Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this and where can I find it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:59 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this and where can I find it?

I have a 2006 997 and was doing an oil change when I noticed a disk and spring at the bottom of the filter housing (see pictures) I noticed the plastic disk is cracked and was able to retrieve all of the pieces. If I understand it correctly I think the purpose the spring is to keep pushing the filter so it stays snug with the engine. I have looked around on the web but can not find what the part number is or where to get one. Does any one know whether: 1) it’s necessary to reinstall this part and 2) what’s the part number and where I can find one ? Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2021, 09:02 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Wait...that’s inside the filter housing canister? If so, why not just buy a new filter housing?
Old 03-20-2021, 09:08 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Wait...that’s inside the filter housing canister? If so, why not just buy a new filter housing?
does the new filter housing come with this? If not then is this part really necessary? What are the chances that if there’s no spring pushing the filter against the engine that the filter will dislodge and just sit inside the housing and not be filtering
Old 03-20-2021, 10:24 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Gurbinder
does the new filter housing come with this? If not then is this part really necessary? What are the chances that if there’s no spring pushing the filter against the engine that the filter will dislodge and just sit inside the housing and not be filtering
I have an extra filter housing, and took a picture of the inside of it. It looks like what you are showing is the plastic part at the bottom of my pic here and below it I guess is the spring? I’d just buy a new filter housing and be done with it. Why take any risk?

The following 2 users liked this post by Carreralicious:
CAVU (03-20-2021), JAAM (02-27-2022)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:34 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
I have an extra filter housing, and took a picture of the inside of it. It looks like what you are showing is the plastic part at the bottom of my pic here and below it I guess is the spring? I’d just buy a new filter housing and be done with it. Why take any risk?

yes that does look like it. I will order a new assembly. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (03-20-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

That's the bypass valve. It's purpose is to allow oil to bypass the filter if for some reason the flow through the filter gets compromised so it doesn't starve the engine of oil. The problem with that design is the spribg weakens over time and allows some oil to bypass the filter all the time, which isn't good for the engine. Rather than replacing that flawed design, get the LN Engineering spin on oil filter adapter and use a metal canister filter. Not only will the filter housing be more durable if you hit some road debris, like a tire gator, but you'll get a new bypass spring every oil change.

Filter # that fits the LN is a K&N HP- 1007, Mobil 1 M1-107, or comparable. I prefer the K&N as it has a thicker gauge canister, an easy to use 1" nut on the bottom, and more filtering media inside.
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

I replace my oil filter canister every couple years just because of this spring and part. $30.

Quick Reply: What is this and where can I find it?