997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2006 997 owner need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021 | 09:01 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

The interior carbon fiber looks like stick-on pieces, so maybe you’ll just need a hair dryer to loosen the glue and goo gone for residue.
Old 06-27-2021 | 09:52 PM
jwalker678
Track Day

Hope that’s the case
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PV997
Not crazy about the yellow interior trim and the ridiculous subwoofer, but some of the upgrades are very nice. It's got Porsche ceramic brakes which is a very expensive factory upgrade ($10k+) and the Champion Motorpsorts wheels are a high quality product along with the Tubi exhaust. Depimp it a bit and you'll have very low mileage 997 with some bling at a good price. Not sure I see the downside here.
I hope I'm wrong on this but I don't think those are genuine ceramic brakes. Look at the rotors. My guess is that the previous owner just had the calipers painted yellow.
Old 06-28-2021 | 02:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jwalker678
Yes, already committed. Can only hope my acting on impulse doesn't bite me in the ***. I did talk to the seller for an hour yesterday and feel a bit more optimistic. Of course he could be conning me but he spoke knowledgeably about the car and seemed genuinely enthusiastic when he talked about it. After reading 100 reviews about Porsche St.Louis (dealer) I plan to take it there for the inspection. It is curious why the original owner bought a base 997 then immediately sent it to Gemballa for extensive and expensive mods but including an "S" upgrade. Why not just buy and S or for what he spent a turbo?
All I can think is that the original owner had very specific wants and needs and buying a base car left him with more money to pay for the mods he wanted. Seems like none of the things he did comes with an S or a turbo anyway.
Old 06-28-2021 | 03:54 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwalker678
I know Reid Vann has been around a long time so I’ll schedule a ppi with them and keep my fingers crossed.
+1 for Reid Vann in St Louis. I used to live around there and Reid Vann was the place to go, they also sponsored many Porsche meets with the dealership there. They aren't on the cheap side but rates are definitely reasonable for the service you are getting. I had my 06 S serviced there my entire ownership.
Old 06-28-2021 | 07:52 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Car is from Key West. I live in South Florida too. Not to rain on your parade but have it checked extensively for flood damage. Note comments stating the computer (maybe immobilizer???) was recently replaced. Hope I am wrong. Best wishes.
Old 06-28-2021 | 08:41 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I hope I'm wrong on this but I don't think those are genuine ceramic brakes. Look at the rotors. My guess is that the previous owner just had the calipers painted yellow.
Oh my gosh, you are right. Look at photo 55 and click on it to zoom way in. Those are regular iron rotors and are definitely not carbon-reinforced ceramic type.

Sorry OP to have has passed along bad info. The owner probably just put on ceramic pads, painted the calipers yellow, and called them "ceramic brakes". I don't know how strict Cars and Bids is about this stuff, but the "Modifications" sections says, "Upgraded ceramic brakes with yellow calipers". At best it's misleading. My mistake for not checking more closely and taking it at face value.

Edit: Curious what others think as maybe I'm over-reacting since I was fooled. Is listing the car stating "Upgraded ceramic brakes with yellow calipers" a misrepresentation, or is this just the usual caveat emptor?

Last edited by PV997; 06-28-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2021 | 11:10 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

"Edit: Curious what others think as maybe I'm over-reacting since I was fooled. Is listing the car stating "Upgraded ceramic brakes with yellow calipers" a misrepresentation, or is this just the usual caveat emptor?"

Well, its not a lie if it has ceramic pads...., but yes could easily be misconstrued
Old 06-28-2021 | 11:22 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Car is from Key West. I live in South Florida too. Not to rain on your parade but have it checked extensively for flood damage. Note comments stating the computer (maybe immobilizer???) was recently replaced. Hope I am wrong. Best wishes.
Originally Posted by PV997
Oh my gosh, you are right. Look at photo 55 and click on it to zoom way in. Those are regular iron rotors and are definitely not carbon-reinforced ceramic type.

Sorry OP to have has passed along bad info. The owner probably just put on ceramic pads, painted the calipers yellow, and called them "ceramic brakes". I don't know how strict Cars and Bids is about this stuff, but the "Modifications" sections says, "Upgraded ceramic brakes with yellow calipers". At best it's misleading. My mistake for not checking more closely and taking it at face value.

Edit: Curious what others think as maybe I'm over-reacting since I was fooled. Is listing the car stating "Upgraded ceramic brakes with yellow calipers" a misrepresentation, or is this just the usual caveat emptor?
Above comments are excellent observations and advice on this car in my opinion. According to the CarFax, the car spent a significant amount of time in Key West FL - which to me would be concerning. Regarding the comments pertaining to the brakes - clearly any statements conveying upgraded ceramic brakes is a misrepresentation. Not to mention that those rotors in the photos look to be in sorry shape.

One photo that I thought stood out as being particularly odd is the one below - that shows some kind of fabric material that has been placed over the driver's seat track. Why would someone do that? Maybe if the seat track was rusted? At a minimum - very odd to me...

Old 06-29-2021 | 03:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sporty
"Edit: Curious what others think as maybe I'm over-reacting since I was fooled. Is listing the car stating "Upgraded ceramic brakes with yellow calipers" a misrepresentation, or is this just the usual caveat emptor?"

Well, its not a lie if it has ceramic pads...., but yes could easily be misconstrued
Well, is it "upgraded ceramic brakes" if it has regular iron rotors as opposed to carbon-reinforced ceramic rotors? And are ceramic calipers/pads even compatible with regular iron rotors? Even if they are, what's the point? The ceramic calipers/pads are designed to work with the rotors they are sold with. I wonder if you can even buy the calipers/pads separately without the rotors they're designed to be in harmony with.

Also, the size of the calipers don't look like the real deal either so my guess is still that the black calipers on the base car were simply repainted (nice job though). So I'll bet good money this not a complete set of OEM ceramic brakes. Most likely not even an incomplete set IMO. Just repainted calipers and misrepresentation by the seller.
Old 07-05-2021 | 02:15 PM
jwalker678
Track Day

Thanks for all of the helpful comments. I just got back from a 6 day trip without any internet access. The car arrived while I was gone and I drove for the first time today. Not having any tags I only drove a few miles but it seems very strong and a blast to drive. I plan to schedule an inspection and to include a comparison of stated modifications with actual. I'll post what I learn.

Last edited by jwalker678; 07-05-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: New 2006 997 owner need advice