Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup camera install 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 12:20 AM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this thread is old but what colour is the positive (+) wide to the reverse light in the 997.1 taillight plug? The brown is the negative (-) but I’m not sure which wire to tap for +. Thanks
Old 04-27-2024, 10:44 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 539 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Scb1712
I know this thread is old but what colour is the positive (+) wide to the reverse light in the 997.1 taillight plug? The brown is the negative (-) but I’m not sure which wire to tap for +. Thanks
black + blue
Old 04-28-2024, 11:14 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I installed a back up camera today as part of my Mr 12 Volt carplay purchase installation on my 997.2

I removed the bumper and mounted the camera above the license plate between the clear lights and routed the cable through one of the factory holes and over to the right tail light location. I routed the wiring up from the rear panel and routed the wiring up through one of the holes under/behind the tail light assembly. I had an assortment of grommets and found two that fit the factory holes. I then followed advice of the youtube video shown from the original poster of this thread and used a long cable installation drill bit to drill through the opening of the grommet for the passenger tail light into the grommet on the far right side of the engine compartment which leads into the rear of the passenger compartment. The video makes it appear getting wiring through this area is fairly easing by using a very long zip tie. I had no such zip tie but tried an electricians tape and also stiff wire. Feeding the cable through was a two person job - using my wife's small hands and skinny arms she was able to reach down into the recess and grab the stiff metal wire I had fed through from the tail light area. There is some insulation padding - likely for sound - that is in that recess area and the fishing wire I was using came out behind that which complicated things even more.

And thanks to the post above that the reverse wire (positive) is the black/blue - I was able to tap into that wire as well as the brown for the ground.

Quick Reply: Backup camera install 997.1