Sponsored by:

Function-First Engine Mounts - 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 09:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Default Function-First Engine Mounts - 997.2

Looking to get a feedback update from any of those who have gone with Function-First engine mounts. Any experiences with them on 997.2 would be of particular interest.

What benefits have you experienced?

Any concerns / problems / issues of any kind?

How would you compare after-install NVH with the previous mounts?

How did the install affect the position of your exhaust tips relative to their position with the old / replaced mounts?

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:26 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 776 Posts

The exhaust tips are a red herring IMHO. If you loosen the securing bolt you will find you can adjust them up or down an inch. You really need to level them relative to each other before you trust any measurements.

I believe one set of motor mounts I installed for a friend were F1. He likes them ... Standard comments apply regarding better shifting and less rear end flex with no appreciable increase in NVH. This was for a 2010 C4S MT with around 75K miles.

I opted for Rennline for two reasons ...

1. They included multiple inserts to show a myriad of hardnesses. With three hardnesses times two inserts per mount and the ability to mix or match you have six combinations.

2. The machining is beautiful IMHO.

Even with the full hardness I found no significant increase in NVH but I did see a major improvement on rear end stability. Especially the case on high speed sweepers with undulations. This was another 2010 C4S but with PDK and 136K miles.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The exhaust tips are a red herring IMHO. If you loosen the securing bolt you will find you can adjust them up or down an inch. You really need to level them relative to each other before you trust any measurements.

I believe one set of motor mounts I installed for a friend were F1. He likes them ... Standard comments apply regarding better shifting and less rear end flex with no appreciable increase in NVH. This was for a 2010 C4S MT with around 75K miles.

I opted for Rennline for two reasons ...

1. They included multiple inserts to show a myriad of hardnesses. With three hardnesses times two inserts per mount and the ability to mix or match you have six combinations.

2. The machining is beautiful IMHO.

Even with the full hardness I found no significant increase in NVH but I did see a major improvement on rear end stability. Especially the case on high speed sweepers with undulations. This was another 2010 C4S but with PDK and 136K miles.
Thanks Wayne.
Just for clarity - the Rennline you're referring to is the one depicted below? Also - went with the red inserts?

For my use, I would probably consider the opposite end of the hardness spectrum (yellow)...

Old 02-02-2021, 11:12 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I recently installed the FF engine mounts, along with the Shift Right bushings and cable ends, review here — https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html.

Biggest change was the mounts got rid of the thumping between shifts. A bit more vibration at idle and changed the exhaust note in a positive way. I think it’s a great upgrade overall.
Ironman88 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Thanks Wayne.
Just for clarity - the Rennline you're referring to is the one depicted below? Also - went with the red inserts?

For my use, I would probably consider the opposite end of the hardness spectrum (yellow)...

Those are the ones. I started with the hardest inserts figuring I could go softer more easily than harder (which would then require retreating to softer once/if I found NVH to be excessive). As it was, hardest was a good place. If your mounts are worn they may be allowing NVH as the motor may be bouncing. In other words, harder may result in smoother. But this isn't an easy algorithm to figure. All the more reason for adjustability. All the more reason to start hard. Of course YMMV.
Ironman88 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:41 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Those are the ones. I started with the hardest inserts figuring I could go softer more easily than harder (which would then require retreating to softer once/if I found NVH to be excessive). As it was, hardest was a good place. If your mounts are worn they may be allowing NVH as the motor may be bouncing. In other words, harder may result in smoother. But this isn't an easy algorithm to figure. All the more reason for adjustability. All the more reason to start hard. Of course YMMV.
I came across some additional detail on these in the 997 Turbo forum...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ne-mounts.html

Old 02-03-2021, 12:24 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

RSS
I had them in my 997.1
Very high quality
No vibrations - just perfect.
While I will be replacing 997.2 engine mounts I will for sure purchase RSS again
The following 2 users liked this post by GTSpure:
DesmoSD (02-03-2021), Ironman88 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:46 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

I put these in my 09 C2 about 4 months ago and am very pleased. You can see how the cavity has been really professionally filled providing much less flex.
I already had the FF Transmission mount installed, and while I was expecting some NVH increase, after several months I can say that it is absolutely minimal . To describe it differently, I have to listen quite deliberately to even notice it. Caveat - I also have the FVD Sport Exhaust so my car is quite a bit louder than stock.

