Sponsored by:

Water in fog housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 01:34 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Water in fog housing

I've checked for anything obvious like cracks or loose bulbs but nothing came up.

Any ideas? Cleared up after some driving, just making sure this is normal. Otherside had no such problem.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:32 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by misterdega
I've checked for anything obvious like cracks or loose bulbs but nothing came up.

Any ideas? Cleared up after some driving, just making sure this is normal. Otherside had no such problem.
I've had the same problem on my P-car as well as other cars. If an enclosure is not completely sealed properly, water will find a way inside it. Once the halogen light comes on and generates heat, the moisture is vaporized, and the result is a fogged-up enclosure.

My advice is to get some black silicone and seal around the perimeter where the clear lens attaches to the housing. In my experience, that solves the problem. Be careful and wear gloves, because black silicone can be rather messy and get into the skin. Once you get it sealed, the let the enclosures dry for 24 hrs before use.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2021, 08:48 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
I've had the same problem on my P-car as well as other cars. If an enclosure is not completely sealed properly, water will find a way inside it. Once the halogen light comes on and generates heat, the moisture is vaporized, and the result is a fogged-up enclosure.

My advice is to get some black silicone and seal around the perimeter where the clear lens attaches to the housing. In my experience, that solves the problem. Be careful and wear gloves, because black silicone can be rather messy and get into the skin. Once you get it sealed, the let the enclosures dry for 24 hrs before use.

Good luck!
Gotcha. Thank you!
You mind showing me exactly where you put it? Am I lining it up right onto of the outside of where it connects? Or am I pulling it apart and putting it in the inside?

Last edited by misterdega; 05-02-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:09 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by misterdega
Gotcha. Thank you!
You mind showing me exactly where you put it? Am I lining it up right onto of the outside of where it connects? Or am I pulling it apart and putting it in the inside?
I haven't done this specific fog lamp, but most of the designs are the same or similar. That is, either you pop off the front lens and apply the sealant into the clear lens groove (where it rests inside the black rear portion of the enclosure) or if there is original factory glue still holding the clear lens in place, just apply some sealant inside the gap around the perimeter of the enclosure where the two parts meet. Think about it like adding a rubber gasket.

The following users liked this post:
misterdega (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 11:56 AM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
I haven't done this specific fog lamp, but most of the designs are the same or similar. That is, either you pop off the front lens and apply the sealant into the clear lens groove (where it rests inside the black rear portion of the enclosure) or if there is original factory glue still holding the clear lens in place, just apply some sealant inside the gap around the perimeter of the enclosure where the two parts meet. Think about it like adding a rubber gasket.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Pull that light assembly using the card method (that's how they're removed) and make sure the rubber moisture vent is on the back of the light is there and not clogged up. When you have the light up, you can also take a hair dryer on low heat to warm it up and try to get the moisture to evaporate out the vent (obviously the vent needs to be at the top when you're holding it.
The following users liked this post:
misterdega (05-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Water in fog housing