Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK gear oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 12:28 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Ok. Update on my case.

Round one to the warranty company. "External nuts, bolts and fasteners" are not covered and they are saying that the bolt failed

Now trying to get more information because they do cover "seals and gaskets" except those listed under exclusions. And there is nothing listed under the exclusions.

So my plan is to see if there is a seal or gasket behind that bolt. I assume there is.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:10 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Seems like this is a classic catch-22 situation. The warranty doesn't cover "external nuts, bolts and fasteners" because they are usually simple to replace and the warranty company doesn't want to deal with nickel and dime claims. However, Porsche refuses to replace them and insists you replace the entire transmission.

To pursue a warranty claim you need to look at this differently. Bottom line, Porsche claims your transmission has failed and cannot be fixed (that's the definition of "must be replaced"). Your warranty claim is not against "external nuts, bolts and fasteners" but against a failed transmission. I get the warranty company's point though, as claiming a transmission failed because a removable plug is leaking is patently ridiculous on it's face.

Personally I wouldn't deal with all this semantic BS but would just fix myself. Life is too short to argue with people pretending not to see the obvious, particularly when it comes to money. Reach out to @amet who is a prolific poster (and a nice guy) over in the PDK repair sticky as he can tell you what he found when he had this plug out.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:44 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Yeah. Years ago I'd have been worked up. Now. I'm more in the whatever mood. If they don't fix it I'll probably just drive with it.

But the warranty company said that it was denied because both the service advisor and the inspector called it a "bleeder screw". But if they call it a sealing plug then they would pay for it. So back to step 1. And we will see.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:26 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Round 2 to the warranty company. Again denied

So here is the picture the dealer sent me - sorry they are sideways

Name:  photo502.jpg
Views: 2444
Size:  595.9 KB
Name:  photo256.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  425.1 KB

So warranty company says that the diagnosis is

"Leaking bleeder screw" and they don't pay for screw

My argument is that the cause of the leaking bleeder screw is "Radial shaft seal is damaged" which is the cause.

And the warranty says clearly they pay for seals.

Thought about just tightening the bleeder screw but my thinking now may be that a leak from there is used to diagnose when an internal seal fails. Does that make sense. Anyway. For $18,000 and rental before I just keep driving I'm gonna call them one more time and if they say no it's off to arbitration.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Round 2 to the warranty company. Again denied

So here is the picture the dealer sent me - sorry they are sideways

Attachment 1323836
Attachment 1323835

So warranty company says that the diagnosis is

"Leaking bleeder screw" and they don't pay for screw

My argument is that the cause of the leaking bleeder screw is "Radial shaft seal is damaged" which is the cause.

And the warranty says clearly they pay for seals.

Thought about just tightening the bleeder screw but my thinking now may be that a leak from there is used to diagnose when an internal seal fails. Does that make sense. Anyway. For $18,000 and rental before I just keep driving I'm gonna call them one more time and if they say no it's off to arbitration.
You have nothing to lose and a strong argument IMHO. Best wishes.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Ok I take back every negative thought I had about endurance warranty. Took a few phone calls but they are paying for a new PDK.

From what I gather that plug that is leaking does nothing except leak of the radial shaft seal fails.

Anyway. There is only one new PDK left in the US and it's mine.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:53 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Ok I take back every negative thought I had about endurance warranty. Took a few phone calls but they are paying for a new PDK.

From what I gather that plug that is leaking does nothing except leak of the radial shaft seal fails.

Wow! Gives me hope for my Fidelity powertrain warranty that I bought in case of PDK failure. Congrats.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:40 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I find the low number of support PDKs in the US to be appalling.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:04 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
Wow! Gives me hope for my Fidelity powertrain warranty that I bought in case of PDK failure. Congrats.
Except that he just said there is only 1 PDK left in the US… on a 12 year old car… not a great outlook.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:49 AM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ryantt
Except that he just said there is only 1 PDK left in the US… on a 12 year old car… not a great outlook.
One NEW PDK. I personally wouldn’t care if it were new or not.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:43 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:43 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Transmission is in
Car should be finished in a couple days

Always thought the PDK in the 997 shifted slow compared to the PDK in our Macan. Always chalked it up to no sport button. Interested to see if my trans has always been bad. It did weird things like take a while to get in gear sometimes and also would sometimes roll back when on a hill before going forward. Was always told by the dealer this was normal

And not that I'm complaining but I now have 7 bottles of PDK gear oil that I don't need. Oh well.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:34 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Transmission is in
Car should be finished in a couple days

Always thought the PDK in the 997 shifted slow compared to the PDK in our Macan. Always chalked it up to no sport button. Interested to see if my trans has always been bad. It did weird things like take a while to get in gear sometimes and also would sometimes roll back when on a hill before going forward. Was always told by the dealer this was normal

And not that I'm complaining but I now have 7 bottles of PDK gear oil that I don't need. Oh well.
My 997 PDK experience was the same. It seemed slower than my 2016 981 PDK. The transmission is the same, but I think the computer mapping is different.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:34 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
My 997 PDK experience was the same. It seemed slower than my 2016 981 PDK. The transmission is the same, but I think the computer mapping is different.
This. But Sport Chrono makes a difference.

Rolling back on a hill is normal while you wait for the clutches to engage ... think manual transmission without the third pedal. Add gas to control this. There is supposed to be a hill hold feature if you press the brake pedal hard when stopped and you are on a steep enough hill. This would hold the car until you press the throttle. I don't know if this works or not ... never actually tried it.

While thinking about that absent pedal, oil distribution when first started can cause a sluggish (or no) response when the throttle is pushed. That's normal and something I've seen on other brands as well.

There was a software update that smoothed out shifting. Some liked it. Some didn't. It was a non reversible update. It's been said it was to prolong life. I opted out of the update. At 142K miles mine has been flawless.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:10 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

It's killing me. Transmission is in. But they changed the bolt thread pitch for something or other so they had to order new bolts and the warranty doesn't cover that. So with my deductible and new bolts it's going to cost me almost $200 for the transmission. And not driving the car for 4-6 weeks in the middle of the summer.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK gear oil change