Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RADIO?????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 01:54 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Depending on how the current unit has been connected and what oem components and connectors have been modified or omitted as others have mentioned could determine if reverting back to the OEM unit would be cost effective.

I too have no use for a fancy dancey touch screen system ... My OEM system is more than enough for me also .... Who needs music when you have a flat 6 ...
Old 09-10-2021, 11:45 AM
YtseFrobozz
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did a Dension GW500S install in my 2005 997S to get Bluetooth functionality (and made a post about it), so I am now intimately familiar with the back of the PCM head unit. If you can slide the existing head unit out (there are lots of posts/videos to help with this), look for a fiber optic cable with a male connector that looks like this:

If that is hanging behind the head unit, then if you get a Bose PCM head unit, you should be able to plug that in and be good to go... if the original wiring was not adulterated. While reading the manuals for the Dension unit, it says if you don't have a head unit that is programmed to use a CD Changer, you need to get it programmed to do so. I take that to mean that if you get a new head unit, there is no guarantee that it will be able to use the CD changer in your frunk. My CD changer worked from day one, so this is not something I can give any advice about. As far as Bluetooth goes, I do recommend the dual FOT Dension GW500S for being able to pair up a phone and play music. The microphone that comes with it didn't work all that great in my limited testing, so if you plan on talking on the phone while driving (I don't), that might be a consideration. I hope that helps, and good luck!

Last edited by YtseFrobozz; 09-10-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:05 PM
frybear
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 133 Posts

This is basically what I have. The brand in my car is VicTsing and it was there when I bought it but this looks like the same unit
Amazon Amazon
Sound quality playing spotify via this thing is perfect. And I actually tried the phone function yesterday - again, perfect. I was able to have the top down and talk to a friend for awhile and he said I sounded clear - which means the mic in the car is pretty damn good it seems.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by YtseFrobozz
I just did a Dension GW500S install in my 2005 997S to get Bluetooth functionality (and made a post about it), so I am now intimately familiar with the back of the PCM head unit. If you can slide the existing head unit out (there are lots of posts/videos to help with this), look for a fiber optic cable with a male connector that looks like this:

If that is hanging behind the head unit, then if you get a Bose PCM head unit, you should be able to plug that in and be good to go... if the original wiring was not adulterated. While reading the manuals for the Dension unit, it says if you don't have a head unit that is programmed to use a CD Changer, you need to get it programmed to do so. I take that to mean that if you get a new head unit, there is no guarantee that it will be able to use the CD changer in your frunk. My CD changer worked from day one, so this is not something I can give any advice about. As far as Bluetooth goes, I do recommend the dual FOT Dension GW500S for being able to pair up a phone and play music. The microphone that comes with it didn't work all that great in my limited testing, so if you plan on talking on the phone while driving (I don't), that might be a consideration. I hope that helps, and good luck!
My car didn't come with a cd changer or Nav when I installed my Denison. My microphone works, though the car is loud. There is a procedure for wondering different 2 digit codes until you find one that works well for the microphone. I think I'm using 15 but it was also 7 years ago when I installed it.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:10 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

Sorry all but every time this thread pops back onto the first page...

The following users liked this post:
JAB_997 (09-12-2021)

Quick Reply: RADIO?????????