Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S 6MT purchase question. (first post).

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 02:09 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

The comments in here are like a BaT auction…

Based on this recent comp, it’s worth $80k+. The accident will deduct some based on how extensive it was. Maybe $5k deduct? The future is bright for these cars.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-s-39/

Get the maintenance history, get a PPI, and if all is well, buy.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:20 PM
NC3Pedal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NC3Pedal
So I've had 4 Porsches. A '96 Carrera base and a '97 Boxster S. Both have the "infamous" intermediate shaft which can fail. On these sites people obsess over these failures which only happened to a relatively low percentage of cars. On the .2 with the 91A engine (on my previous Porsche and my current 2012 GTS IMS is not used and "bore scoring" from what I have read is rare. The bore scoring risk is more prevalent on cold climate cars which are not warmed up as per Porsche recommendation. Take the car to a reputable Indy and have them inspect it. My 2012 (same engine as the one you are looking for except for the power pack) is going on 63,000 miles with only normal maintenance items and a clutch replacement at 60K. I am the third owner (have had it for 3+ years} so I don't know previous driver habits. My Indy claims a properly driven MT car should see about 100K clutch life. Only down side is that these cars are relatively expensive to maintain properly but with TLC they are nearly bullet proof.
Should have said, no IMS failures on my two M97 engine cars. Maintain them and drive them often!
Old 08-18-2021, 03:25 PM
maekwl
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2fan
I was told that it was a base 997.2 steering wheel? The pictures below are from a car that sold. It’s a 2011 Carrera S.

Also can you educate me on the chrono clock and the centre cap comment. Thanks.
Sorry for the steering wheel confusion, Id had only seen that style on 997.1 before.

Its a bit of a joke, the Porsche crest logo "is supposed" to have the bottom point to the air nozzle
Chrono clock is just the physical indication that you paid for the Sports chrono package, on a manual it is less useful as its big selling point is a more aggressive automatic (PDK) transmission program.

Try and stop your clock at 9:11 seconds, it's a fun red light game.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:34 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a practically identical low mileage 2011 C2S manual in nearly new condition. I have been trying to get quotes for agreed value insurance. My local dealer quoted $75k from his search of the national dealer inventory. Two months ago I got an off the cuff estimate of $85k trade in value from the dealer I bought it from. He claimed he would retail it for $105k. They had no inventory. Lately they won't respond to me emails, so who knows. Was he drinking away his sorrows? I would be concerned about the front end damage. You want to see what else was repaired along with the fender. Was the frame bent? If everything looks good, including full maintenance records, perhaps offer $65 to start.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:59 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by southbay
The comments in here are like a BaT auction…

Based on this recent comp, it’s worth $80k+. The accident will deduct some based on how extensive it was. Maybe $5k deduct? The future is bright for these cars.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-s-39/

Get the maintenance history, get a PPI, and if all is well, buy.
Agreed. BaT has done soooo much to bring more cars out of hiding for all of us to consider more transparently, but the peanut gallery comments and scrutiny are overwhelming at times. Look, do your diligence before buying, but 997s are now 10+ year old used cars - the risks are sort of becoming part of the deal to an extent. After a certain point, you just gotta take the leap and do it if you're so inclined.

This all sort of creates a vicious cycle: if sellers expect any tire kicker in the BaT age to forensically probe everything with borescopes and paint meters and such before making an offer, then sure...aim high. And expect every last retail dollar if you're representing a "no excuses" car. Seems like the ownership life cycle between new/newish -> to enthusiast -> to forgotten/bargain -> collector has been truncated in recent years.

The game has changed, I guess.

Quick Reply: C2S 6MT purchase question. (first post).