Sponsored by:

997.1 C2S right car for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 01:31 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrag
Congratulations, on the bump up in class, way to go. I was there at Pitt Race with my 997 (black w/ yellow headlights) running in D class and was moved up to C for my last session. I actually talked to you at one point, asking you about what tire pressures you were running since we have similar tires. Have another question for you. What is the rear size of your wheels 18x10 or 18x11? Thanks
Hey there! Yes, I was watching you kick butt in that car - very distinctive with the French style yellow lenses. Congrats to you moving up to C

My Carrera 3's are 10's on the rears. These are very good track wheels. I do not use them for daily on the 911, but in fact, swap out the rubber and use them as dailys on my 928. They are a bit too big for the 928 though. I normally run 19's on the 997. I do know my tires are finally shot. They lasted a good 3 seasons, so they owe me nothing (about 2/3 sessions per year). I'll have new tires for the next one, which for me will be October with the Club, unless I do an Auto Interests between now and then.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:36 AM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just spent another weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park and wanted to report out on the oil cooling and pressure issues. Weather was much hotter this weekend than back in March, as daytime highs were in the mid-90s (as opposed to mid-60s in March). That said, the car ran MUCH cooler. Didn't touch 250 oil temp, even during the 30 minute sessions. I added the 3rd radiator, low temp t-stat, 2QT deep sump and XP9 oil between the March and September events. Also took the advice from this thread and didn't run it up to redline much, if at all. I may have seen around 240 degrees towards the end of some sessions, but otherwise was in the 225 degree range most of the time. The bad news is that Hella-Buggin' is absolutely right about the pressure drop in the right hand sweepers. Even with the LNE 2Qt deep sump (which has a windage tray), the pressure was dropping in right hand turns. I'll even see pressure drop on the street, like in a highway cloverleaf, where the pressure will drop to 3 bar or lower. Anything else I can do to avoid this (besides backing off or buying a GT3)?

I didn't upgrade the pads before the weekend, but will do so next time. Stock pads started to fade towards the end of the longer sessions and didn't have the bite I'd prefer. Ferodo DS2500 will be on order soon.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:53 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyfatdog
Just spent another weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park and wanted to report out on the oil cooling and pressure issues. Weather was much hotter this weekend than back in March, as daytime highs were in the mid-90s (as opposed to mid-60s in March). That said, the car ran MUCH cooler. Didn't touch 250 oil temp, even during the 30 minute sessions. I added the 3rd radiator, low temp t-stat, 2QT deep sump and XP9 oil between the March and September events. Also took the advice from this thread and didn't run it up to redline much, if at all. I may have seen around 240 degrees towards the end of some sessions, but otherwise was in the 225 degree range most of the time. The bad news is that Hella-Buggin' is absolutely right about the pressure drop in the right hand sweepers. Even with the LNE 2Qt deep sump (which has a windage tray), the pressure was dropping in right hand turns. I'll even see pressure drop on the street, like in a highway cloverleaf, where the pressure will drop to 3 bar or lower. Anything else I can do to avoid this (besides backing off or buying a GT3)?

I didn't upgrade the pads before the weekend, but will do so next time. Stock pads started to fade towards the end of the longer sessions and didn't have the bite I'd prefer. Ferodo DS2500 will be on order soon.

It's my understanding that the scavenger pumps in the heads are the issue. There is only one pump per side and they are located on the rear of the head on the passenger side and the front of the head on the driver's side. So what happens in a right sweeper is that the oil pools in the back of the driver's side head and can't escape. That paired with the oil in the pan sloshing up the sidewall results in air being sucked. I've read that some people have had some success with installing the X51 Tandem Scavenger pumps which puts pumps on both front and back of both heads. You could also run an Accusump, but that is really just going to giver you an additional amount of oil injected into the system to help bridge a gap in pressure. What worked best for me was knowing the issue and short shifting these corners and just admitting that it's a limitation of the car and that if I wanted to play hard that this was a necessary compromise for limiting the stress on the engine.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:32 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

After I installed the LN sump, i dont see much pressure drop. I've read somewhere that there is an "acceptable" range... I believe it's 3 on the gauge.

Either way, I know CMP has a couple longer corners to the right, but nothing neat as long or fast as NCCAR. And I've done many man laps around there without consequence....

Food for thought.

