Sponsored by:

Seat Swap, Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:58 PM
c4ment
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Swap, Advice Needed

Hoping to get some ideas here. I have a 2007 997tt and recently swapped the power comfort seats to the Porsche Sport seats (with heat and automated backrest). The passenger seat swapped over fine but the drivers seat was difficult. On the drivers side there are 2 plugs coming from the car, a yellow plug and a black one. In order to utilize both of these, I swapped the control box from the power comfort seats to the sport seats. The bottom side of the control unit is presumably where the power functions of the old seats plug in. On the sport seats, I left them unplugged, put plugged in the yellow and plugged back in the black box coming from the car to the control box. RESULTS: the seat back appears to have no power, (though heat works) an odd faint ticking is heard from the bottom of the seat as I unlock the car, until I turn the key in ignition and the airbag light is on and I can’t reset it with my Porsche specific Foxwell scanner. Any ideas? I wonder if there is another type of controller box for the sport seats?

Bottom view of comfort power seat prior to swapping control box over

View of control box showing comfort seat power features on the bottom and the black plug coming from the car on the top

Bottom of the sport seat showing newly mounted bracket for control unit and all plugs that were on the seat. Note no obvious power plug for the seat back shown so I can only assume power must come from the yellow plug
Old 02-13-2021, 06:20 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Don’t even bother switching boxes. Comfort seats have memory, right? Just tap 12v to power the seat back on the manual sport seats. There might be another way, but just tapping 12v is easy and get power to the pins that need it. I’ve posted on this solution previously.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:31 PM
mdf008
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming that you have the same spec, power heated seats, correct?

Did the seats come from a car that was in an accident? Airbag light is on. I know in BMW's, the seatbelt receptacle has an explosive charge to reel in the belt and lock it during an accident. Guessing that is standard safety equipment in most cars. I'm guessing that is the case and only a driver was in the car which explains why the passenger side is good. I don't know if the seat belt signals the seat back airbag to go off too. It's also possible the airbag and selt belt were replaced and you need a dealer to have a reset done. But I kind of doubt that the Foxwell couldn't handle that.

Or the wiring is not fully seated in the harness to allow a connection. But that's not very likely.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

The plastic connector that had the pins for the seat belt can also get crushed if you aren’t careful. Inspect the pins and make sure they’re straight.

Quick Reply: Seat Swap, Advice Needed