Sponsored by:

PSA - 997 carbon fiber buckets being discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The only thing I can say is that Sport Buckets were a $4k option on my car. They are probably the only bargain that PAG/VWAG offered.
Probably the best option bargain I've heard of. Add next to $8,000 if you want the same seats today. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2SEATS.html
Old 06-12-2021, 11:45 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Long shot but is it possible that the 997 buckets you sat in that felt too high felt that way because the seat mounts had been modified for someone who felt the factory configuration was too low? I say this because like you, I like to sit low and the height is just right for me in stock configuration. As I've said in previous threads on the subject, I would like a little more tilt backwards but I compensate for that by sliding a bit forward in the seat and it comes close enough rather than messing around with the seat mounts.

I've also read some posts here from shorter people who complained that there was no upward adjustment so some may have made adjustments to the seat mounts. Again, I'm 6'3" and 192 lbs. When seated, the bottom of the top of the steering wheel is right at the top edge of the tach gauge if that makes any sense.

As for the buckets transforming the driving experience of the car, worth repeating and can't be overstated. I guess that's Porsche's justification for the price they're asking for them.
I've sat in three sets. A 997.2 C4S launch car. A 997.1 GT3 (that had them added, they were actually out of a GT2) and a 997.2 GT3 that came with them.

All were too high. 997.2 C4S and 997.1 GT3 I actually touched the roof with my head (since those cars have sunroofs). The 997.2 GT3 I did not touch the roof, but I was looking out the top portion of the windshield, like I was on the other cars and my knees touched the steering wheel on the 997.2 C4S and in the 997.1 GT3, I was very close to the dash (I was a passenger in that car).

I know other taller members have made mention of the same situation.

Trust me, I definitely want them to work, if they did, I'd probably be purchasing a set sooner rather than later. If I could at least find a member local to me that had the Tarett or Cantrell lowering brackets, I'd try them out, then would probably remove the seat insert and bring a one inch piece of foam to see if that would get me where I needed to be. If you can't tell, they're amazing seats as I've thought through all of the ways to get them to work, just not willing to take the $10k risk on them if I can't try them out first.

Looks like Cantrell offers a set of brackets which lower the seats even more than Tarett one.

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...side-mounts-2/

https://www.tarett.com/items/986-987...slb-detail.htm
Old 06-13-2021, 02:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I've sat in three sets. A 997.2 C4S launch car. A 997.1 GT3 (that had them added, they were actually out of a GT2) and a 997.2 GT3 that came with them.

All were too high. 997.2 C4S and 997.1 GT3 I actually touched the roof with my head (since those cars have sunroofs). The 997.2 GT3 I did not touch the roof, but I was looking out the top portion of the windshield, like I was on the other cars and my knees touched the steering wheel on the 997.2 C4S and in the 997.1 GT3, I was very close to the dash (I was a passenger in that car).

I know other taller members have made mention of the same situation.

Trust me, I definitely want them to work, if they did, I'd probably be purchasing a set sooner rather than later. If I could at least find a member local to me that had the Tarett or Cantrell lowering brackets, I'd try them out, then would probably remove the seat insert and bring a one inch piece of foam to see if that would get me where I needed to be. If you can't tell, they're amazing seats as I've thought through all of the ways to get them to work, just not willing to take the $10k risk on them if I can't try them out first.

Looks like Cantrell offers a set of brackets which lower the seats even more than Tarett one.

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...side-mounts-2/

https://www.tarett.com/items/986-987...slb-detail.htm
This is really weird unless you're unusually tall. And I think the possibility of all three sets you sat in having been raised is probably low or zero. I got curious enough where I had to go to the garage and compare your observations with my normal seating position. Again, I'm 6'3". I have 5" between the top of my head and the roof and my straight line eyeball line is probably 1" or maybe close to 2" above the top of the steering wheel. So nowhere near the top of the windshield. Bottom line, I sit low (and comfortably).

All I can think is that the variable here is how we're built. Some have longer legs and shorter upper bodies and others the other way around. That said, I must have long legs since I'm 5" away from the roof with my head but I also never felt the steering wheel with my legs so that doesn't add up either. The only other possibility I can think of is that both cars I've had with the buckets had the seats lowered but what are the odds of that. Both had identical driving positions.

