Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to sell

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021 | 07:10 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Default Where to sell

I have a 997.1, specifically a 2008 C4S Cab MT that I plan to sell between now and summer. Originally I had planned on going through CarGurus.com / Autotrader.com. But I know there is also pcarmarket.com and BAT (though I really had ruled BAT out).

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to going through the major online markets vs. pcarmarket/BAT/Rennlist Marketplace?
Old 03-22-2021 | 07:47 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

From everything I see the best prices received for 4s models across the different generations is consistently on BaT. Spend some extra $, get professional photos taken, reveal as much documentation as you have, set a realistic reserve and hope for a bidding war. Prices recently have taken a step up, good time to sell IMO. Best of Luck.
Old 03-22-2021 | 08:01 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optionman1
From everything I see the best prices received for 4s models across the different generations is consistently on BaT. Spend some extra $, get professional photos taken, reveal as much documentation as you have, set a realistic reserve and hope for a bidding war. Prices recently have taken a step up, good time to sell IMO. Best of Luck.
Thanks. Interesting. From what I have heard/read, BAT has a lot of commenters who are not serious buyers and the unrealistic nitpicking on a 10+ year old use vehicle can get crazy, even when it is in great condition. But I don't know how that typically affects prices.
Old 03-22-2021 | 08:20 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Yes the peanut gallery on BaT can be annoying. Be prepared to answer all the typical IMSB questions, etc. Sellers who respond to questions and have good documentation seem to get rewarded for putting up with back seat buyers. Real buyers show up for quality, well presented and documented vehicles.
Old 03-22-2021 | 10:31 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

X2 on what @Optionman1 said.

Have BAT put the IMS info in the description (larger non-serviceable bearing), provide the DME over-rev readout, and be engaged in the comments.

Last edited by southbay; 03-22-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2021 | 11:56 PM
99SevenFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by southbay
X2 on what @Optionman1 said.

Have BAT put the IMS info in the description (larger non-serviceable bearing), provide the DME over-rev readout, and be engaged in the comments.
And add paint meter photos. They seem to love that on BaT with 911s. Also, I’d avoid the new weekend closings until they get a bit more traffic and try to close on Friday.
Old 03-23-2021 | 03:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I have a 997.1, specifically a 2008 C4S Cab MT that I plan to sell between now and summer. Originally I had planned on going through CarGurus.com / Autotrader.com. But I know there is also pcarmarket.com and BAT (though I really had ruled BAT out).

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to going through the major online markets vs. pcarmarket/BAT/Rennlist Marketplace?
Just one man's opinion for what it's worth. Had my GTS on the market about a year or so ago and had it on Autotrader, Cars.com and the RL marketplace. My experience was that Autotrader produced the most responses by far followed by Cars.com and the Rennlist Marketplace a distant third. I think the poor response from the Rennlist listing may have been due to the fact that my car is a PDK as opposed to a manual so you may have better luck with a manual. To a lot of Rennlisters a 997 PDK is basically a big mistake by Porsche that should never have been built.

One big thing that stood out among those who did express interest was whether or not I had the stock wheels and the stock seats which I don't have. Never mind that the cost of the OEM GT2 carbon fiber buckets and the Forgeline wheels combined approach $20,000. Had to be bone stock so if you have any mods and have the stock parts, hang on to them.

I actually started the BAT process while at the same time started to think about keeping the car. I decided to keep the car so I didn't complete the BAT process but just getting it started I got the impression that you almost had to take half a day off from work to get it done. I think they asked for a minimum of 50 pictures including pictures taken with the car on a lift. Their auctions seem to bring good money for cars in excellent condition though so if you have the time and inclination it may be worth the hassle.
Old 03-23-2021 | 04:33 AM
rockrat
8th Gear

What do you have & how much are you asking? I may be able to save you the trouble depending on the spec...
r0ckr4t@gmail.com
Old 03-23-2021 | 10:03 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just one man's opinion for what it's worth. Had my GTS on the market about a year or so ago and had it on Autotrader, Cars.com and the RL marketplace. My experience was that Autotrader produced the most responses by far followed by Cars.com and the Rennlist Marketplace a distant third. I think the poor response from the Rennlist listing may have been due to the fact that my car is a PDK as opposed to a manual so you may have better luck with a manual. To a lot of Rennlisters a 997 PDK is basically a big mistake by Porsche that should never have been built.

One big thing that stood out among those who did express interest was whether or not I had the stock wheels and the stock seats which I don't have. Never mind that the cost of the OEM GT2 carbon fiber buckets and the Forgeline wheels combined approach $20,000. Had to be bone stock so if you have any mods and have the stock parts, hang on to them.

I actually started the BAT process while at the same time started to think about keeping the car. I decided to keep the car so I didn't complete the BAT process but just getting it started I got the impression that you almost had to take half a day off from work to get it done. I think they asked for a minimum of 50 pictures including pictures taken with the car on a lift. Their auctions seem to bring good money for cars in excellent condition though so if you have the time and inclination it may be worth the hassle.
Appreciate it. Given the inventory I don’t think it should be too hard to sell. I do have some mods, easy ones, as I’ve upgraded the front daytime running lights, the rear lights, and the side markers, but have all the OEM, as well as the OEM radio unit though I have a CarPlay unit in there now. And OEM 19” Turbo wheels along with 18” winter wheels and tires. But as I am not the original owner, full service records are not available though the Carfax shows the services and I have what I have done. So I’m inclined to not go through the BAT hassle. Stick with Cars/Autotrader/CarGurus.
Old 03-23-2021 | 12:02 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

If you are not a PCA member, maybe you should join....(not expensive), then you can advertise the car for sale there where most buyers would know the car they are looking for....also, there are Want to Buy Ads there also.....

Quick Reply: Where to sell