997.1 C2S pricing advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 09:00 PM
rajat
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997.1 C2S pricing advice

Hello everyone,

I’ve been looking to get into a 997.1 C2S. As you all know, prices are ridiculous.

I came across a 2007 with around 39k miles. It has records from day 1. Has new tires and the 40k service done.

The dealer (not Porsche) is asking $57k. Is that an ok price? I’m not in a rush to buy but if prices just keep going up, I’d rather get in now than later. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-05-2021, 09:07 PM
USMMA
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

At that price point I’m assuming it’s a manual? $57k seems a little high for a 997.1 C2S with manual but as you stated prices have been rising and at most it’s $2-4k high and in this market not really worth losing a car over a few $k if it’s spec’d like you want in a good color, etc
Service done and new tires is a big plus. Grab it and enjoy
Old 06-05-2021, 09:08 PM
rajat
Intermediate

Ah yes, sorry forgot to add that. It is manual.

Originally Posted by USMMA
At that price point I’m assuming it’s a manual? $57k seems a little high for a 997.1 C2S with manual but as you stated prices have been rising and at most it’s $2-4k high and in this market not really worth losing a car over a few $k if it’s spec’d like you want in a good color, etc
Service done and new tires is a big plus. Grab it and enjoy
Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 AM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

What options does it have? Use vinanalytics.com to get the build.
That seems high, but it is a dealer. I’m not an expert, but I’d estimate $50k without knowing specifics (higher for full leather, sport chrono, etc.)

See here for comps of 997.1 S/4S 6-speeds https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/99...ed&result=sold
Old 06-06-2021, 12:37 AM
rajat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by southbay
What options does it have? Use vinanalytics.com to get the build.
That seems high, but it is a dealer. I’m not an expert, but I’d estimate $50k without knowing specifics (higher for full leather, sport chrono, etc.)

See here for comps of 997.1 S/4S 6-speeds https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/99...ed&result=sold
Old 06-07-2021, 03:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by rajat
Hello everyone,

I’ve been looking to get into a 997.1 C2S. As you all know, prices are ridiculous.

I came across a 2007 with around 39k miles. It has records from day 1. Has new tires and the 40k service done.

The dealer (not Porsche) is asking $57k. Is that an ok price? I’m not in a rush to buy but if prices just keep going up, I’d rather get in now than later. Thanks for your help!
I haven't shopped the market lately but have casually followed those who have. I know prices are creeping upwards relentlessly but $57K for a 2007 seems on the high side. Yes, it has low miles and what sounds like good maint. records but doesn't getting into the $50K zone, never mind the high 50's get you into the possibility of a 997.2? At least a base car? A lot of improvements on the .2 cars over the .1.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:50 AM
texass4
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I haven't shopped the market lately but have casually followed those who have. I know prices are creeping upwards relentlessly but $57K for a 2007 seems on the high side. Yes, it has low miles and what sounds like good maint. records but doesn't getting into the $50K zone, never mind the high 50's get you into the possibility of a 997.2? At least a base car? A lot of improvements on the .2 cars over the .1.

It seems like mid to high 50s gets you into a decent .2, though it’s probably not going to be a manual (if that’s important to you) or a nicer, low mile .1 C2S with manual.

The price is a little high, but it does appear to have a fair bit going for it…new tires, fresh service, records and presumably local. To some (myself included) there’s value there. Tires and major service alone is probably worth 1500 to 2K. There’s probably a better deal out there somewhere, but there’s surely a worse one. If i were the thread starter, I’d be brushing up my negotiation skills and try to land this one a little lower.

But with every 997 hunt, I’d still have to recommend that you remain willing to walk if you can’t put a deal together. There are a TON of them out there and many still in excellent, original condition.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:06 AM
rajat
Intermediate

Seemingly not these days. A search on Autotrader across the country shows that even a base .2 in manual with around 50k miles is $65k+ Just the market these days, I guess.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Old 06-07-2021, 10:13 AM
rajat
Intermediate

Manual is important to me and I’m seeing base .2 in manual for around $65k+

Originally Posted by texass4
It seems like mid to high 50s gets you into a decent .2, though it’s probably not going to be a manual (if that’s important to you) or a nicer, low mile .1 C2S with manual.
It is not local but in the next state over. What do you think would be a good price for it in relation to “landing it a bit lower?” I am willing to walk away.

The price is a little high, but it does appear to have a fair bit going for it…new tires, fresh service, records and presumably local. To some (myself included) there’s value there. Tires and major service alone is probably worth 1500 to 2K. There’s probably a better deal out there somewhere, but there’s surely a worse one. If i were the thread starter, I’d be brushing up my negotiation skills and try to land this one a little lower.
I found one that is local to my state. A 2007 with 52k miles. This one needs new tires but has more options than the first I posted. Asking $55k.

But with every 997 hunt, I’d still have to recommend that you remain willing to walk if you can’t put a deal together. There are a TON of them out there and many still in excellent, original condition.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:21 AM
USMMA
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

A quick search of cars.com shows approx 17 997.1 (I just did 2006-2008) manual coupes (C2S or C4S) in the US with less than 50k miles, in my opinion that is pretty low supply. Prices for those 17 range from $50k to $85k, so at $57k you are on the lower end. 2 years ago that car might have been a $45 -$47k car in my opinion, if you could get it for $53-$54k I think you’ve done well in the current market.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S pricing advice