Cw
Old 09-13-2021, 11:35 AM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

In this 996 thread, Jake Raby says that controlling the temp should be the focus: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...p-996-mk2.html

Would this apply equally to the M97?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:58 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lazyfatdog
In this 996 thread, Jake Raby says that controlling the temp should be the focus: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...p-996-mk2.html

Would this apply equally to the M97?
Yes.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:35 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Here is another current long thread on this topic from 996-land:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...stability.html

The good news is that there might soon be a bespoke deep sump with modified oil pickup that resolves this issues completely...fingers crossed.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:34 PM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadie13
Here is another current long thread on this topic from 996-land:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...stability.html

The good news is that there might soon be a bespoke deep sump with modified oil pickup that resolves this issues completely...fingers crossed.
Just started to dig into that thread and am already very depressed.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:41 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Starting to read through the thread as well. Love this stuff.

BUT we could be losing sight of the forest. Perhaps the resolution of the data is too great and that these quick drops in pressure don't matter? Perhaps this is why the dash gauge is buffered?

BUT we also know that the M97 has many flaws and perhaps these were compromises made to hit a profit margin...

Cw
Old 09-13-2021, 09:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Keeping temps down is important because cooler oil is thicker. Once you get hot enough for the shearing to be a factor it's like water.
I guess I look at it like this. You may be fine this corner and that corner today and tomorrow. But you are increasing wear on parts whenever the pressure drops.
That increased wear comes at a cost. Either you accept that there are design limitations and sacrifice speed, or you carry on pushing knowing that eventually something
will let go and cost money to replace. Or you pre-emptively mitigate the design shortcomings with mods that will extend the life under these conditions or you build an engine that will
stand up to the task.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Keeping temps down is important because cooler oil is thicker. Once you get hot enough for the shearing to be a factor it's like water.
I guess I look at it like this. You may be fine this corner and that corner today and tomorrow. But you are increasing wear on parts whenever the pressure drops.
That increased wear comes at a cost. Either you accept that there are design limitations and sacrifice speed, or you carry on pushing knowing that eventually something
will let go and cost money to replace. Or you pre-emptively mitigate the design shortcomings with mods that will extend the life under these conditions or you build an engine that will
stand up to the task.
all true, of course. As you progress in DE and run hotter, faster and more extreme, then the mods start to make sense. Look at race cars for example - there is a reason why race teams tear down and rebuild motors so frequently, and why it is rare to find a classic hot rod style car (old 911 that ran lots of races, or a Shelby Mustang or Cobra) with the original engine. It can be a use item. I would not worry about it for a couple of DE's a year, and running in the slower groups.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:11 AM
Dk27
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Well there may be a solution to the oil drops. Skip, who created the ultimate AOS, is creating a solution for this oil aeration/pressure drop issue. Check out this thread. Looks promising and it's already in testing https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ds-v2-2-a.html
Old 09-14-2021, 11:41 AM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dk27
Well there may be a solution to the oil drops. Skip, who created the ultimate AOS, is creating a solution for this oil aeration/pressure drop issue. Check out this thread. Looks promising and it's already in testing https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ds-v2-2-a.html
Fingers crossed that the UIDS will be the answer to these issues. Excited to see how Zbomb's eventual testing on the track plays out.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:59 AM
lazyfatdog
Intermediate

Just got back from a great weekend at VIR with PCA Carolina's Region. This was my second time at VIR, but the first time with the 997. Damn I love this car.

Weather was significantly cooler than my other times at the track (didn't get above 55 degrees all weekend), so oil temps were a non-issue. I don't think I hit 225 degrees once. Didn't notice any pressure drops either, but VIR doesn't have the big right hand carousel like CMP has. It was the first HPDE with the new DSC controller, which is awesome and really confidence inspiring. Also used DS2500 pads for the first time. No oil temp concerns, no brake fade issues, it was really nice to not stress about anything mechanical and instead focus on driving, learning the line and meeting new people. Got bumped to blue group at the end of the weekend too, so all around felt it was a really successful weekend. Now I just have to deal with the long winter wait until the next event.
The following 3 users liked this post by lazyfatdog:
linderpat (11-22-2021), mikes70 (11-22-2021), roadie13 (11-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 05:40 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 135 Posts

Good thread read.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2S right car for HPDE?