Sponsored by:

Hands Free Phone Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 12:49 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,152 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Default Hands Free Phone Question

Just started putting miles on my 997.2 4s. Car has factory BT connectivity for iPhone and the universal audio interface in the center console. I have successfully synched my iPhone X via BT and also have the 30 pin to lightning adaptor and successfully see all my music on the center screen. When connected to the center console interface I can receive Waze audio warnings through the car audio even though I can't see my iPhone screen since it's not mounted yet. My question regards answering an incoming call. Last night I had everything connected and happened to see on the very bottom of my center screen that I was receiving a call, but I didn't hear it ring and couldn't figure out how to answer the call. Should I have heard the ringing? How exactly do you answer an incoming call? My steering wheel is not stock, it was replaced with an Alcantara Sports Steering wheel. Were there buttons on the stock steering wheel to answer/make a call?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:54 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I pick up my calls via the multi function steering wheel. Absent that I would need to use the phone screen.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:59 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

That was my initial thought after realizing my steering wheel is not stock. That explains not being able to answer it, weird that I didn't hear it ringing. I will do some testing and see it the non-ringing persists. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Mine is an Android. I found I needed to get the phone settings right (what sound has priority) to get everything where I wanted it ... Background Waze volume when using the phone or listening to music, music off when using phone, etc.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:04 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

I would start by connecting an android phone and see if you get the same behavior to eliminate the possibility this is an iphone quirk.

If the behavior is the same I would say that as not all steering wheels had the mutifunction buttons on them - if yours did there is probably a MF adapter box connected that the PCM still see's - you might have to disable this with a PIWIS or maybe a Foxwell or other tool to get the PCM to display the 'Pick Up' button on an incoming call.

FYI - I have replaced my original (non-multifunction) wheel with the same sport wheel and don't have this issue - on an incoming call the PCM screen changes to notify you and you can answer the call from the PCM.

Hope this helps....
Old 04-20-2021, 06:16 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tj40
I would start by connecting an android phone and see if you get the same behavior to eliminate the possibility this is an iphone quirk.

If the behavior is the same I would say that as not all steering wheels had the mutifunction buttons on them - if yours did there is probably a MF adapter box connected that the PCM still see's - you might have to disable this with a PIWIS or maybe a Foxwell or other tool to get the PCM to display the 'Pick Up' button on an incoming call.

FYI - I have replaced my original (non-multifunction) wheel with the same sport wheel and don't have this issue - on an incoming call the PCM screen changes to notify you and you can answer the call from the PCM.

Hope this helps....
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw the call displayed on the bottom line of the PCM screen. How do you answer the call from the PCM as you said above. Glad to know this can work with replaced steering wheel, that is a big +.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:20 AM
David Berry
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 72 Posts

My PCM shows incoming calls, it shows a handset to answer or hang up.
choose pick up call and call is on audio. Audio must be turned up to hear
I also see option to pick up call on center dash . Use computer stalk to highlight pickup

Last edited by David Berry; 04-21-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

My Android in my 09 Cayenne (same PCM version with multi audio interface you have) causes the car to make a ringing sound when an incoming call arrives. I believe there are settings for this in the PCM menus and a few different ring tones you can select. Maybe your incoming ring notification option is turned off.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:36 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I have a Durametric and will see what I can access in the PCM Menu. I did a test last night and when a call came in my iPhone at first prompted me to select output and PCM was one of the options. I was then able to hit the phone button on PCM and choose answer. Not quite hands free but at least I know I'm on the right track. I need to do a further test regarding (1) whether the actual RING comes thru the audio and (2) whether I need to make setting adjustments on my iPhone every time I connect it to the armrest inputs. I will report back. Thx again.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
Thanks. I have a Durametric and will see what I can access in the PCM Menu. I did a test last night and when a call came in my iPhone at first prompted me to select output and PCM was one of the options. I was then able to hit the phone button on PCM and choose answer. Not quite hands free but at least I know I'm on the right track. I need to do a further test regarding (1) whether the actual RING comes thru the audio and (2) whether I need to make setting adjustments on my iPhone every time I connect it to the armrest inputs. I will report back. Thx again.
You don't need the Durametric to access the settings in the PCM I'm talking about. You can do it right at the PCM using its buttons.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:56 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I misunderstood. I just did a quick test and when receiving an incoming call it showed up on center tach dial but using the stalk to accept didn't seem to work so I was forced to touch the PCM screen to accept.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:36 AM
David Berry
Racer

You are almost there! I love the hands free on my 2010 C2S cab.
as soon as my iPhone is within Bluetooth range of car, hands free is enabled. It becomes effortless to answer
Old 04-21-2021, 10:39 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Berry
You are almost there! I love the hands free on my 2010 C2S cab.
as soon as my iPhone is within Bluetooth range of car, hands free is enabled. It becomes effortless to answer
Just curious, are you also connecting your iPhone through the universal audio interface or strictly via BT? Wondering if that makes a difference. Thx
Old 04-21-2021, 10:42 AM
David Berry
Racer

Just Bluetooth. My iPod is connected to the armrest ports. I have factory satellite installed. Once you pair Bluetooth with phone, it will pair automatically afterwards. You are gonna love it!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:10 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

That must be the issue then, I'm using both the BT and also connecting the phone via UAI ports. Benefit of the hardwire is ability to hear Waze warnings as well as phone gets recharged, but I might have to go the ipod route for music instead. I also have Sat radio available and subscribed so my music options are good.

Quick Reply: Hands Free Phone Question