Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty, Grundy, or other, which AV policy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 07:10 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

You have to go with your comfort level. If that is what it says on the company web site, and more importantly in the written and binding policy declarations pages, then that is what you should expect. Any verbal interpretation from a salesman carries no weight when it matters, good or bad. Also, as I stated before, for me I view it as catastrophe insurance. In the event of a theft or total loss. I am comfortable with how I use my car; I cant say how you use yours, but you seemed to describe a pleasure trip, which matches what you saw on the company website, right? I'm sure there are insurance people on this forum who will have even greater detail.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:34 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
You have to go with your comfort level. If that is what it says on the company web site, and more importantly in the written and binding policy declarations pages, then that is what you should expect. Any verbal interpretation from a salesman carries no weight when it matters, good or bad. Also, as I stated before, for me I view it as catastrophe insurance. In the event of a theft or total loss. I am comfortable with how I use my car; I cant say how you use yours, but you seemed to describe a pleasure trip, which matches what you saw on the company website, right? I'm sure there are insurance people on this forum who will have even greater detail.
Agreed, but I would need to see the declarations. I'm not sure where to get those except from Grundy themselves. I emailed them looking for clarification. We'll see if I get anything back. What do your declaration pages say? Should be the same.

Also, feel good advertisements on their web page doesn't substitute for the binding policy like you mention even if it directly contradicts what I was told verbally.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 03-17-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:50 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Agreed, but I would need to see the declarations. I'm not sure where to get those except from Grundy themselves. I emailed them looking for clarification. We'll see if I get anything back. What do your declaration pages say? Should be the same.

Also, feel good advertisements on their web page doesn't substitute for the binding policy like you mention even if it directly contradicts what I was told verbally.
I went through the same questions but after checking other policies, they are all basically the same, this is a classic car policy mainly for pleasure and club car show events. If you need it for errands or driving around town, I believe leland has an endorsement that lets you do that. In my Grundy policy, the endorsement that addresses this issue is:

It is agreed and understood that the following definition is added to the policy:
“Collector vehicle” means a private passenger auto or motorcycle that:
1. Is maintained solely for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities, or other functions of public
interest.
2. Is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands, shopping, general transportation,
secondary or back-up transportation, business or commercial purposes, except for limited
pleasure use.

The policy always take precedence over what anyone says verbally. I would ask for a different underwriter or someone in management if you need further clarification.

Bob
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:18 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I surprised no one mentioned Porsche Auto Insurance. I chose them for FMV coverage on my GTS over Hagerty and Grundy. It's all mileage based and I pay peanuts. The coverage is the best I've seen by a mile.
https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/
Edit: I just realized that Porsche Auto Insurance is only available in Oregon, Georgia and Illinois. IL gets a rare nod its way on this one.

Last edited by nwGTS; 03-19-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
They are prohibited. If you have an accident in a store parking lot, or a school for example, they can deny your claim. Has to be driven "for pleasure", which for me, is every time I start the engine!
So what if you go on a Sunday pleasure trip and decide to stop somewhere for something to drink, some ice cream or whatever and someone hits you while parked or you screw up and back into something. They can deny coverage? What's a pleasure trip if you can't stop anywhere for food and drinks without risking denial of coverage?

To each their own but my current full coverage with Hartford is already inexpensive enough without all these ludicrous restrictions where I would never consider a policy like the ones mentioned here. I'm covered for everything no matter the reason I took to the road or if I was parked in a hotel parking lot and a hail storm destroyed my car. I must be missing something here unless the Grundy and Hagerty policies are next to free.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:12 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

To each their own but my current full coverage with Hartford is already inexpensive enough without all these ludicrous restrictions where I would never consider a policy like the ones mentioned here. I'm covered for everything no matter the reason I took to the road or if I was parked in a hotel parking lot and a hail storm destroyed my car. I must be missing something here unless the Grundy and Hagerty policies are next to free.
Unless your Hartford policy is agreed value, you will get what they say you get if there is a loss. The allure of Grundy/Hagarty/American Modern/etc is not just somewhat lower cost, but also piece of mind should there be a loss.
Robocop305 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:22 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Schulr
I went through the same questions but after checking other policies, they are all basically the same, this is a classic car policy mainly for pleasure and club car show events. If you need it for errands or driving around town, I believe leland has an endorsement that lets you do that. In my Grundy policy, the endorsement that addresses this issue is:

It is agreed and understood that the following definition is added to the policy:
“Collector vehicle” means a private passenger auto or motorcycle that:
1. Is maintained solely for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities, or other functions of public
interest.
2. Is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands, shopping, general transportation,
secondary or back-up transportation, business or commercial purposes, except for limited
pleasure use

The policy always take precedence over what anyone says verbally. I would ask for a different underwriter or someone in management if you need further clarification.

