Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Function First Engine Mounts just Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 03:48 PM
frybear
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Function First Engine Mounts just Installed...

Function First engine mounts are in. I should have taken before pics of the exhaust but they do seem higher to me than I recall, really tucked up there. So...WRT to other things I've heard, car doesn't start any differently and I can't really tell about throttle response, could be better, but can't say for sure. Definitely vibrates more on my butt, which I kinda like! And I have heard that they do break in after about a thousand miles. All in all I'm happy with them. Install took me an hour, most people say 20 minutes. I had a tough time at first getting the dang plug out of the airbox. And getting the airbox back in took a little bit of time wiggling it back in place. Be aware that on my car there are two rubber gaskets/plugs that sit in the body of the car where the airbox sits - one popped out and fell on the ground as I was unbolting the bottom bolt from under the car, so luckily I noticed it. It just pops back in the car but make sure you have those.

The following users liked this post:
cannonball05 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:21 PM
aramosc
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing! The car looks great!

Do you (or anyone else) know what the life expectancy of semi solid mounts is versus the stock ones?
Old 10-19-2021, 05:15 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Try the Function First transmission mount insert. The Sport version
really adds to the race car feel. Takes away that comfy car feeling,
frybear (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:42 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
Function First engine mounts are in. I should have taken before pics of the exhaust but they do seem higher to me than I recall, really tucked up there. So...WRT to other things I've heard, car doesn't start any differently and I can't really tell about throttle response, could be better, but can't say for sure. Definitely vibrates more on my butt, which I kinda like! And I have heard that they do break in after about a thousand miles. All in all I'm happy with them. Install took me an hour, most people say 20 minutes. I had a tough time at first getting the dang plug out of the airbox. And getting the airbox back in took a little bit of time wiggling it back in place. Be aware that on my car there are two rubber gaskets/plugs that sit in the body of the car where the airbox sits - one popped out and fell on the ground as I was unbolting the bottom bolt from under the car, so luckily I noticed it. It just pops back in the car but make sure you have those.
The vibration you're feeling often sets off the engine knock sensor. That retards timing and reduces power. This has been hashed over plenty on here - search for Jake Raby's video on semi solid mounts.
frybear (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:51 PM
frybear
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 133 Posts

Then it’s good that the vibration is very minimal. Don’t really notice it much.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:39 AM
AxelR
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Regarding Jake’s findings:

I remember this as well. Is it true for all vehicles? Or is it true for the M96/97 engines?
i don’t recall the details and/or mention of the 997.2.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by AxelR
Regarding Jake’s findings:

I remember this as well. Is it true for all vehicles? Or is it true for the M96/97 engines?
i don’t recall the details and/or mention of the 997.2.
M96/97. I have not seen any data on the 9A1 motor.
AxelR (10-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Function First Engine Mounts just Installed...