Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the huge $$ difference in alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 11:33 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Why the huge $$ difference in alternator?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ELCHRG_pg1.htm

I have a hard time understand genuine part is 4 times the price of an OEM part..

What's the fundamental difference besides the brands? Would genuine alternator just work better and last longer??

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:00 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Typical Porsche tax, although an extreme example. They might even be the identical part. I know which one I’d buy.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:08 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,103 Posts

One has a Porsche logo. One doesn't. Bosch is known an OEM (original equipment manufacturer). They produce the part for Porsche. The one that says Porsche Genuine Parts is still going to say Bosch on it. But just with a Porsche logo also on it. My friends have purchased parts that have been OEM, but with the BMW logo actually ground off.

Here's a good example.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Also I should note that some individuals, for example Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations has made mention that he will only install genuine Porsche coolant expansion tanks, or genuine water pumps (I believe). Apparently he's mentioned they have a higher quality on them. I cannot confirm or deny that. But my car has largely received OEM parts over the years when I'm replacing things. However, I am trusting him and only using a genuine coolant expansion tank on my 997 when I replace it.

But my coils, plugs, water pump, thermostat, fuel filter are all OEM parts when I replaced last year.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:23 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

That Bosch alternator is available at Rockauto.com for $200 less than Pelican. Call that the Pelican tax...
The following users liked this post:
Presto (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 11:52 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

If you can get it off and afford the down time check locally for an alternator rebuild shop. The bearings and diodes are normally the failure points in an alternator. You can also buy rebuilt Bosch alternators and rebuild kits.
8x57IRS (03-30-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 02:24 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 688 Likes on 428 Posts

In the Bay Area, a proper rebuild of an alternator for a Porsche is north of $200. And you have to drive 1 hour twice to drop it and pick it up. Just buy the Bosch one and be done.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 170K miles

In short, I would buy the Bosch... but I would also look around for a place selling that Bosch unit cheaper.

What I have found regarding "OEM" without the Porsche label is that many times, you are getting the exact same unit. Not a unit like the Porsche but the exact same unit. But not always so you have to be careful. If you are in doubt, and the part is what you feel is a critical part, then buy Porsche. When the supplier is someone like Bosch, I would feel confident you are getting the same unit. Why? I dunno, just my thoughts.

For example... I have no issue buying control arms that are TRW, or Lemforder or whatever. No issues in my opinion. But I have found differences in "OEM" that I felt are important. For the 997.2 the water pumps noted at OEM are not exactly the same. The Porsche part has an odd "composite" impeller and other pumps claiming to be OEM (by other posters on various forums) have metal impellers. To be fair, the websites denoted a metal impeller. I suspect they are made by the same maker therefore OEM.... but are not the same part. I went with a Porsche part for this one.

In short, as you are doing, do your homework.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-28-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Floyd540 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 272 Posts

Bosch makes electrical parts. Porsche does not make electrical parts. Porsche buys electrical parts. It is that simple. Having said that there are instances that Porsche may have some special requirement for a component that is truly unique. That may require special tooling or configuration. If Porsche pays for the tooling then they have control of the product. Water pumps are somewhat different in that they require specific costly tooling for each engine application. In this case Porsche has control over the exact specifications for their version . Alternators starters switches, many sensors etc are almost shelf items from Bosch and therefore available from them without the Porsche part number. As Bruce stated, Lemforder, Trw are other examples. Shop around and find the best price on the Bosch part. Also check closely to see if it is "remanufactured". These are also good as all the wearable parts are replaced. This is different than "rebuilt". Stick with Bosch in any case.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:17 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default OEM is not OEM

Originally Posted by ciphercong
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ELCHRG_pg1.htm

I have a hard time understand genuine part is 4 times the price of an OEM part..

What's the fundamental difference besides the brands? Would genuine alternator just work better and last longer??

Thanks!
I believe, as misleading as it is, that OEM is the name of a Chinese parts distributor. On Pelican it doesn't mean original equipment manufacturer. Anyone know if this is correct? We've had this discussion before.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:46 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 272 Posts

I don't think so. For starters the phrase "OEM supplier"" is used in the Pelican site as the describer for the listed manufacturer- Bosch as noted. They are using it correctly as "Original Equipment Manufacturer". If the Bosch name was nowhere on the listing and the manufacturer's name was listed as "OEM" , then you might have as case. OEM is a description, not a name. Pelican and the other top shelf vendors would not try to trick you, they already know how to extract money from us.
Now if you wanted to start a company owned by Ollie, Elmer and Manny and they sell alternators , you could put a sign in your front yard that says "OEM Alternators for sale.
Bosch is the OEM for Porsche and almost every other car company.
914-6 's are cool. I remember when they were new. People thought they were funny until they autocrossed against them. They beat everything.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:46 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

OEM does not mean it is built to the same specifications as a Porsche brand part. Hence the example above about the Porsche water pump having a composite impeller. OEM just means that company is an Original Equipment Manufacturer and it makes a part for the Porsche brand, not that it is the exact same. Basically it does not mean it is the same, but it might be exactly the same too. Some things I am happy to pay the Porsche tax on and other things not so much.
Floyd540 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:57 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
I believe, as misleading as it is, that OEM is the name of a Chinese parts distributor. On Pelican it doesn't mean original equipment manufacturer. Anyone know if this is correct? We've had this discussion before.
Directly off Pelican:
What does OEM mean?
While browsing our catalog, you will notice some items are marked with a German flag and an "OEM Supplier" tag. This allows you to quickly identify which brand is or was the Original Equipment Manufacturer at the time of the vehicle's assembly, or for a car manufacturer's spare parts supply.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:37 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

When I needed a new Bilstein B4 Damptronic shock for my 997 I had difficulty finding any dealer that had stock. I was told it could take weeks after placing the order. Out of curiosity I contacted a US Bilstein rep. to see why there was a delay.
He put me in touch with a dealer outside of the Porsche network. I paid 60% less for the exact same part. It had the exact same stamping and factory logo. Maybe they were a middleman with a license to retail, I dunno, but it make me check on any high ticket part after that.

Last edited by BF951; 03-30-2021 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2021, 07:09 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

There was a class action lawsuit against Mercedes in the 1970s, over their practice of blocking their suppliers from selling replacement parts in the aftermarket. With competition, the dealer parts prices went from ridiculous to just overpriced.

I have been through some real heartache buying non-OEM: a new speedometer cable for my 911T made the needle wobble. I had removed carpeting and grommets, and snaked the part from the speedometer through the front and rear bulkheads to the transmission under the car. I had to do it all over again with the genuine VDO part that was only a few dollars more. I stupidly put a low-cost made in Hungry alternator in a 300E I owned. It worked fine for several years, but the failure mode was in the voltage regulator. The output went to 40 volts. Burning out most of the instrument lights was an early symptom. Boiling the battery was another. I have replaced over a dozen Bosch alternators, and they die a peaceful death - no output.

It is worth checking around: I once was in line at an auto parts house. A gentleman laid an AC compressor on counter, and asked if they had one. They had the exact unit and the price was $80. He said it was for his 928, and the Porsche dealer had just quoted over $1200 for the part.

Takeaway: - the brand name part is justified for fluids, hoses, belts and most mechanical parts. AC compressors and alternators are typically the identical part as long as the brand is the same.
Floyd540 (03-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Why the huge $$ difference in alternator?