Sponsored by:

997.1 Codes- 805A, C152, C140

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021 | 12:22 AM
Shadowfox1198
2nd Gear

Question 997.1 Codes- 805A, C152, C140

Hi there,

I have a 2006 997.1 CS Cabriolet that I recently acquired and after getting some basic service done I have some new issues. Long story short, this is my late fathers car and I want to take care of it but it sat for about a year unused and I had to have it towed as it was in a garage and would not start. I had the battery replaced as well as some standard work done at his old mechanic but have moved it up to where I live. After getting it up here and getting a CTEK trickle charger to avoid any more battery issues as this will go longer period of time without driving- especially while working from home I am now seeing new issues.

I noticed the airbag light was on for the passenger side and I took it to a friends house who has a Durametric code reader and we got the following codes:

805A- Passenger's front sensor, no communication
C152 Communication PSM Control Unit (Drive)
C140 Communication Instrument Cluster (Display)

I have seen quite a few posts already about 805A and assume I'll be picking up the front sensor and replacing, especially since I confirmed the seat cords for the under passenger seat sensors and cleared the codes but they came right back. That said, I want to see if anyone has experience with these codes in conjunction- wondering if this is just some wonky thing that happened since we changed the battery or something to that effect? And for C152 this seems to be related to 805A but I can't tell what C140 is?

Appreciate any advice!

-
Old 08-09-2021 | 09:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When you say it wouldn't start, it would crank or it wouldn't fire when cranking? If it wouldn't crank, do yourself a favor and buy a new battery. A deeply discharged battery will never recover and these cars are very sensitive to the subsystems receiving proper voltage. It may show fully charged, but it's just a surface charge on the plates and as soon as it has a load on it, it's dead again. See if the codes return after replacing the battery and clearing the codes.

Keep the new battery on the maintenance charger.

Also, pull codes with the engine running, not just with the ignition switch on and you'll get a lot fewer odd communication errors.
Old 08-09-2021 | 01:56 PM
Shadowfox1198
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Petza914
When you say it wouldn't start, it would crank or it wouldn't fire when cranking? If it wouldn't crank, do yourself a favor and buy a new battery. A deeply discharged battery will never recover and these cars are very sensitive to the subsystems receiving proper voltage. It may show fully charged, but it's just a surface charge on the plates and as soon as it has a load on it, it's dead again. See if the codes return after replacing the battery and clearing the codes.

Keep the new battery on the maintenance charger.

Also, pull codes with the engine running, not just with the ignition switch on and you'll get a lot fewer odd communication errors.
Thanks for the response. I replaced the battery as it wouldn't crank at all and none of the electronics turned on so the battery was completely dead. I let the engine run for 10min prior to pulling codes and then we reset the codes cycled the engine and left it on for 30 and they came back on. I've driven the car around for about 200 miles but the codes are still live after replacing the battery and doing the code pull/reset.
Old 08-09-2021 | 02:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shadowfox1198
Thanks for the response. I replaced the battery as it wouldn't crank at all and none of the electronics turned on so the battery was completely dead. I let the engine run for 10min prior to pulling codes and then we reset the codes cycled the engine and left it on for 30 and they came back on. I've driven the car around for about 200 miles but the codes are still live after replacing the battery and doing the code pull/reset.
For a car that sat that long, since you know it's not a battery issue, I think now you have to start exploring for rodent damage - chewed wires, any droppings anywhere, etc. It's unlikely that an electronic module just failed from sitting unless it was outside in the weather and had things corrode or rust.
Old 08-15-2021 | 07:16 PM
wndsnd
Instructor

I had an airbag code that was driving me nuts. It said passenger airbag liight to ground?

So I lifted the seat and checked the grounds, but no go. There are also weight sensors that can cause this, but the simplest solution was to check all the seat connectors. Crap gets under the seats after all these years and could just be enough to cause weak connections.

I think I finnally got it beat.

Good luck hunting them down, they are annoying as _ _ _.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Codes- 805A, C152, C140