Sponsored by:

Daily Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 10:15 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Daily Dilemma

I currently have a 2010 328 M sport as my daily. I have spent my time working to make it a well sorted car and just dropped about $3k into maintenance. It really needs nothing. It is a semi fun car and somewhat unique in that it is one of the last year straight 6 and it has the M-sport package. As with all things I have been getting a touch bored lately, especially since it is winter here and I cannot drive the 911. The plan was to try to make it another year or two and then maybe buy a GT3 (997.2 or 991.2)to replace my 997. If I buy another daily that might not be possible. I enjoy the outdoors and am a cyclist, so car choices become a bit conflicting and bipolar because I also love fast fun cars.That said my wife has a CRV that can be used to haul bikes when needed. The draw to another sports car is that I instruct performance driving and do get a bit tired of beating on the 911. So far the choices I have developed are:

1.) wait things out for another 2 years then see where I am at

2.) New Jeep Wrangler (buying these used seems pointless)

4.) Used Audi S3, these seem fun and sporty although maybe smaller than my 328. Very good price point though.

5.) Mercedes C43 AMG, never driven one, but on paper they seem awesome and get good reviews. A bit more than the S3

6.) Used F80 BMW M3. If money were not a factor I would probably go this route. I have always wanted an M car, but this would be at the top of my current budget.

7.) E90 M3. I have always loved these cars, but they are getting impossible to find in a 4 door and getting almost as pricy as the F80, I think the ship has sailed on these unless one falls into my lap.

The other downside to jumping to something new for a daily is that currently I am in a position where if something happens to the 997 I can probably pay to have it fixed. If I buy another car and something happens like the engine lets go, it would have to wait a while. Not sure I want to give up that feeling.

Last edited by bgoetz; 02-03-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:35 AM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

You might consider a 335, either e series (10-15k) or f series (15-20k). They make great dailys. The torque from the i6 turbo makes driving around town more fun. They also take bolt on mods and tunes well. You could almost have f80 M3 power for less than 1/2 the price. Put that money towards your next p-car

A wrx or sti hatchback would be another decent choice. Lots of room for bikes/gear in the back. Again, turbo will be fun around town.

I've owned both and they make excellent dailys when I'm not driving the 911.

Last edited by arscottp; 02-03-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:01 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by arscottp
You might consider a 335, either e series (10-15k) or f series (15-20k). They make great dailys. The torque from the i6 turbo makes driving around town more fun. They also take bolt on mods and tunes well. You could almost have f80 M3 power for less than 1/2 the price. Put that money towards your next p-car

A wrx or sti hatchback would be another decent choice. Lots of room for bikes/gear in the back. Again, turbo will be fun around town.

I've owned both and they make excellent dailys when I'm not driving the 911.
Thanks! That isn’t bad advice, maybe even a 340xi then I get the AWD and could possibly find a CPO or do you think there is more value in the 335? I should add that it has to be an automatic so the transmission is a big factor, which is why I am drawn to a dual clutch and unfortunately the STI is out. That said the 8spd in the BMW seems superb
Old 02-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

You have a real gem with the 328. (What a great engine.)

For what it's worth - I had an F32 435i ('14) that was the most unBMW-like BMW that I've ever had. (And I have had many over the years.) Novocaine on wheels. Just a car.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:11 AM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm a cyclist too, and unfortunately have had "upgraditis" that can spread to cars as well if not careful. I honestly wasn't expecting my 911 to be a daily, and so previous commuter car - an E39 V8 Touring that fit my bike - was sold not long after the 911 purchase. Nowadays if I need to bring the bike I use a Sea Sucker roof mount.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:13 AM
arscottp
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

The b58 in the 340 is supposed to be a great engine. IMO the 340 isnt worth the 10k premium over a 335 though.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

I'll add that a 997.2 GT3 could very well be a $175k+ car in 2 years given what we are witnessing with all 997 values right now. Something to think about if you plan on holding off.
Have you driven an S3 yet? I'd have to imagine that car will not be pleasing to a driving instructor who owns a 911 and 328. I would go with a B8.5 S4 with a swapped pulley and the sport diff if you want real quattro. You can find an amazing example for $25-30k.
And if you go M3, go e90 if you value one of the finest naturally aspirated engines of all time. With a simple catback and a carbon intake plenum and you will have one of the most amazing sounding cars of all time. Just spend $3k to have a reputable shop swap the rod bearings and you are good to go. Many say the F80 M3s are soulless but you can't argue with the performance and torque is your friend for a daily.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:50 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ironman88
You have a real gem with the 328. (What a great engine.).
Yeah, I do think this car will be somewhat sought after, as much as a daily soccer mom sedan can be I guess. This makes me think that keeping it for now isn’t a bad choice, I don’t think it is costing me a dime to own.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:24 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Two suggestions:
  1. Jeep Gladiator - plenty of room for bikes, you can get it in manual, same chassis as a Wrangler, cool soft-top bed options to keep bikes out of elements
  2. This one is a sleeper, but they are hella fast and inconspicuous: Ford Transit T-150 with the 3.5L ecoboost
Old 02-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Yeah, I do think this car will be somewhat sought after, as much as a daily soccer mom sedan can be I guess. This makes me think that keeping it for now isn’t a bad choice, I don’t think it is costing me a dime to own.
That car is a product from a BMW organization that no longer exists. The design of it was driven by engineers - not "propeller-head" marketing hacks.

