Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: 997.2 Center muffler delete w/o removing bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021 | 07:29 PM
der99649
Rennlist Member

Default DIY: 997.2 Center muffler delete w/o removing bumper

Recently I swapped back from Sharkwerk x-pipe, which previous owner installed, to OEM center muffler due to some reason.
I apologize in advance that English is not my first language.

Before doing that, I searched DIY information about center muffler removal but couldn’t get what I really wanted. Some says that bumper must be removed, but some says no need to do that but doesn’t fully explain how to do it.

Here is a summary of my center muffler removal DIY process, without removing bumper.
Yes, I admit removing bumper is more straightforward and ideal procedure but I don’t want to touch exterior stuff to avoid any scratch when remove it.

<Tool>
3/8 ratchet
3/8 wobble short extension (or 13mm S-shape wrench)
13mm shallow socket
13mm deep socket
11mm deep socket (Only need for Sharkwerk x-pipe install/remove)
6mm allen socket
13mm standard wrench (Ratchet wrench is better)
2 jacks (If you do it alone)

<Procedure>
0) Prep.
Jack up and tire removal are not really needed. I just used a car ramp (approx. 10 inch height)

1) Remove 3 bolt (13mm) that connect the CATS to center muffler.
Top one is difficult especially for driver side and most predecessor suggested to use S-shape wrench.
But I used short wobble extension instead and it works perfect. (Much easier to loosen bolt than s-shape wrench thanks to ratchet feature)

2) Loosen 2 bolt (13 mm of clamp that connect the side muffler to center muffler.
Straightforward no problem at all.

3) Loosen 2bolts that tighten up center muffler holding metal band.
- OEM muffer = 6mm allen
- Sharkwerk x-pipe
= 11mm hex bolt

4) Loosen 2bolts (13mm) that connect side muffler to car.
Then side muffler become free but actually it does not completely drop from a car since it get caught between bumper and engine.

5) Pull canter muffler out of a car
Now center muffler is technically free however the dropped side-muffler interfere with center-muffler and it makes difficult to pull center-muffler out.
Therefore I used jack to lift side muffler to make a room between center-muffler and side-muffler. I did this job alone thus I needed two jacks to hold both side-mufflers.

Center enter muffler does not easily comes off as it jammed between bumper, side-muffler and catalyst. You will need pull back and forth center-muffler and most likely bend muffler hanger bracket but you can easily fix this bent afterward.
I think this potential damage to muffler hanger bracket is one of a major cons of this shortcut method.
If do not want to bend it at all, you should remove bumper and follow official procedure.

For me it took 1.5 hour and I admit it doesn't necessarily faster than removing bumper method if you don't mind remove bumper LOL.
The following 5 users liked this post by der99649:
997ajk (03-22-2021), BLU997 (03-22-2021), ElectricChair (03-22-2021), Presto (03-22-2021), Tj40 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021 | 07:38 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Not muffler related, but language related. No need to apologize for you language skills. Most people on here are one language only, and at times that is not so good. Keep posting , we like stories.
The following 5 users liked this post by Floyd540:
997ajk (03-22-2021), ABNJOE (03-24-2021), lordvonpineapple (04-13-2021), Presto (03-22-2021), Tj40 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-22-2021 | 12:26 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

if your car has spent any time in a wet or salty area, this will likely be impossible with crusty bolts. Removing the bumper is not too much of a hassle IMO, but otherwise nice write up.
Old 04-12-2021 | 10:18 PM
RiccardoB
Instructor

Very nice description.
May I ask you why you replaced the cross pipe with the OEM center muffler? Have you had issues to pass the smog test?
FYI, 2 weeks ago I have installed the sharkwerks cross pipe and the car sounds epic!

Originally Posted by der99649
Recently I swapped back from Sharkwerk x-pipe, which previous owner installed, to OEM center muffler due to some reason.
I apologize in advance that English is not my first language.

Before doing that, I searched DIY information about center muffler removal but couldn’t get what I really wanted. Some says that bumper must be removed, but some says no need to do that but doesn’t fully explain how to do it.

Here is a summary of my center muffler removal DIY process, without removing bumper.
Yes, I admit removing bumper is more straightforward and ideal procedure but I don’t want to touch exterior stuff to avoid any scratch when remove it.

<Tool>
3/8 ratchet
3/8 wobble short extension (or 13mm S-shape wrench)
13mm shallow socket
13mm deep socket
11mm deep socket (Only need for Sharkwerk x-pipe install/remove)
6mm allen socket
13mm standard wrench (Ratchet wrench is better)
2 jacks (If you do it alone)

<Procedure>
0) Prep.
Jack up and tire removal are not really needed. I just used a car ramp (approx. 10 inch height)

1) Remove 3 bolt (13mm) that connect the CATS to center muffler.
Top one is difficult especially for driver side and most predecessor suggested to use S-shape wrench.
But I used short wobble extension instead and it works perfect. (Much easier to loosen bolt than s-shape wrench thanks to ratchet feature)

2) Loosen 2 bolt (13 mm of clamp that connect the side muffler to center muffler.
Straightforward no problem at all.

3) Loosen 2bolts that tighten up center muffler holding metal band.
- OEM muffer = 6mm allen
- Sharkwerk x-pipe
= 11mm hex bolt

4) Loosen 2bolts (13mm) that connect side muffler to car.
Then side muffler become free but actually it does not completely drop from a car since it get caught between bumper and engine.

5) Pull canter muffler out of a car
Now center muffler is technically free however the dropped side-muffler interfere with center-muffler and it makes difficult to pull center-muffler out.
Therefore I used jack to lift side muffler to make a room between center-muffler and side-muffler. I did this job alone thus I needed two jacks to hold both side-mufflers.

Center enter muffler does not easily comes off as it jammed between bumper, side-muffler and catalyst. You will need pull back and forth center-muffler and most likely bend muffler hanger bracket but you can easily fix this bent afterward.
I think this potential damage to muffler hanger bracket is one of a major cons of this shortcut method.
If do not want to bend it at all, you should remove bumper and follow official procedure.

For me it took 1.5 hour and I admit it doesn't necessarily faster than removing bumper method if you don't mind remove bumper LOL.
Old 04-13-2021 | 12:43 AM
der99649
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RiccardoB
Very nice description.
May I ask you why you replaced the cross pipe with the OEM center muffler? Have you had issues to pass the smog test?
FYI, 2 weeks ago I have installed the sharkwerks cross pipe and the car sounds epic!
Actually we do not have smog test in Ohio and also should not impact to exhuast emission.
However this car will be exported to Japan as I return to Japan and bring it back with me when my business assignment in the USA will finish soon.
X-pipe cannnot pass Japan's certification due to noise regulation.

Quick Reply: DIY: 997.2 Center muffler delete w/o removing bumper