Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 firmware and 9XX Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 03:09 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by davismt55
Just bought a 997.2 with Bose and getting up to speed on adding Apple CarPlay and rear camera. I’ve seen various products from UK and US available.
Has anyone ELSE installed this as it’s WIRELESS CarPlay and if yes, how well does it work and is the sound great (or not)?
https://9xx.com/collections/997-2-20...uto4-for-pcm30
Yes, it’s $800 but wireless appeals to me as I find I don’t connect my phone via cable on my SUV with CarPlay except on longer drives.

NOTE: Wayne, are you still happy with it and have issues been resolved?
Anthony and the factory resolved all issues. We were in direct communication with the factory during the initial installation. We tried several modifications. The effort and cooperation were memorable. Immediate gratification was not to be. But it didn't end there. After a few weeks Anthony sent me a new box to swap out the old, which was easy. The unit is now flawless.

Meanwhile, I yanked the amp, replaced the power caps, and added new transistor grease (heat transfer compound) to the power components. I exercised the connectors upon re-install. And the amp has not cut out since.

I believe I am accurate in saying NM and the 9xx hardware are the same although the interface appears different. It's nice having Anthony local (to the USA) and I fully trust him to support the product going forward as he broadens his offerings.

Full disclosure ... I consider Anthony to be a friend but I have no financial interests in his company.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
davismt55 (12-19-2021), VT Blue (04-19-2022)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:52 AM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you tried this, my volume now matches the standard PCM volume. Although this video is for 3.1, it’s exactly the same for PCM 3.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/448276878
Old 12-20-2021, 05:04 PM
davismt55
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow- up questions for those who’ve upgraded or researched adding one of these systems:
1) Are the touchscreens a pain to use to make a selection? That is, typically multiple attempts required?
2) For those who REPLACED the screen/radio did you lose PCM functionality? I’m assuming so.

Thanks,
mike
Old 12-20-2021, 05:11 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I installed a Kenwood last year and like the wireless Carplay but would love to go back to stock with wireless carplay. Maybe next summer.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Follow- up questions for those who’ve upgraded or researched adding one of these systems:
1) Are the touchscreens a pain to use to make a selection? That is, typically multiple attempts required?
2) For those who REPLACED the screen/radio did you lose PCM functionality? I’m assuming so.

Thanks,
mike
Replacing the entire screen like you would with a Kenwood naturally eliminates the original PCM functions. This can create problems with setting balance of you have a Bose amp.

The 9xx solution leaves the PCM intact and allows you to switch back and forth with an extended hold of the INFO button. This also does not affect the operation of the touchscreen.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:14 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks,
mike
Regarding the screen it isn’t as fast as an iPhone. Sometimes does take a longer press and misses when you swipe. A non issue for me.

Also the screen resolution isn’t the best, but again not that big of a deal.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:08 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anthony did my install last year in the fall and has worked great including a 6 hour drive to the Werks Reunion. It’s a game changer having CarPlay with all its features. The only thing that may be better is if CarPlay was incorporated into the PCM as with the newer variants. Also did the back up camera which is amazing as I have a cab. We did try to replace the hard drive “while in there” with a SSD but it would not copy over, assume some bad sectors caused the issue. Not sure how 9xx compares to other units as I didn’t research this area but no issues with what I have. For the OP, give Anthony a call, he’s a wealth on knowledge.

Bob
Old 12-21-2021, 01:40 AM
atwong1
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Dear 9XX customers and fans,

We wish you all the best during this holiday season. One thing I do want to mention is that the unit that we offer is not the same as the NM. I do think NM put a lot of effort in marketing their product and I do appreciate that because I think my fellow Porsche owners deserve the best. I am not going to comment on whose is better but please feel free to compare, mainly the hardware package, the ribbon cable quality, the music quality using Spotify or any of your favorite audio apps, and various details that are customized per the VIN supplied, which includes but not limited to die sets, connectors, screws, cables, etc. We know your car more that yourself (per a large number of our 9XX Experience customers), and what will work for your car in the first shot so you won't have to look around for band-aid solutions. Thanks to Porsche's support, 9XX is a registered Porsche Private Network partner, so we can make things happen where non-PPN partners cannot. We do have a one year U.S. based international warranty on most of our 9XX Research products, and two plus years warranty on all 9XX Exclusive Experience products installed by myself. and we do have customers in Europe, Asia, and Australia. Because I am a true and loyal Porsche fan myself, my companies and products are Porsche exclusive so you can rest assure that we will put 100% effort in researching and making everything work. 9XX has in-house development team that develops products and solutions just for Porsche owners. Yes, we are very brand biased, but you deserve our undivided attention.