By comparison, the current BMW company is a disaster in my view.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...2010-bmw-328i/

Old 02-03-2021, 01:02 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I currently have a 2010 328 M sport as my daily. I have spent my time working to make it a well sorted car and just dropped about $3k into maintenance. It really needs nothing. It is a semi fun car and somewhat unique in that it is one of the last year straight 6 and it has the M-sport package. As with all things I have been getting a touch bored lately, especially since it is winter here and I cannot drive the 911. The plan was to try to make it another year or two and then maybe buy a GT3 (997.2 or 991.2)to replace my 997. If I buy another daily that might not be possible. I enjoy the outdoors and am a cyclist, so car choices become a bit conflicting and bipolar because I also love fast fun cars.That said my wife has a CRV that can be used to haul bikes when needed. The draw to another sports car is that I instruct performance driving and do get a bit tired of beating on the 911. So far the choices I have developed are:

1.) wait things out for another 2 years then see where I am at

2.) New Jeep Wrangler (buying these used seems pointless)

4.) Used Audi S3, these seem fun and sporty although maybe smaller than my 328. Very good price point though.

5.) Mercedes C43 AMG, never driven one, but on paper they seem awesome and get good reviews. A bit more than the S3

6.) Used F80 BMW M3. If money were not a factor I would probably go this route. I have always wanted an M car, but this would be at the top of my current budget.

7.) E90 M3. I have always loved these cars, but they are getting impossible to find in a 4 door and getting almost as pricy as the F80, I think the ship has sailed on these unless one falls into my lap.

The other downside to jumping to something new for a daily is that currently I am in a position where if something happens to the 997 I can probably pay to have it fixed. If I buy another car and something happens like the engine lets go, it would have to wait a while. Not sure I want to give up that feeling.

Faced with a similar dilemma in 2018 I traded in my manual 997.2 C2S for a GT3 Touring. Love the Touring but missed the 997.2 and immediately started looking for another 997.2.

IMHO the 997 is one of the best road cars ever

It took almost a year to find a suitable replacement another 2011 manual C2S. If you replace your 997 with a GT3 I suspect you will regret that decision.

Another option would be to use your current 997 as a DD and replace your BMW with a GT3. If you are concerned about “engine issues” with your 997 an aftermarket warranty would likely solve that possible issue. That’s what I did, while expensive it would eliminate any concerns.

With so much uncertainty in the world today, waiting was not an option for me. Lots of cheap money still available if you need to stretch the budget.

We are blessed to have so many choices, GLWYS.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:22 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Patrick3000 living the dream! GT3 Touring for fun and a 997.2 for a DD. Not bad!

Interesting perspective to hear a GT3 owner still desiring a 997 in his life.
The following users liked this post:
Patrick3000 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 05:56 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Had a similar situation myself last year ... I owned a 2009 E90 328i for over 10years and absolutely loved it! Naturally aspirated straight 6, RWD, and manual - perfect combo.

For me it was time for something new, working on the car was becoming a PITA because every fastener was rusted due to the salt conditions up here. I debated long and hard about what to get, and I ended up picking a super low mileage F30 340xi - of course a manual! Took a while to find one but got a nice spec with the MPPSK as well. It's far more of an isolated driving experience that the E90 with a lot less 'feel', but the power of that B58 ... hooooly!
Old 02-03-2021, 06:34 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 691 Likes on 416 Posts

Keep the 328. I’ve had 4 straight 6 bmw’s and that is the second greatest engine ever made (I’ll not side track discussion with best ever made lol). Bullet proof, easily mod’d for lots of hp. Only issue is cooling system and if replace pre-emptive car will last forever (make sure to open every window/sunroof monthly). Great tactile driving sensation like the 997, very good manual (get Whalen shift machine and it’s unreal shift experience). A true classic.I’ve had couple of Audi’s and liked them but for that era not close to bmw. Only neg to M series is brakes, before P I loved them, but P is linear, M series is too quick to grab, you learn to use them but not same tactile feel as P, just my opnion. Newer gen bmw too isolated and too hard to do regular mainteance, impossible to do much more than oil/brakes.

If still move on, amg is pretty damn nice, brother has one with v12 and it’s ridiculous fast and handles great. Expensive if breaks but what a car.

Re-evaluate in 6 months, not 2 years lol.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:37 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

I would keep that e90 N52 (add a hidden tow hitch) and the 997, and plan for a GT3 upgrade in the future to replace the 997.

Currently you have a nice fleet.

The 997 should be flat or continue to go up in value if you keep miles normal and maintenance up to date.

Most of the cars on your list still have depreciation to suffer and the ones that should be sparred (e90 M3) can be a basket case if you get a bad one.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 02-03-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Daily Dilemma