steering wheel choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 AM
997 at 275
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Default steering wheel choices

Hey all

I have posted only a couple things on here since owning my 997.1 and are in a little jamb

I have done some mods to my car, tastefull and correct with some thanks to reading some fellow rennlisters posts and some from research and some from just doing it. It's time for a steering wheel

I researched some forums here and found info but not what I needed SO typical of my 997.1 saddle interior I have the stock triangle shape steering wheel without PDK paddles (six speed car) and WITH steering wheel controls. I changed the head unit and it all works with steering controls so I still want them.. Now I see Porsche wheels are remarkably interchangeable on many cars and SUV's. I scored a well worn Macan wheel, but it is black but a super deal. The air bag did not come with it, so I bought a used air bag, saddle color..perfect right? Well not so much I then realized I overlooked that 911 air bags are thicker and mount different anyways, THEN I found a Macan airbag, which fits fine BUT advertised saddle color is beige. WOW my mind is blown! My first thought before all this was to buy a NEW Porsche wheel from Suncoast which is a the Macan Walnut wheel, but it does not come with a airbag. And with all this I 'm thinking about ordering that wheel after all and having my air bag color changed buy Vivid,(which I think the can do) Now, I like the Macan airbag better because it has a nice chrome ring on it, so it does not look so plain as the 911 airbag. I did mount the Macan wheel to the car and it fits fine and plugs right in, no air bag light, controls work fine. The simple difference in the wheel thickness between the Macan wheel and the 911 wheel I don't think anyone would notice. The wheel hub also has PDK paddles and I saw on you tube, a wheel swap where the guy removed the paddles and made some simple painted filler plugs for the hub from a soda can..yes a soda can!

In my run on message here..what are the other choices? Anyone have the walnut wheel on their car? I was going to send Vivid my wheel for mods.. anyone out there have experience with that or recoloring their airbag? Who are some who might respond with good or bad experiences with a wheel re finisher? I am tilting toward a custom wheel. not a 1970 muscle car aluminum slot wheels gaudy steering wheel wheel..something that "fits"

THANKS

Quick Reply: steering wheel choices