Sponsored by:

Numeric shifter/cable questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 05:27 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elvn
i think any shop can do it that has worked w p-cars, the hard parts were routing the cables through the factory bushing, the rest goes smoothly as log as you line up the cables from the start (front has to be 1L&1R and the rear 2L&2R) the cables adjust similar to stock cables so someone who knows how to do it should be able to handle it

my issue was purely a miss labeled/bundle cable set which cost my indy a lot of wasted time but once we figured that out and spoke to numeric over the phone the 3rd install went easy.
Is there any way to tell out of the box whether everything is labeled correctly? I'd love to do this before I show up at the shop and discover the hard way.
The following users liked this post:
larrygk (03-31-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:33 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Is there any way to tell out of the box whether everything is labeled correctly? I'd love to do this before I show up at the shop and discover the hard way.
they are labeled that way from numeric, but numeric ties them together and they happen to have unfortunately tied them as 1L&2R /2L&1R so naturally my Indy didn’t notice until it was fully installed that the cables were wrong and we could only get even gears at first, than after reversing the cables (still mismatched) only got odd gears... that’s when we realized something was very wrong and called numeric who sheepishly realized the mistake.

round 3 worked flawlessly... and I love the shifter
Old 03-23-2021, 05:38 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

You're not the only one to get the wrong cables from Numeric, I've seen a few people post that story over the years. I have to admit after my first install wasn't quite right I was worried they sent me the wrong cables since I didn't think to check before they went into the car.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:40 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
You're not the only one to get the wrong cables from Numeric, I've seen a few people post that story over the years. I have to admit after my first install wasn't quite right I was worried they sent me the wrong cables since I didn't think to check before they went into the car.
yeah I heard and was really concerned and I still missed the labeling! Felt terrible for my Indy who had to deal w the extra hours of labor.

but I think it’s pretty clear when it all works vs something wrong so if your car is shifting well and much better than stock you’re probably good
The following users liked this post:
PowderJunkie (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 06:40 PM
Wes_997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the input, I will try to adjust the cable on the shifter end so that the shifter is no longer at an angle and no longer contacts the assembly when shifting. I don't really want to deal with the indy shop so I'll attempt to do it myself. Will hopefully get around to it this weekend and update. For others experiencing problems, feel free to continue talking it out on this thread. Thanks all, fingers crossed that this fixes it!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:25 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Numeric's website has guides and videos with great instructions on how to adjust properly. They're also great folks so call them if you have any questions.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:03 AM
Wes_997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed numeric two days ago but haven't gotten a response yet. I will try to call tomorrow but in the meantime: I was able to take apart the interior tonight and adjusted the cables on the shifter side so that the shifter is sitting centered and upright, however now I am finding that it is nearly impossible to get into reverse and 2,4,6 still require quite a bit more force to shift out of than 1,3,5. It seems that by adjusting the cable (lengthening) on the shifter side, I lost some slack which made shifting into reverse much more difficult. I am assuming that I will be needing to adjust the cables on the transmission side. Question on this: what is the best way to disconnect the connectors from the ball joint? Would tugging the cable to get it to pop off the joint damage anything or should I instead try to pry it off? And when adjusting the transmission side, do I need to have the shifter side disconnected or can can I leave the shifter side all buttoned up? Sorry for all the questions, Numeric's instructions are great for install but don't really cover the do's and dont's of partially disassembling the cables to adjust.

Last edited by Wes_997; 03-25-2021 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:27 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

They say those 1/2 sphere inserts are one time use. I used some needle nose or something similar and just whacked them. I was getting vibrations/ rattling that wouldn’t go away till i pit the center console back in. Thought it was the shifter bit the console back on made it disappear

you shouldn’t have to remove anything on tnr shifter side if your just making adjustments unless you remove the whole thing.

Sometimes they’re hard to get in touch with. They’re not a huge operation but when you do they’ll help out. FaceTime etc to try to fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Numeric shifter/cable questions