Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window motor - is there a switch inside?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 04:12 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Window motor - is there a switch inside?

I am having a continuing issue with my passenger side window and alarm system. I replaced the handle switch with an OEM switch. I replaced the door latch (which has 2 switches inside) with an OEM switch. I checked the regulator cables and pulleys and it is ok.

I had gone as far as I could so I took it to my local mechanic and he looked into the window switch and it appears to be fine. Now he thinks it might be the motor. At over $600 I am thinking this over.

Symptoms:

Passenger side specific:
  • If you open the door from either passenger side handle the window drops. When you close the door the window does NOT go back up.
  • If you just lift the handle just a little the window drops even if you do not open the door but does not go back up (driver side does) when you let go.
  • The auto up function does not work (all the way down or above half way 0 no difference.)
  • The auto down does work.
Both sides:
  • With both windows all the way up...
    • I get a double beep when trying to lock with the remote. Car will not lock.
    • I get a double beep when I try to lock with the key manually. Doors unlock.
    • The doors lock when I use the interior button.
  • The gas filler flap just started to not lock or open. I used the manual override recently and now it will not lock.
I am getting some error codes regarding the passenger side door. It is unclear what they mean. Something about door controller failure but I can not seem to find a part by that name.

So the motor seems to work fine and the regulator cables and pulleys seem fine. Seems like there has to be another switch switch or component some place that is not working.

I think if I solve this the alarm issues will go away.

Any one have any ideas?

Old 05-19-2021, 04:54 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Don’t know if this will address your specific problem, but this post on the 996 board (the 997 has a similar design) is a good checklist for window related switches.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post9969739

It helped me debug a window switch problem.

Karl.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (05-19-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:03 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

That is a good post and I did read through it. Those ideas however did not solve the problem. I am taking a chance that it is the control module that is part of the motor assembly and ordered a used one from Ebay. More to come on the adventure...
Old 05-23-2021, 03:01 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

So I replaced the passenger window motor and control module. I got a used one on eBay for $110. a new one is over 600. I installed it and the window drop now returns to the up position when I close the door.

the error code saying I had a bad window controller is gone.

but the door will still not lock. I used my Foxwell reader and it shows that the unit things the car is a cabriolet, not the coupe it is. There is a sequence to program it to be a coupe but after I edit the unit and save it the message saying It will not communicate with the device.

anyone have any idea why the Foxwell won’t make the change stick?
Old 08-08-2021, 09:43 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm in a similar boat. Window does not go back up to close the gap with door closed. I used my Foxwell and got a few codes, specifically 8026 (control unit faulty) and 8023 (control unit faulty).

I followed the link to track down the fault and determined the door lock assembly switch was bad. I replaced the door lock assembly but did not fix the problem. So maybe the window motor is next.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:56 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

I read my manual and found that clicking the remote twice locks the doors with out trying to set the alarm. I can lock the car, but if I just click the remote once, the alarm wont set and the doors unlock.

So this is what I know:
  • No error codes
  • Used passenger door motor / controller assembly that fixed the problem that the window would not go back up when I closed the door
  • New Passenger door lock
  • New passenger exterior door handle switch
  • Tested the interior door handle switch and it works fine
  • no issues with the drivers door
  • Both windows go up and down as they are supposed to
  • If push the interior lock button the doors lock
  • If I hit the remote once, I get a double beep and the door locks then unlocks
  • If I hit the remote twice, I get a double beep but the doors lock as they should but the alarm is not on.
  • When I got the car a year ago, the stem that connects the key cylinder to the lock assembly was not in the slot properly. I could not lock or unlock the car with a key. I put it back together properly and it then worked fine. I checked the switches and they all seemed fine. But when I try to lock the car with the key I get a double beep .

Any ideas why the alarm will not set?

Old 08-20-2021, 05:09 AM
990SD
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdsculler
I read my manual and found that clicking the remote twice locks the doors with out trying to set the alarm. I can lock the car, but if I just click the remote once, the alarm wont set and the doors unlock.

So this is what I know:
  • No error codes
  • Used passenger door motor / controller assembly that fixed the problem that the window would not go back up when I closed the door
  • New Passenger door lock
  • New passenger exterior door handle switch
  • Tested the interior door handle switch and it works fine
  • no issues with the drivers door
  • Both windows go up and down as they are supposed to
  • If push the interior lock button the doors lock
  • If I hit the remote once, I get a double beep and the door locks then unlocks
  • If I hit the remote twice, I get a double beep but the doors lock as they should but the alarm is not on.
  • When I got the car a year ago, the stem that connects the key cylinder to the lock assembly was not in the slot properly. I could not lock or unlock the car with a key. I put it back together properly and it then worked fine. I checked the switches and they all seemed fine. But when I try to lock the car with the key I get a double beep .

Any ideas why the alarm will not set?

Hi there.
I'm searching forums for the solution to my problem where my widow also won't automatically go back up. I've even got the door lock/catch mechanism in my hand thinking it was the problem. Only to see your thread and another similar one saying it ended up being the window mechanism/controller assembly. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

Just one thought as to why your car might no be locking: I wonder if a sensor on the boot lid or frunk is not registering as being closed properly? Or fuel lid fouling the catch when the pin engages when you lock the car?
Old 08-20-2021, 10:59 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the ideas about the buttons that indicate the frunk, gas lid, etc are closed. I will take a look.

I did get an error code that said "faulty door controller" though I could not diagnosis a problem. I was convinced like you that it had to be the door mechanism.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:47 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 990SD
Hi there.
I'm searching forums for the solution to my problem where my widow also won't automatically go back up. I've even got the door lock/catch mechanism in my hand thinking it was the problem. Only to see your thread and another similar one saying it ended up being the window mechanism/controller assembly. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

Just one thought as to why your car might no be locking: I wonder if a sensor on the boot lid or frunk is not registering as being closed properly? Or fuel lid fouling the catch when the pin engages when you lock the car?
I have the “window drops on door open but does go back up when door closes” problem and am trying to figure out how to address it. I thought it was a micro switch in the door lock mechanism after reading a thread in the 996 section (I think, I’ve read a couple).

Quick Reply: Window motor - is there a switch inside?