Bob
They are all basically the same but endorsement number 1 is the problem:

"1. Is maintained solely for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities, or other functions of public
interest."

This to me is the problem. Solely is the weasel word. That means driving to the local car show, parade or PCA event. Number to says " Not to be used for work........except for limited pleasure use"
What does that mean? Who determines that? I put 3k miles on mine last year but about 25k miles on my company vehicle. 3,000 miles to me is limited. I'm going to put about 1500 miles on it next month on a trip to Tennessee and North Carolina. That's still limited but frowned upon and possibly not covered by Grundy. And here's the catch, it's NOT less expensive! It's more expensive. I was quoted between $13-1500/yr for $95k Agreed Value coverage. I was paying $379/yr for Hartford full coverage with only $59/yr for comprehensive while in storage.

I have a conundrum of sorts. I paid in the $70's for a manual GTS that I estimate its current value in the $90's. Conventional insurance isn't going to pay out $90,000 for it in case of a catastrophe. Grundy and or others may or may not pay out if I drive it. Everywhere on this website it's said these cars are to be driven, not sitting in garages. I agree! I asked Grundy for clarification for their conflicting information and haven't received a response. When you're potentially a customer and they're unresponsive before they've gotten your money, how are they after?

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I surprised no one mentioned Porsche Auto Insurance. I chose them for FMV coverage on my GTS over Hagerty and Grundy. It's all mileage based and I pay peanuts. The coverage is the best I've seen by a mile.
https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/
Edit: I just realized that Porsche Auto Insurance is only available in Oregon, Georgia and Illinois. IL gets a rare nod its way on this one.
That's a shame, I would have really been interested in what they had to say.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Unless your Hartford policy is agreed value, you will get what they say you get if there is a loss. The allure of Grundy/Hagarty/American Modern/etc is not just somewhat lower cost, but also piece of mind should there be a loss.
Hartford is not AV, (moot because we just switched to Allstate a couple of weeks ago, but same difference). Grundy/Hagerty/etc. are NOT less expensive. To get an AV policy, it will cost about 4X as much as before, which is fine IF I can actually drive it like I did before, (weekends, pleasure trips, etc.)

Originally Posted by sandwedge
So what if you go on a Sunday pleasure trip and decide to stop somewhere for something to drink, some ice cream or whatever and someone hits you while parked or you screw up and back into something. They can deny coverage? What's a pleasure trip if you can't stop anywhere for food and drinks without risking denial of coverage?

This is my problem, the coverage is WAY more expensive with a lot of weasel words. Guaranteed coverage means it's locked away in a garage and it burns down. It was more fun being blissfully unaware I was grossly under insured with Hartford. I may go with Hagerty, through my Allstate agent where I at least have someone working on my behalf if there's a problem. I had him speak to his contact at Hagerty and ask specifically about my upcoming trip. They told him while they would PREFER I not drive the Porsche, I would still be covered. Better, but still doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling.

Your example is perfect. I had this scenario recently, Took the car out all day driving the country roads around SE Wisconsin. Wife called and said stop and get milk on the way home. Stopped at the Grocery store and ran in, out. Came home. Would I be covered all day long except the 10 minutes I was in the parking lot?

Edit: I spoke with someone else with Grundy about a copy of the endorsements and declarations. They would not provide them unless I was insured with them already. They also reiterated if I took the car on a "vacation", I would not be covered. I could take it "limited driving, to get ice cream or go to a friends house". Needless to say, they are off my list.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 03-19-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Ohio Performance (03-19-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
All good and well but what about anything short of a total loss? Seems to be an awful lot of restrictions for a "somewhat lower cost" that if I read these restrictions correctly you could well be deemed uncovered at Grundy's or Hagarty's discretion no matter what the damage and no matter under which circumstances. Personal choice of course but I would want a lot more than a "somewhat lower cost" to consider something like this.

