Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder LED rear tail lamps - error code now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 04:01 PM
michaeljdunn
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spyder LED rear tail lamps - error code now?

Greetings, looking for anyone else that may have installed the Spyder LED replacement tail lamps and now get a "check tail lamp" error? Installed them about a month ago and had no error messages for probably 2-3 weeks, now I get "check tail lamp" error in message center. All lights are still functioning properly (parking, brake, reverse, turn, 4-way flasher, and incandescent fog) so the tail lamps are both fully functional. Any thoughts out there on why these "error free" plug & play replacements might be giving me issues now? Thanks,
Old 04-10-2021, 04:22 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

"Error-free" simply means that the lamps have resistors added to their circuit to imitate the load of the standard halogen lamps. It's possible that they're burnt out or malfunctioning. Not sure if there are open leads for you to check the load on the lights.
It is possible to add the resistors yourself if you conclude that they're busted. Many folks have done it already..
Old 04-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Went through 4 sets of those in as many months before throwing them in the trash and buying Depo / Dectane versions years ago. No problems since. They stink.

The car will eventually cut power to those lights after enough errors are logged. The turn signal will flash fast because one isn't flashing anymore and the rear running light will shut down too (probably does every time the error pops up).

Funny thing is on my pickup I have Spyder led lights that have lasted 10 years with no issues. I think the 911 is more sensitive to the resistance than the pickup.

Last edited by Petza914; 04-11-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Spyder LED rear tail lamps - error code now?