Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72k and shocks should be replaced...what has been your experience with aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 06:43 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
So how did the AR-1’s do at Sonoma? I’m thinking the AR-1 may be my next set of track tires.
I love ‘em. They like low pressure…felt best at 30 psi. They get heat in the tires fairly quickly…after half a lap they are good to go. Ran 6 session in 90 degree heat and they didn’t get greasy. Took a couple of sessions to get confident with them since they have stiff sidewalls.

I would say I had more confidence earlier with the Cup2’s, and they felt “grippier” but I think that was all due to the the soft sidewalls. I’ll never buy them Again because they don’t last and they’re too expensive. Times were similar to the Cup2’s, fastest lap was a second quicker with the Ar1’s.

I wouldn’t say they are significantly faster, but a bit faster. Again, I had to build my confidence up with the stiff sidewalls and car being more darty. I generally prefer this in a tire overall.

I really really hope they wear well and to the cords like Nitto NT01’s. I’m having a blast driving on track with them.

Going to Laguna next month and that will be very telling on my tire wear, that track chews up my tires and brakes like no other track.

Definitely look into the Nankang CR-S offering too. If I find the AR1’s heat cycles or worn out after 4 track days I’ll try those. They’re whisper quiet on the street too unlike the AR1’s.

EDIT: I ran 1:56.1 out there. There’s more in the car. Happy to share a vid of the lap if you want.

Last edited by sf_c63; 06-28-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:50 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_c63
I love ‘em. They like low pressure…felt best at 30 psi. They get heat in the tires fairly quickly…after half a lap they are good to go. Ran 6 session in 90 degree heat and they didn’t get greasy. Took a couple of sessions to get confident with them since they have stiff sidewalls.

I would say I had more confidence earlier with the Cup2’s, and they felt “grippier” but I think that was all due to the the soft sidewalls. I’ll never buy them Again because they don’t last and they’re too expensive. Times were similar to the Cup2’s, fastest lap was a second quicker with the Ar1’s.

I wouldn’t say they are significantly faster, but a bit faster. Again, I had to build my confidence up with the stiff sidewalls and car being more darty. I generally prefer this in a tire overall.

I really really hope they wear well and to the cords like Nitto NT01’s. I’m having a blast driving on track with them.

Going to Laguna next month and that will be very telling on my tire wear, that track chews up my tires and brakes like no other track.

Definitely look into the Nankang CR-S offering too. If I find the AR1’s heat cycles or worn out after 4 track days I’ll try those. They’re whisper quiet on the street too unlike the AR1’s.

EDIT: I ran 1:56.1 out there. There’s more in the car. Happy to share a vid of the lap if you want.
thanks for the review. How is braking grip compared to Cup2’s?

I’m in the same boat as you regarded the cup2’s. The old 180 treadwear Cup2 seem to heat cycle out after 5 track days, take 3 laps to get up to temp/pressure, so-so braking grip, and get greasy after lap 6 or 7. They are a good for a trackable street tire, but I think I want to graduate to a streetable track tire that can take some punishment and wear like an NT01

I hear the CR-S is more of a auto x tire like the “cheater” 200UTQG tires (RE-71S, 052, etc) which people say stick like glue for the first few laps, then get greasy real quick. If you switch to the CR-S, please post up a review

I’m running 245f/325r 19” sizes so I’m super limited in tire choices. (No CR-S in a 325 rear. No NT01 in 245 front) 😡

Did you do the “break-in heat cycle” Nanking recommends on the AR-1? They really seem to stress this for longevity, more than any other manufacturer I’ve seen.

AR-1 seem like the logical choice over the Cup2’s for me. I want something that will heat up quicker, last 8-9 laps before getting greasy, and hopefully cord before they heat cycle out and become ice skates. Hopefully I can handle the road noise 😖

Last edited by swoardrider; 06-28-2022 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:56 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
thanks for the review. How is braking grip compared to Cup2’s?

I’m in the same boat as you regarded the cup2’s. The old 180 treadwear Cup2 seem to heat cycle out after 5 track days, take 3 laps to get up to temp/pressure, so-so braking grip, and get greasy after lap 6 or 7. They are a good for a trackable street tire, but I think I want to graduate to a streetable track tire that can take some punishment and wear like an NT01

I hear the CR-S is more of a auto x tire like the “cheater” 200UTQG tires (RE-71S, 052, etc) which people say stick like glue for the first few laps, then get greasy real quick. If you switch to the CR-S, please post up a review

I’m running 245f/325r 19” sizes so I’m super limited in tire choices. (No CR-S in a 325 rear. No NT01 in 245 front) 😡

Did you do the “break-in heat cycle” Nanking recommends on the AR-1? They really seem to stress this for longevity, more than any other manufacturer I’ve seen.

AR-1 seem like the logical choice over the Cup2’s for me. I want something that will heat up quicker, last 8-9 laps before getting greasy, and hopefully cord before they heat cycle out and become ice skates. Hopefully I can handle the road noise 😖
Braking is comparable. Subjectively I felt I could brake later with the Cup2’s…I never felt ABS with those tires but I did feel ABS yesterday with the AR1’s. I’m running Ferodo DS2500 pads and might switch to 3.12’s.

im running 245/305 19”….I had 255 with the Cup2’s and loved the additional front end grip on turn in but it was rubbing.

I didn’t do the break in recommendations. I tried to go out for a really spirited canyon drive but I really doubt I got a heat cycle in.

Give me a month or two to get some more hpde’s in and I’ll report back on tire wear!
Old 06-28-2022, 11:17 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sf_c63
Braking is comparable. Subjectively I felt I could brake later with the Cup2’s…I never felt ABS with those tires but I did feel ABS yesterday with the AR1’s. I’m running Ferodo DS2500 pads and might switch to 3.12’s.
Hmm interesting. I was hoping the AR-1’s would brake better due to the extra rubber contact patch.

All my previous track days have been on the OEM 4 piston 330mm brakes with DS2500. I was never impressed with anything that brake combo would do on the street or track, but I could get it to lock up at the end of the brake zone with enough pedal force.but more pedal force never translated into shorter stopping distance.
My last track day was on my new AP Racing BBK with the 3.12. This new set up is way overkill with my car’s current set up. Hence the need for more tire grip. Cold bite is actually pretty awesome on the 3.12’s for panic stopping once I got things bedded in. Much better than the 2500’s, which were borderline “dangerous” on the street if one needed to slam on cold brakes.

I was just thinking the other day that OEM Calipers, upgraded 350mm 2 piece discs, and the 3.12’s would be a perfect brake set up for a 997 car with a street oriented tire like a Cup2. The 3.12 has insane initial bite, is totally linear throughout the braking zone, and has zero fade. Much more confidence inspiring than the 2500’s.
Only thing I felt the 2500’s were ok at, is that they never heat faded. And they lasted awhile. They didn’t fall apart, but they didn’t stop worth a **** either.

Quick Reply: 72k and shocks should be replaced...what has been your experience with aftermarket?