Maybe I would look at this differently if I ever had a total loss of a car and got screwed by my insurer. Never had a total loss in my lifetime and I can't even think of anyone I know who did.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
This is my problem, the coverage is WAY more expensive with a lot of weasel words. Guaranteed coverage means it's locked away in a garage and it burns down. It was more fun being blissfully unaware I was grossly under insured with Hartford. I may go with Hagerty, through my Allstate agent where I at least have someone working on my behalf if there's a problem. I had him speak to his contact at Hagerty and ask specifically about my upcoming trip. They told him while they would PREFER I not drive the Porsche, I would still be covered. Better, but still doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling.

Your example is perfect. I had this scenario recently, Took the car out all day driving the country roads around SE Wisconsin. Wife called and said stop and get milk on the way home. Stopped at the Grocery store and ran in, out. Came home. Would I be covered all day long except the 10 minutes I was in the parking lot?

Edit: I spoke with someone else with Grundy about a copy of the endorsements and declarations. They would not provide them unless I was insured with them already. They also reiterated if I took the car on a "vacation", I would not be covered. I could take it "limited driving, to get ice cream or go to a friends house". Needless to say, they are off my list.
Way too restrictive for normal enjoyment of the car imo. That's what I don't get. The savings seem minuscule if there's any savings at all. Either way, it seems like you're completely at the mercy of either of these insurers whether you're covered or not depending on their opinion of how you used the car. And all for collecting the last penny in the highly unlikely event of a total loss.

With my Hartford policy I can go wherever I want to, stop wherever I want to, park wherever I want to and still be covered 100% minus deductible if I'm at fault as long as I'm current on paying for my policy.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:20 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I have Hagerty and they told me that I would be covered regardless of how I was using the car. However, I could not use it as s daily driver. I contacted them before I took a road trip to Yellowstone last summer and they verified that I would covered. I don’t drive the 911 every day in fact rarely during winter so the coverage is fine. If something does happen I know I will receive exactly what I paid for it. That’s good enough for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilovemaui:
Ironman88 (03-20-2021), Robocop305 (03-23-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 07:00 AM
bloomjbmw
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default AV Info Grundy

Here is what is provided when you get Grundy AV insurance specific to usage requirements/allowance:

A.It is agreed and understood that the definition of Your covered auto is deleted and replaced by the following: “Your covered auto” means:

1.Any “collector vehicle” shown in the Declarations.
2.Any “newly acquired auto” that meets the definition of a “collector vehicle”.

B.It is agreed and understood that the following definition is added to the policy:“Collector vehicle” means a private passenger auto or motorcycle that:
1.Is maintained solely for use in exhibitions,parades,club activities,or other functions of public interest.
2.Is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands, shopping, general transportation, secondary or back-up transportation,business or commercial purposes, except for limited pleasure use.

C.It is agreed and understood that DEFINITIONS, K. “Newly acquired auto:”2. is amended as follows: If you comply with the 4 day requirement and a loss occurred before you asked us to insure the“new acquired auto”, the Collision deductible and the Other Than Collision deductible for that “new acquired auto” are revised from $500 to $0.D.It is agreed and understood that
PartD–COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO, APPRAISAL is deleted from this policy.
E.PART A – LIABILITY COVERAGE, EXCLUSIONS, B.1.a is hereby deleted. There is no coverage provided by this policy while “your covered auto” is: used for organized or impromptu racing, rallying, participation in any speed contest or time competitive event, or while driven on a racetrack for any reason.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been an interesting read. I do have a Hagerty policy on my wife's cobra convertible that we started putting money into last year and didn't realize these restrictions were in place. Its not a daily driver by any means but does take an occasional trip to work and hair appt. Time for me to dig into the policy
Old 04-03-2021, 12:58 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
Are trips to Lowe’s, grocery store, etc considered errands?
I just read thru our Hagerty Policy twice on the wifes mustang cobra vert. There is no mention of errands or parking lot damages not being covered. Only vehicles used in business or racing events will be excluded from coverage when damaged during those uses
Old 04-03-2021, 06:22 PM
SF911TT
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwksnke
I just read thru our Hagerty Policy twice on the wifes mustang cobra vert. There is no mention of errands or parking lot damages not being covered. Only vehicles used in business or racing events will be excluded from coverage when damaged during those uses
I specifically asked about the random errand and Hagerty's assured me it was covered. I asked "what if i'm out for a pleasure drive and my wife calls me to pick up some milk?" The agent also mentioned that this conversation is being recorded so we'll have that on record too. Not sure if that's really true, but sounded nice.

Quick Reply: Hagerty, Grundy, or other, which AV policy?