Sponsored by:

clicking/popping sound in rear when releasing brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 06:45 PM
jsfried18
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default clicking/popping sound in rear when releasing brake pedal

Hey guys, I've been having this weird noise when coming to a stop and releasing brake pedal pressure before coming to a complete stop where it makes a single click or popping sounds.

I saw another post about something similar but nobody was able to figure it out. i replaced the brake pad spring clips and it did not help.

Any advice or ideas?
Old 05-02-2021, 02:07 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Are you stopping on an uphill incline? If so, it could be the parking brake moving into hill hold. My car makes a break-free noise when I get back on the accelerator after stopping on a hill. Only when its cold. Haven't heard it after warmed up. Credit to Petza14 for that info.

Last edited by BucketList; 05-02-2021 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Credits
Old 05-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Nor sure what year or model car the OP has, but the 997.1 doesn't have the hill hold feature.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:37 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 305 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jsfried18
Hey guys, I've been having this weird noise when coming to a stop and releasing brake pedal pressure before coming to a complete stop where it makes a single click or popping sounds.

I saw another post about something similar but nobody was able to figure it out. i replaced the brake pad spring clips and it did not help.

Any advice or ideas?

do you have those backing plate vibration dampener things on? My brakes started making weird clicking sounds when i removed them.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by workhurts
do you have those backing plate vibration dampener things on? My brakes started making weird clicking sounds when i removed them.
These?

?

Old 05-02-2021, 02:34 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

He has a .2 C2 according to the original post. Therefore he has hill hold and he does not have those dampers. The .2 car C2 has a brand new design brake system. Nothing carries over. that is why there is confusion on what rotors and pads fit what model. .2 cars are different. As to the problem, I do not have an answer for the particular question , but will think about.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:20 PM
jsfried18
Instructor

I do have a .2 c2 without the dampers. It is not the hill hold as it happens on flat ground and sometimes with hill hold it does not even make the sound. Someone on Facebook told me to engage parking brake and go back and forth and did not make any difference or recreate the sound. Not sure if this matters but I do have ferrodo ds1.11 pads however I’ve had them for about 2 months and this problem just came up last week however I’ll be switching to the ferrodo ds2500 in a week or two once they ship.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:27 PM
jsfried18
Instructor

However I was quite liberal with liquimollys blue anti squeel which did nothing other than make a mess and get everything blue especially after a track day. I tried cleaning it all off and now have a little remaining on the piston seals. Is it Mossi or that is causing an issue?

would this make you want to rebuild the calipers?
Old 05-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

The new design brake system your car has does need any of the paste or dampers etc. All you need are the thin metal plates that are snapped onto the pads. (they should have been attached to your new pads). The guy with the handbrake idea was talking about the parking brake adjustment. Did you have the rear rotors off? Can you tell if the noise is from front or rear? If the rear, check the parking brake shoes and their adjustment.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would guess the guy with the handbrake idea was trying to see if the pads were shifting in the caliper, but that doesn't actually work since the parking brake controls shoes inside the rear hub. On other cars, the parking brake pulls a cable on an arm that actually mechanically engages the disc brakes. For example, the 914 parking brake works like this.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 PM
jsfried18
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floyd540
The new design brake system your car has does need any of the paste or dampers etc. All you need are the thin metal plates that are snapped onto the pads. (they should have been attached to your new pads). The guy with the handbrake idea was talking about the parking brake adjustment. Did you have the rear rotors off? Can you tell if the noise is from front or rear? If the rear, check the parking brake shoes and their adjustment.
the rotors were replaced about 5 months ago and 2k miles ago. Sound is much newer
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 PM
jsfried18
Instructor

Thanks to my awesome local indi they figured out in 2 minutes that it was the brake pad shifting in the caliper. So looks like ferrodo ds1.11s aren’t so great for this car
Old 05-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Be careful in sorting out what pads will fit. As I mentioned in post #6 above, the pad reference charts from the manufacturers are not accurate in many cases and senseless in other occasions. Be careful out there!
Old 07-24-2021, 01:17 AM
nerdnic
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

What ended up happening with your brakes OP? I wanted to share my experience with this issue.

This same noise started happening to me after I changed my rear pads (997.2 c2) from OEM to Brembo ceramic pads. In my troubleshooting, I discovered the root issue is the pads can move more than desired on the sliders. This is because the caliper clip/spring is not firm enough and allows the pads to move toward the center of the wheel and away from the center of the wheel easily, which creates an audible (and tactile in the pedal) click. My front clips are much firmer, and while I can move the pads with my hands, it's not as easy as the rear.

The click can be reproduced in 3 ways:

1. Going in reverse and braking (click) and then going forward again, you'll hear another click the first time using your brakes after braking in reverse.
2. I can also hear the click when the pads are not warmed, by just by tapping the brakes while going 30+mph. Each quick pedal press produces a click.
3. When coming to a stop, holding brakes and then releasing to accelerate, the pads releasing off the rotors will make the click.

I've attached a video showing the pad movement and sound.

Last edited by nerdnic; 07-24-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 AM
jsfried18
Instructor

Originally Posted by nerdnic
What ended up happening with your brakes OP? I wanted to share my experience with this issue.

This same noise started happening to me after I changed my rear pads (997.2 c2) from OEM to Brembo ceramic pads. In my troubleshooting, I discovered the root issue is the pads can move more than desired on the sliders. This is because the caliper clip/spring is not firm enough and allows the pads to move toward the center of the wheel and away from the center of the wheel easily, which creates an audible (and tactile in the pedal) click. My front clips are much firmer, and while I can move the pads with my hands, it's not as easy as the rear.

The click can be reproduced in 3 ways:

1. Going in reverse and braking (click) and then going forward again, you'll hear another click the first time using your brakes after braking in reverse.
2. I can also hear the click when the pads are not warmed, by just by tapping the brakes while going 30+mph. Each quick pedal press produces a click.
3. When coming to a stop, holding brakes and then releasing to accelerate, the pads releasing off the rotors will make the click.

I've attached a video showing the pad movement and sound.

I had the same experience. the pads were moving around in the caliper due to them being too small. I even changed the clips hoping they put more pressure on the pad and fix the problem although nothing worked. Luckily i bought them from fcp euro so i sent them back and got some new pads and the issue was gone.

Quick Reply: clicking/popping sound in rear when releasing brake pedal