Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to paint center stack trim...how do I remove all the toggle switches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 11:38 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Going to paint center stack trim...how do I remove all the toggle switches?

I have the pieces off and no, I don't have to do the radio thankfully as I have a new head unit. But I can't get these buttons out and am scared I'm going to snab a tab. It looks like one side of the button has a tab sitting through it, if that makes sense and the other side rests on a tab that is part of the trim itself. I tried gently with a very thin flat head screwdriver and it isn't coming out. There has to be a simple trick I'm missing... Thanks!

Old 11-08-2021, 03:07 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm also doing this myself and it's a little scary but they didn't break.
you just have to push them back then unclick one side of them, they're guided for the pin, i used a eye glasses flat head to pop one side then push it out.

the Climate control was a pain, i scratched the paint putting the fan toggle back in so I'm redoing it now.

goodluck!

Originally Posted by frybear
I have the pieces off and no, I don't have to do the radio thankfully as I have a new head unit. But I can't get these buttons out and am scared I'm going to snab a tab. It looks like one side of the button has a tab sitting through it, if that makes sense and the other side rests on a tab that is part of the trim itself. I tried gently with a very thin flat head screwdriver and it isn't coming out. There has to be a simple trick I'm missing... Thanks!

Last edited by CarreraAlex; 11-08-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:21 PM
frybear
Pro

Originally Posted by Renderplease
you just have to push them back then unclick one side of them, they're guided for the pin, i used a eye glasses flat head to pop one side then push it out.

the Climate control was a pain, i scratched the paint putting the fan toggle back in so I'm redoing it now.

goodluck!

Well, I am done and did not tape up the inside of the AC unit (dumb rookie movie) but was able to get the paint off the glass tubes with no issues. The real issue I am having is...how the fudge do I get the buttons back on the AC unit?!?!?!?!? Do I need to engage the top of the button first, while the bottom is sort of sitting inside the trim? otherwise, it doesn't move but I'm not trying again until much later as I sort of barely gouged the new paint already, but not too horribly where you'd notice.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:30 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Yeah exactly - bottom to top basically to put the bottoms in! use light pressure.

Well, I am done and did not tape up the inside of the AC unit (dumb rookie movie) but was able to get the paint off the glass tubes with no issues. The real issue I am having is...how the fudge do I get the buttons back on the AC unit?!?!?!?!? Do I need to engage the top of the button first, while the bottom is sort of sitting inside the trim? otherwise, it doesn't move but I'm not trying again until much later as I sort of barely gouged the new paint already, but not too horribly where you'd notice.
The following users liked this post:
frybear (11-09-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 08:43 PM
frybear
Pro

Yeah exactly - bottom to top basically to put the bottoms in! use light pressure.
Thanks again for the help! Saved my a$$$$$$$
Old 11-09-2021, 11:25 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the help! Saved my a$$$$$$$
Old 12-20-2021, 07:42 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Any after pics? I am going to tackle this over the holidays, the painted pics look great!
Old 12-20-2021, 07:43 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cjarrett
Any after pics? I am going to tackle this over the holidays, the painted pics look great!
check both our started threads! we both have pics.

be patient trust me
cjarrett (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 08:05 PM
cjarrett
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Found it, looks fantastic. Thank you!

Also found this for anyone else searching who might find my post before this one (it took me quite a lot of searching and linking to find):
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...e-removal.html
Old 02-26-2022, 04:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

question - what is the reason for the blue tape inside the climate control buttons? is it to prevent a buildup/thickness of paint/clearcoat etc etc inside those areas where it prevents proper fitment + functioning of the buttons when they are put back in?

ty

goodluck!

Old 02-26-2022, 04:56 PM
frybear
Pro

Originally Posted by myw
question - what is the reason for the blue tape inside the climate control buttons? is it to prevent a buildup/thickness of paint/clearcoat etc etc inside those areas where it prevents proper fitment + functioning of the buttons when they are put back in?

ty
So...I did this a few months back...and did NOT use any blue tape, because I'm way too smart to listen to other people obviously...But as far as build up, that's not an issue. The blue tape is used so you don't paint over the tiny light tubes in there that allow the light to pass through so you know what setting your heated seats are on. I had to scrape the paint off mine but it was no big deal. Just make sure you use SEM trim spray paint, perfect match and do many many many LIGHT coats - I did 12 coats.
myw (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 05:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

So...I did this a few months back...and did NOT use any blue tape, because I'm way too smart to listen to other people obviously...But as far as build up, that's not an issue. The blue tape is used so you don't paint over the tiny light tubes in there that allow the light to pass through so you know what setting your heated seats are on. I had to scrape the paint off mine but it was no big deal. Just make sure you use SEM trim spray paint, perfect match and do many many many LIGHT coats - I did 12 coats.
ty man

what pcm / deck did you get ?

can you post a pic of your entire new setup ? I’d love to see
frybear (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 05:32 PM
frybear
Pro

here ya go...

The following 2 users liked this post by frybear:
cjarrett (02-26-2022), myw (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Going to paint center stack trim...how do I remove all the toggle switches?