As a thank you note, I would like to give the first 100 of you one of my latest tools designed for our Porsche vehicles:

https://www.amazon.com/9XX-Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic-Exclusive/dp/B09JNJT2LC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TJIH8FWRX044&keywords=%229xx+research%22&qid=1640059462&sprefix=9xx+research+%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-1#customerReviews https://www.amazon.com/9XX-Bluetooth-Scanner-Diagnostic-Exclusive/dp/B09JNJT2LC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TJIH8FWRX044&keywords=%229xx+research%22&qid=1640059462&sprefix=9xx+research+%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-1#customerReviews

Since I have all of them shipped to Amazon already, I ask that each of you who is interested in receiving this gift order one from Amazon and send me your receipt including tax and shipping, and your Zelle or Venmo account, I will reimburse the first 100 of you the cost. Please take advantage of this offer before December 31, 2021.

Upon receipt, please let me know directly how well it works for your Porsche. I know it will work for a lot of other vehicles, but my main focus is on Porsche specific functions.

At this time, I would like to accept 100 of you to become our 9XX key customers. If you are chosen, you may receive our new products prior to public availability. If you are interested please let me know and send me your full name, contact information, and VIN.

Please also feel free to let me know what you wish that this tool can do. Your imagination is the limit. I will add more Porsche specific functions starting early 2022 base on requests from you, my loyal customers and fans.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays,

Anthony Wong
9XX, LLC

9XX Research and 9XX Experience

12/20/2021

Last edited by atwong1; 12-21-2021 at 01:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spike Speakus (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 02:45 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

A few sample shots from the OBD II reader.

Edit: Working from my phone my gallery is extremely low resolution so I'm not always sure exactly what photos I'm moving into the post. Suffice it to say this unit does a lot. However, while it displays graphing I haven't yet figured out how to save and transfer (share) that data. I'll also admit I've only played with it a little bit. But I can easily see actual water temperature which disagrees wildly with the gauge!!!
Attached Images         

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 12-21-2021 at 02:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Schulr (12-21-2021), Spike Speakus (12-21-2021), VT Blue (04-19-2022)
Old 12-21-2021, 07:48 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

Actually the beauty with the upgraded PCM is that you can still use the dial to the right to "browse" through you selections, meaning you can totally control the Apple CarPlay w/o using the touch screen.
However if you go with an aftermarket unit it's as much of pain in the a** as in any other new car where every button is now on a screen.
The following users liked this post:
Elliotw44 (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:13 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach;[url=tel:17857788
17857788[/url]]Actually the beauty with the upgraded PCM is that you can still use the dial to the right to "browse" through you selections, meaning you can totally control the Apple CarPlay w/o using the touch screen.
However if you go with an aftermarket unit it's as much of pain in the a** as in any other new car where every button is now on a screen.
This how I use car play. Very easy to navigate or make selections without looking at the screen
Old 12-22-2021, 08:04 AM
ergi
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I replace the PCM3.0 by Kenwood after a sudden totale failure without chance to repaire it.
Porsche dealership advise me to replace it by a standard 2Din HU, the PCM3.0 is not reliable despite a very high price !
I have the Bose version, so I used the MOST interface "Seicane" and replaced the small 2 ways subwoofer amp in the back of rear seats by a 4 ways amp (2ohms outputs) to control the Sub and the 2 rear speakers with the new HU.
With this installation I have the fader working and you don't loose many functions. (chrono memory, .....)
With a new HU Kenwood, Pionneer, Alpine or Sony you get an up to date technology (capacitive screen, DAB+, Carplay, Android Auto ......) for a very reasonable price and a better reliability.
The mod is reversible if I want to sell my car in the original configuration.

Last edited by ergi; 12-22-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

And one last thing
if you’re using an CarPlay add on on top of PCM, make sure to go into the PCM audio settings and disable “surround sound”
this makes a huge difference
Old 12-23-2021, 02:39 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the NM kit installed, had no clue on my PCM software version (997.2S). You MUST have the ability to select AUX as the source. In talking with Nick (the N in NM), that's all you need. The kit was installed without problems by a CarToys location, and works flawlessly. Plus, Nick is quick on email responses and provides 5 or 6 videos on settings and setup. Couldn't be happier.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:53 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradinthe56
I just had the NM kit installed, had no clue on my PCM software version (997.2S). You MUST have the ability to select AUX as the source. In talking with Nick (the N in NM), that's all you need. The kit was installed without problems by a CarToys location, and works flawlessly. Plus, Nick is quick on email responses and provides 5 or 6 videos on settings and setup. Couldn't be happier.
While installing the 9xx unit the AUX recognition was lost. This may have been when the unit was PIWIS reprogrammed to include the XM Radio board we added. To get AUX back required that a music CD be inserted. Then the AUX option returned. Not sure why I remembered this "fix" ... I must have read it somewhere on this Forum!!! Just thought I'd reiterate it here in case anyone else needs to know.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 firmware and 9XX Apple CarPlay