Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS - Time for Brakes Girodisc/pagid or BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 10:03 PM
CB-Kman
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTS - Time for Brakes Girodisc/pagid or BBK?

Hello Everyone, I'm slowly getting my car ready for spring and hopefully a healthy amount of track days this summer. I installed Sport Cup 2's (245/35/19 & 315/30/19) last week and now I am looking to upgrade my brakes as the front and rear OEM rotors/pads/fluid/lines need attention.

My initial plan was Girodisc rotors, Pagid yellow's, Motul fluid and stainless lines ... I was happy with this setup in my old 987 Cayman S although, is was significantly lighter with much less power then the GTS.

I am interested in hearing any feedback on BBK's for the GTS ... the Brembo GT-S 380mm and Stoptech Trophy Sport 380mm seem like the best options for a dual purpose car like mine. If I select to go with the BBK option I would update the rear pads, rotors and lines as well.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by CB-Kman; 03-28-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:03 AM
msequence
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche factory brakes on the S/GTS are excellent. I can't see you needing more caliper there. Even with the cup 2s if you're bhsve a great pad and fluid setup with rotors that can take the abuse from the added grip.

I think the girodisc rotors are a great upgrade and help you shed some weight where it counts.

As for fluid Motul is likely fine but it's not much of a jump to just do Castrol SRF and call it a day. Plus that fluid can last a full season depending on how many days you do and not absorb much water while performing day in and day out. Dump and flush at the end of the season lots of guys do that up here.

Regarding lines the jury is out on that as I understand it. I've even seen someone (Bruce in Philly I believe) cut the factory lines apart and they looked to be weaved/braided inside this not sure you gain much feel switching them out.

On pads Pagid are great. Match the pad to expected duty cycle and you are golden. Rock solid. I've also had luck with GLoc though I haven't run their pad compounds on a 997 yet just my Subaru and previous Golf R.

Keep it shiny side up!

Can't wait to hit the track again this year!

Last edited by msequence; 03-29-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:26 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on just Girodisc rotors. This is the route I went with my GTS and they're great. Yea, you use spacers and there's some unused area on the inner part of the rotor but it's still plenty of stopping power and more material to soak up some heat. Haven't had any fading issues (using Motul rbf 660 fluid) and they last much longer than the garbage OEM slotted rotors which develop cracks after just one track day (after ~3 hard track days they're done - cracks connecting between holes). Just make sure you flush brake fluid regularly and you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:03 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

Also, if buying rotors you can go 350mm all around with just spacers...

if that isn’t enough for you on track between the larger rotors, pads, fluid etc.... later you can upgrade to 997 turbo 6 pot or 996 cup calipers and use the same 350mm rotors...

just my $.02 but the GTS has decent brakes factory that 90% of users will never need more even on track...
Old 03-30-2021, 11:34 AM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

I have had Girosdics+pagid yellow for several years on my 2011 GTS and 2008 C2S. Incredible difference on the track. This weekend I decided to go with Hawk pads as my Pagid were too thin. After one session of utter disappointment, I paid a track team for a set of Pagid and installation. Back to bliss... On a side not was lining up a track coach that was testing cars for upcoming Ferrari race. I happened to check the cars out and two of them were running Girodiscs. I am on my second set of rotors. Swapping out the rings is pretty simple. Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
msequence (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:04 PM
msequence
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rickster997
I have had Girosdics+pagid yellow for several years on my 2011 GTS and 2008 C2S. Incredible difference on the track. This weekend I decided to go with Hawk pads as my Pagid were too thin. After one session of utter disappointment, I paid a track team for a set of Pagid and installation. Back to bliss... On a side not was lining up a track coach that was testing cars for upcoming Ferrari race. I happened to check the cars out and two of them were running Girodiscs. I am on my second set of rotors. Swapping out the rings is pretty simple. Good Luck.
That's great to hear! I need to pick pads that are track capable for our C4S and haven't gotten to researching it yet. I'm curious. Do you run the yellows on the street or are you swapping them in for track days?
Old 03-30-2021, 12:13 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by msequence
That's great to hear! I need to pick pads that are track capable for our C4S and haven't gotten to researching it yet. I'm curious. Do you run the yellows on the street or are you swapping them in for track days?
I do, because if you bed them right, you will sound like a school bus. I have been doing it for so long, I can do it pretty quick using QuickJack.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:20 PM
msequence
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rickster997
I do, because if you bed them right, you will sound like a school bus. I have been doing it for so long, I can do it pretty quick using QuickJack.
Ahh ok cool, thank you. Figured! No problem there, that's what I'm doing now with my current track focused car anyhow. (2001 Subaru 2.5RS Coupe)

Quick Reply: GTS - Time for Brakes Girodisc/pagid or BBK?