Sponsored by:

PA to Nashville Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 02:19 PM
scoobasteve
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default PA to Nashville Suggestions

Hey all, I posted this to the Eastern US board but didn't get helpful replies. Hoping fellow 997 owners will have some good advice - my wife got us tickets to a John Prine tribute concert so I'm thinking about an October road trip from Bucks County, PA to Music City! Looking for suggestions on good driving roads to get us there and a decent place to stay for a night on the way so I can convince the wife a two-day drive in the 911 will be better than flying. Since we're planning on two days travel to get there, I'm open to frolics and detours. TIA.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:55 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobasteve
Hey all, I posted this to the Eastern US board but didn't get helpful replies. Hoping fellow 997 owners will have some good advice - my wife got us tickets to a John Prine tribute concert so I'm thinking about an October road trip from Bucks County, PA to Music City! Looking for suggestions on good driving roads to get us there and a decent place to stay for a night on the way so I can convince the wife a two-day drive in the 911 will be better than flying. Since we're planning on two days travel to get there, I'm open to frolics and detours. TIA.
You could stop in central KY and make a couple stops on the bourbon trail....
Old 07-21-2021, 04:30 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

ride the ridge in the mountains parallel to I-81 all the way down. Those roads are incredible and not heavily travelled. Either to the east of 81 via the Blue Ridge Parkway, or to the west via a few different roads that run the whole ridge. Look for the Devil's Marble Yard and stop there for a bit - a cool scramble up the rocks - linky: https://www.visitroanokeva.com/listi...rbleyard/6637/.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:42 AM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

If you pass through Roanoke and are a fan of steam rail and/or photography, I highly recommend the O. Winston Link Museum Collection. A fascinating look at the man and his work. He shot some of the finest photographs of steam trains ever taken.

While it is the shortest route when there's no accidents, I find driving I-81 very boring. it's reported that more than 40 percent of the truck traffic in the state of VA is on I-81. I have spent many tedious miles behind one semi trying to pass another semi on I-81. The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful with small towns like the former base for the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit - Blowing Rock, NC. If you have the time, you can spend a few great days exploring the many twisty back roads.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:01 PM
scoobasteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions Ed.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:04 PM
scoobasteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkinMD
If you pass through Roanoke and are a fan of steam rail and/or photography, I highly recommend the O. Winston Link Museum Collection. A fascinating look at the man and his work. He shot some of the finest photographs of steam trains ever taken.

While it is the shortest route when there's no accidents, I find driving I-81 very boring. it's reported that more than 40 percent of the truck traffic in the state of VA is on I-81. I have spent many tedious miles behind one semi trying to pass another semi on I-81. The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful with small towns like the former base for the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit - Blowing Rock, NC. If you have the time, you can spend a few great days exploring the many twisty back roads.
Exactly! I'd sooner fly than take 81 all the way. Just need to balance out travel time and Nashville time. I'm hoping to do the trip down in 2 days which i figure should take 14-15 hours total if I limit the detours.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:59 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Not got anything to add to your route other than the Smoky Mountains are amazing:
https://aircooledbug.co.uk/tennessee...-993-roadtrip/

However, when I drove to Nashville two weeks ago, Barista Parlor have some great 911 T-shirts Lovely coffee too.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Quicksilver997S
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in Bucks? I live just above Doylestown, my wife and I saw John Prine in 2018 at the Ryman in Nashville. We flew down but still consider ourselves lucky to have seen John one last time.
The following users liked this post:
JRBucks (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:59 PM
scoobasteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quicksilver997S
Where in Bucks? I live just above Doylestown, my wife and I saw John Prine in 2018 at the Ryman in Nashville. We flew down but still consider ourselves lucky to have seen John one last time.
I'm in Dtown right off S. Main Street. I last saw john in 2017 in Philadelphia - Tree of Forgiveness tour. It was also the last concert I went to with my father before he passed in 2018 and we both had a great time - John was always great but I was really impressed with the musicianship of the rest of the band.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:37 AM
Quicksilver997S
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were walking around DTown yesterday afternoon! I’ll be on the lookout for you next time. We have a blue ‘06 Carrera. Enjoy your trip to Nashville!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:08 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Montgomery AL is a bit out of the way, but its a cool song reference.

Quick Reply: PA to Nashville Suggestions