They use a silicone based sealant (RTV). I have done a few headlights, there is a specific way to take them apart, but it hard to explain. It takes me about a minute to takes the lenses apart. The chrome is VERY soft and it will scratch easily. I didn’t have an issue with them breaking but I was very gentle with it when handling. In the early 2000s German auto makers decided that it will be a good idea to use biodegradable wires. This is why you may run into wiring issues.

Last edited by rsalicrup; 04-28-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:41 AM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RandyVW
@TheBruce

Ya, and like anything.....if you could do even just one other set first, confidence would be thru the roof. 2 or 3 sets and you could probably do the job in your sleep. It's that "learning" the one time you do it for yourself that sucks. Then it's "whoops", oh ya, I guess you can crack that bezel. Oh well, guess I'll just buy another set of headlights.

It's only money right?

After completing over 350 sets of Porsche headlights, I would definitely agree with that statement.

My father was a Porsche Audi mechanic and he always said that a job done well is about having the right tools plus the experience of knowing how to use them.

For those of you not interested in practicing with your own headlights, send them my way and I am happy to renew them for you without the headaches.

-Paolo

The following 2 users liked this post by RENNLIGHTS:
myw (04-29-2024), wamcneil (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Headlight Plastic lens replacement: Aftermarket solution