Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheels jamming while driving is caused by too little differential oil in the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 07:40 AM
JurgenV
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0001
See below from workshop manual about filling and draining plugs the diff and gearwheel set space. (which is one compartment)
1 = differential space
2 = gearwheel set space
3 = filling / oil level inspection for space 1 and 2

Since only 0.3L came out I suspect partial draining was done at the diff plug 1 which sits a bit higher in elevation leaving some oil behind in the gearwheel set space and obvious forgot to fill after! Probably this was drained together with the clutch oil and shop though that clutch and diff/ gearwheel are same space with oil and therefore not filled separate.
Or when draining the PDK clutch oil, diff space plug 1 was also removed for ease of draining PDK oil (they thought). Not sure but I believe that diff plug 1 is also near the clutch drain plug. This is more likely what happened reading this and on the Dutch forum.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info and sounds like a possible option of what happened... stil the INDY doesnt change their mind and do nog take any responcebillity.

I have heard on the Dutch forum that there must be an indication on the dashboard for when the diff/gear olie becomes to hot or doesnt have the right oil level on a 997mk2.
I know there is an indication for te PDK clutch oil

Can any one help me on this one?

Thanks all of you so far :-)

Als if there is
Old 02-20-2021, 09:31 AM
rob0001
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Jurgen, IF (and I doubt) there is an indicator on dash for diff oil temperature/ level there should be a sensor(s) somewhere in the casing of your diff......
Since the guys in Ede took it apart ask if there is a sensor in here. If not then the diff and gearwheel set has no indicator for oil / temperature.
The PDK clutch side has.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 159K manual transmission

A few years ago, I stopped off at a well-known Porsche Indy to have my MT fluid changed... I provided the Mobilube PTX. The new tech was just recruited from the local Porsche dealer where he had 10+ years working there. He filled my fluid using the wrong hole. It was the first time he did a change on a 997.2. As it turned out, the area behind the fill holes were all interconnected so there was no damage... no issue. He came back to me and said it would need at least another quart... I walked back to the car with him and saw what he did. We popped the filler plug from the proper hole and we got a drip so all was well.

My point here is all techs learn on our cars. They just do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-21-2021, 02:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 159K manual transmission

A few years ago, I stopped off at a well-known Porsche Indy to have my MT fluid changed... I provided the Mobilube PTX. The new tech was just recruited from the local Porsche dealer where he had 10+ years working there. He filled my fluid using the wrong hole. It was the first time he did a change on a 997.2. As it turned out, the area behind the fill holes were all interconnected so there was no damage... no issue. He came back to me and said it would need at least another quart... I walked back to the car with him and saw what he did. We popped the filler plug from the proper hole and we got a drip so all was well.

My point here is all techs learn on our cars. They just do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
No doubt but credit where it's due. Two techs at the dealership in my hometown are just incredibly sharp. I bet they could change oil and filter along with spark plugs blind folded. Probably a bunch of other things too. They've been there for a long time spending a lot of time learning on customer's cars. But as you say, no matter how much they've already learned, I bet they learn something new, no matter how minor every day in the shop.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:29 AM
JurgenV
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0001
Jurgen, IF (and I doubt) there is an indicator on dash for diff oil temperature/ level there should be a sensor(s) somewhere in the casing of your diff......
Since the guys in Ede took it apart ask if there is a sensor in here. If not then the diff and gearwheel set has no indicator for oil / temperature.
The PDK clutch side has.

I agree that a there should be an indication light on the dash. At the Dutch site they gave me these pictures.. can anyone tell me if the red circle indicates a temp sensor for the gear/diff oil??, or is this for the PDK oil??
Also when it is for the gear/diff oil.... how does this indicates on the dash? ..... there is no seperate indication on the dash for the gear/diff oil temp....

Quick Reply: Rear wheels jamming while driving is caused by too little differential oil in the PDK