Sponsored by:

9A1/DFI Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 04:37 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default 9A1/DFI Rebuild

No I don’t have any issues with my 2009 111,000 mile base 997.2 that is my occasional track toy, but 100% daily driver here in southern Texas, except when we have ice and snow like what we are supposed to receive today.

Anyway I love my car as I have put over 40,000 miles on it in 3 year even though it is 8 miles to work and I only work 4 days a week. I have Zero interest when I blow up this engine to move to a 991.1 or any turbocharged engine. I love the Naturally Aspirated Engines. Yes I could afford to send the engine to Jake Raby, but I love to work on cars. (I once regearded the axle ratio in my Jeep and it costed a few hundred dollars more to do it myself than the shop quote just because I wanted the experience.

Anyway there is only one introductory 4 hour Knowledge Gruppe class for the 9A1 engine and there is no way that could get me through rebuilding this complex engine. I know there are people on here that have done it, but I want to know how did you do it? Little research here and there or was there one go to place. Are the M9X engine rebuild videos enough to rebuild the 9A1 engine? This might be something I start to tackle next week or in 5 years. Only time will tell. I of course would update whatever weak points Jake will suggest as he knows his stuff and even has helped me to figure out stuff he didn’t have to help me with through email and even a couple phone calls. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

You need to sign up for the online M96/M97 101 class, which is a prerequisite for taking the in-person 102.class at Jake's R&d facility in GA. That's the class where you actually teardown and build an engine from the block. Though, I don't think he offers a 9A1 in-person class you could probably learn a lot about that engines predecessor and I would guess much of that knowledge gained would transfer to your rebuild. I'd contact Jake and ask that question. Maybe if he knows that's your plan they could highlight some of the differences for you in that class.

I took it a few years ago and it really helps understand the issues and troubleshoot problems when you understand how the engine goes together and where everything is.

Maybe he'll add a 9A1 class if he gets enough interest and could fill one up.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

I came close to taking Jake's class a few years ago but my interest was in the 9A1 so I finally opted out. The different motors are significantly different.

However, at the time Pete took the class he reported a bit of discussion about the 9A1. For instance, chain tensioner replacement was talked about as I recall.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I came close to taking Jake's class a few years ago but my interest was in the 9A1 so I finally opted out. The different motors are significantly different.

However, at the time Pete took the class he reported a bit of discussion about the 9A1. For instance, chain tensioner replacement was talked about as I recall.
Actually, at the time, Jake was concerned about the strength and size of the timing chains used on the 9A1 motor, thinking that might turn out to be an issue as they aged. Unless I've missed a number of posts about this issue, I don't think there have been many, if any, timing chain failures on that motor.

As expected, the fuel dilution, cylinder washing, and carbon buildup issues are being seen a bit as they are on all DFI motors, but other than the fuel dilution, not to anywhere near the extent they are on other makes of engines, specifically like those from BMW and even Audi that have to be walnut blasted every 30k-40k miles to prevent runnability issues. When these DFI Porsche engines are disassembled, there is intake valve carbon build-up, but for some reason it's not as bad as others and also doesn't seem to cause the same CELs and require that something be done about it. Maybe it's because the injector is spraying the back side of the intake valve when it's open, as it looks like in some of the literature on the new DFI motors (can't really tell from the angle and which the graphic is created), or maybe it's something else.

Either way, the 9A1 motor has proven to be a nice leap forward for Porsche as far as mitigating a number of the problems with the previous generation engines, and even though we see some failures, they're far fewer.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:58 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Signing up in case this turns out to be a build thread.

Doc, would you be sending the core off to LN for more displacement if you ever wind up doing this? Assuming IF the core is viable if the engine ever gives up the ghost requiring a re-build...
Old 02-15-2021, 02:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

A bit off topic but still within bounds of rebuilding, I have a friend who opted to proactively build up a 9A2 motor. His first go took it to 4.25. Leaking valve guides caused excessive oil consumption. So he sent it back and while fixing the first problem he upgraded to 4.5 displacement. Things have been good for him since.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:31 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Check out these... May also be cheaper to ship to UK and have it rebuilt.

https://www.hartech.org/images/downloads/Hartech%20Porsche%20Buyers%20Guide.pdf

https://www.hartech.org/engine-rebuilds

Quick Reply: 9A1/DFI Rebuild