The Cantrell mod looks good since it also gives you the option of tilting the seat but would 1 1/4" lower do it for you given what you've described? I can't say I blame you for being reluctant dropping $11K on seats that may not measure up even with modifications. Sorry but I can't think of any ideas better than what you've already come up with yourself.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 166 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey everyone, the carbon fiber folding bucket seats, or GT2 seats as we call them, are still very much active and available through Porsche. A quick stock check is showing four full sets in Germany and actually much more stock of the driver seat. There are over 15 driver side seats available.

If you have any questions shoot us a PM or give us a call. They're a pretty penny for sure, but widely regarded as one of the best genuine upgrades available for any Porsche

997 GT2 Carbon Fiber Bucket Seats - Fits All US 997/987 models

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Hey everyone, the carbon fiber folding bucket seats, or GT2 seats as we call them, are still very much active and available through Porsche. A quick stock check is showing four full sets in Germany and actually much more stock of the driver seat. There are over 15 driver side seats available.

If you have any questions shoot us a PM or give us a call. They're a pretty penny for sure, but widely regarded as one of the best genuine upgrades available for any Porsche

In Europe they are sold out of ROW (rest of world...meaning not for the U.S. market) seats, and Gert at Carnewel told another buyer that's it. No more. While the U.S. market seats are available now are they still in production? You guys should know the inside scoop.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 309 Posts

any deals for fellow Rennlisters ?

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts

Old 06-14-2021, 04:27 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I just can’t imagine spending $12,000 for a couple seats. But, hey, that’s just me.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:29 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

I just bought a set, The parts guy said 2 "pairs" left and 10 drivers seats in US version.

Last edited by maekwl; 06-15-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I just can’t imagine spending $12,000 for a couple seats. But, hey, that’s just me.
I know it sounds insane but I think it's just one of those things you have to experience and feel in person to make sense of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Completely transforms the connection with the car. You just don't sit down or slide into it like regular stock seats. You drop into it and it wraps around you making it feel like you're part of the car in a way any of the stock seats can't do. Hard to describe which is why it has to be felt in person rather than just reading about it.

Whether or not this transformation is worth almost $12,000 is another topic and a subjective one.

Old 06-20-2021, 05:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This is really weird unless you're unusually tall. And I think the possibility of all three sets you sat in having been raised is probably low or zero. I got curious enough where I had to go to the garage and compare your observations with my normal seating position. Again, I'm 6'3". I have 5" between the top of my head and the roof and my straight line eyeball line is probably 1" or maybe close to 2" above the top of the steering wheel. So nowhere near the top of the windshield. Bottom line, I sit low (and comfortably).

All I can think is that the variable here is how we're built. Some have longer legs and shorter upper bodies and others the other way around. That said, I must have long legs since I'm 5" away from the roof with my head but I also never felt the steering wheel with my legs so that doesn't add up either. The only other possibility I can think of is that both cars I've had with the buckets had the seats lowered but what are the odds of that. Both had identical driving positions.

The Cantrell mod looks good since it also gives you the option of tilting the seat but would 1 1/4" lower do it for you given what you've described? I can't say I blame you for being reluctant dropping $11K on seats that may not measure up even with modifications. Sorry but I can't think of any ideas better than what you've already come up with yourself.
I'm 2" taller than you are. But again, it must be a difference in torso vs legs. The 1 1/4" would be a good start, along with a thinner cushion. But probably not enough to be truly comfortable in the seat.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. I'll probably revisit this at some point in the future if I get to try out a set with the lowering brackets and thinner foam.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I'm 2" taller than you are. But again, it must be a difference in torso vs legs. The 1 1/4" would be a good start, along with a thinner cushion. But probably not enough to be truly comfortable in the seat.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated. I'll probably revisit this at some point in the future if I get to try out a set with the lowering brackets and thinner foam.
You're welcome although I don't feel like I've been of much help. I'm quick to say that I don't know of all the adjustments that can be made to the buckets. All I've read and heard about were related to height and tilt backwards. If you haven't already I would check with the nearest dealership or the most reputable indy working on P-cars to see if there are other options/adjustments that can be made.

As opposed to the Boxster and the Cayman which I don't fit in at all no matter what adjustments are made since there's no space behind the driver's seat fully aft, there's plenty of room behind the driver's seat fully aft in the 997 with the buckets. So maybe there's a way. Lots of creative people out there.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:43 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Another crazy price sale of a set:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-rs-6/

Quick Reply: PSA - 997 carbon fiber buckets being discontinued