Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 C2 Clutch Pedal Not Returning: Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2009 997.2 C2 Clutch Pedal Not Returning: Help Needed

I just recently finished a massive amount of winter projects after my clutch started to slip last Nov (2019), prompted a clutch and flywheel swap on my 2009 997.2 C2. I replaced the clutch, flywheel, clutch slave cylinder, throwout bearing, throwout arm, pivot point/clip, RMS, brake lines, brake pads, bleeder valves, and a few other things, since it was up while I did this work over a few weekends. The clutch pedal started to have an odd feeling, like a two stage trigger before I replaced the clutch, but I assumed that was due to the slipping clutch.

It is all not back together, and I was at the final step, bleed the entire system (brake and clutch), I started with the brake system and got it bleed, and double checked it. Then I moved to the clutch; at first the clutch pedal was hard to depress and then slammed to the floor, had to pull it back with my hand and after a few minutes of pumping this I identified a leak at the slave cylinder (the input line was not properly connected. I properly connected that and cleaned up all the fluid and started again after checking the master cylinder reservoir. Now no leaks (checked again this morning and still no puddles under the car), but the clutch pedal still does the same thing and slams to the floor. I tried turning the car on (thankfully it cranked right over), but that made no difference, so off again and tried bleeding it again.

Note this is a 2009 so it does not have a bleeder valve on the slave, it has the return line only.

I am completely stuck, I have been reading here and on 6speed and other places and cant figure out what I am doing wrong or what might be broken.

I made a short video showing the action:

I have checked the master cylinder and there are no leaks there.

After reading a bunch I am down to the following, unless someone has a better idea:
(1) check for any buldge in the clutch pressure line.
(2) Replace the master clutch cylinder.
(3) Remove and/or replace the clutch assist spring (maybe the spring is broken?).

I have not tried driving the car.

Last edited by Skube; 04-11-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:13 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Skube
I just recently finished a massive amount of winter projects after my clutch started to slip last Nov (2019), prompted a clutch and flywheel swap on my 2009 997.2 C2. I replaced the clutch, flywheel, clutch slave cylinder, throwout bearing, throwout arm, pivot point/clip, RMS, brake lines, brake pads, bleeder valves, and a few other things, since it was up while I did this work over a few weekends. The clutch pedal started to have an odd feeling, like a two stage trigger before I replaced the clutch, but I assumed that was due to the slipping clutch.

It is all not back together, and I was at the final step, bleed the entire system (brake and clutch), I started with the brake system and got it bleed, and double checked it. Then I moved to the clutch; at first the clutch pedal was hard to depress and then slammed to the floor, had to pull it back with my hand and after a few minutes of pumping this I identified a leak at the slave cylinder (the input line was not properly connected. I properly connected that and cleaned up all the fluid and started again after checking the master cylinder reservoir. Now no leaks (checked again this morning and still no puddles under the car), but the clutch pedal still does the same thing and slams to the floor. I tried turning the car on (thankfully it cranked right over), but that made no difference, so off again and tried bleeding it again.

Note this is a 2009 so it does not have a bleeder valve on the slave, it has the return line only.

I am completely stuck, I have been reading here and on 6speed and other places and cant figure out what I am doing wrong or what might be broken.

I made a short video showing the action: https://youtu.be/fV9dMKGwNG8

I have checked the master cylinder and there are no leaks there.

After reading a bunch I am down to the following, unless someone has a better idea:
(1) check for any buldge in the clutch pressure line.
(2) Replace the master clutch cylinder.
(3) Remove and/or replace the clutch assist spring (maybe the spring is broken?).

I have not tried driving the car.
On our .2 cars, its not a conventional clutch hydraulic circuit. A special tool is needed to be placed inline on the return circuit and the procedure specifically mentions "guiding the pedal to the floor" by hand.
I read the procedure again and again, and decided an experienced tech is the way to go on this job.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:17 AM
Skube
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 56 Posts

Just used doclouie's technique and was able to get the clutch pedal working properly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html

Now the pedal comes all the way back up on its own, and was able to put a few miles on the car this evening! Now there is a noticeable spring back up at the top, I dont remember that, but I also haven't driven the car in about 7 months, so my memory is vague on this. I have read a bunch of members recommending removal of the helper spring, but that it may cause issues with cruise control.

Last edited by Skube; 04-14-2021 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 C2 Clutch Pedal Not Returning: Help Needed