The connection feels better on launches and quick direction changes. I would definitely recommend them.

Ironman88 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 105 Posts

Huge thumbs up for the FF Engine mounts.
I took a gamble on the RSS mounts first and installed them.
I don't understand how people say they felt little to no increase on NVH with them?
I found it very noticeable and in the end unbearable for a car I like to put miles on.
And it exposed some rattles that I didn't have before...

Swapped out to FF and performance was the same but ZERO increase in NVH.
Best of both worlds IMO.

Since then I also went with the shifter upgrade and cable end upgrade and they totally transformed my OEM Short Shifter to perfection.
I have the transmission mounts (ORANGE) but won't get them installed until the spring.

Luca the owner of FF is great to deal with too. Support during the shifter mod/install was outstanding.

The following 3 users liked this post by Recruiter_Bruno:
DesmoSD (02-03-2021), ewc (02-03-2021), Ironman88 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 02:48 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

One interesting discovery is the past events of the Rennline RSS mounts being resold in the MP here.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:32 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
I don't understand how people say they felt little to no increase on NVH with them?
I found it very noticeable and in the end unbearable for a car I like to put miles on.

Best of both worlds IMO.

Since then I also went with the shifter upgrade and cable end upgrade and they totally transformed my OEM Short Shifter to perfection.
I have the transmission mounts (ORANGE) but won't get them installed until the spring.

Luca the owner of FF is great to deal with too. Support during the shifter mod/install was outstanding.
Interesting. Care to share the specific rattles? When I bought my C2S in 2018 with 14K miles, I swapped cars with my buddy (owns a BMW E46) for a canyon run. After the drive, we talked about the ride and one of the things he said was that he noticed rattling coming from the center air vent. When I got back into car, I turned the radio off and for the life of me, tried to pinpoint the rattle and could barely hear it. I was very minimal to me but for him, that's the first thing that he noticed when he started driving.

I'm very curious to see how the RSS' feel since NVH can be very subjective and my OEM ones seem to be on their way out. I'm used to straight pipe, a little exhaust drone, turbos spooling, blow off valves and all kinds of noises from my Supra so I'll see how much difference the 997 behaves with the RSS mounts. I looked at the FF ones and even saw the Corteco (two options of polyurethane) DIY mod for a more specific firmness.

Originally Posted by Ironman88
One interesting discovery is the past events of the Rennline RSS mounts being resold in the MP here.
Interesting feedback as I'm going to install my RSS mounts this weekend. I've been monitoring the marketplace and don't really see much traffic for aftermarket mounts as I was looking for RSS since they can be rebuilt. I didn't find any so pulled the trigger and bought new ones.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1202166
Old 02-03-2021, 03:33 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Over Black Friday, I actually first ordered the Rennline tuneable mounts (similar to the RSS), but then read reviews similar to yours, saying they have too much NVH. I ended up returning the Rennlines and bought the FF mounts, which I've been happy with. I have noticed even with the FF more NVH at idle, and a small new dash buzz. But it's worth the tradeoff, as they stopped the transmission thump noise that I was getting between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on my 997.2 manual.

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno

Best of both worlds IMO.

Ironman88 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Interesting. Care to share the specific rattles?
If I think back it was a rattle in the seat mechanism and one behind the seat belt trim on the B pillar.
My car is plenty loud so it wasn't about that.
But in general I didn't want the extra vibration.
The RSS Engine mounts took too much away from the refinement of the vehicle (and I have a very firm suspension with no regrets)
DesmoSD (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Function-First Engine Mounts - 997.2