Sponsored by:

My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 02:03 PM
juicedhd
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Beautiful car and good choice between the 991 and 997. Agree completely with your reasoning. As for modifications I understand that you're not in a hurry to start messing with it but I don't see the sport chrono "wart" timer on the dash indicating no Sport Chrono unless it was added post factory delivery which doesn't include the timer. You can stop reading if I'm wrong but if you have a PDK car without Sport Chrono I think you should give serious consideration to adding it in short order and then leave everything else alone for now.

Again, you won't get the timer on the dash which is useless anyway so no big loss. What you will get though is what matters which is sport and sport plus mode which completely changes the character and performance of the PDK.....for the better in a big way.

Personally I wouldn't own a PDK car without Sport Chrono. Last I heard it's about $1,200 - $1,300 installed. I'd be in a state of shock if you do this and then regret having done it. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html
Sandwedge, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about adding Sport Chrono (minus the clock). I was not aware that it could be added. I definitely will consider adding....
Old 01-23-2021, 03:28 PM
juicedhd
Intermediate

After reading a few more threads from folks that have added sport mode, I decided to pull the trigger. Placed my order from Suncoast today!

Now I need to determine the best dealer to get this installed. Does anyone have any suggestions in the Houston area?
Old 01-23-2021, 03:48 PM
The_Driveway
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats juiced! Looks like the previous owner took great care of the car as the paint is in immaculate condition
Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by juicedhd
Sandwedge, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about adding Sport Chrono (minus the clock). I was not aware that it could be added. I definitely will consider adding....
Sure thing. Glad to hear you went for it. Like I said, it truly transforms the transmission and the car. Sounds like you did some research here and I bet you didn't find anyone with any regrets doing what you just did. I'm not in the Houston area so I can't recommend an installer but if I were in Houston I would have a Porsche dealership with a good reputation doing the install. Not supposed to be a big deal but they know how to do it right.

Next step once installed is to get comfortable with using the various modes. Nothing complicated. Mostly a matter of preference. If you have questions, chime in here again and you'll get plenty of responses.
The following users liked this post:
juicedhd (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:24 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats
juicedhd (01-24-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 12:35 AM
juicedhd
Intermediate

Received my sport mode items (switch module, and software upgrade code) yesterday. I contacted the closest dealer and the service advisor I spoke with was very familiar with the upgrade. He gave me an estimate of $225 to install. They will install on Monday. I can't wait to feel the difference that others have shared.

I also decided to order wheel spacers. I decided to go with ECS Tuning spacers (8mm front and 15mm rear). I was able to take advantage of their sale. I will share pics once I have them installed.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and information.

The following 2 users liked this post by juicedhd:
Ironman88 (02-06-2021), RacerWannabe (02-06-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:39 PM
juicedhd
Intermediate

Default Sport / Sport Plus installed!

Sure thing. Glad to hear you went for it. Like I said, it truly transforms the transmission and the car. Sounds like you did some research here and I bet you didn't find anyone with any regrets doing what you just did. I'm not in the Houston area so I can't recommend an installer but if I were in Houston I would have a Porsche dealership with a good reputation doing the install. Not supposed to be a big deal but they know how to do it right.

Next step once installed is to get comfortable with using the various modes. Nothing complicated. Mostly a matter of preference. If you have questions, chime in here again and you'll get plenty of responses.
Picked up my car from the dealership. They installed the switch module and sport mode software. Sandwedge, you are correct that sport mode transforms the behavior of the car. I didn’t have time to mess with sport plus yet. I can’t wait to get it out on the road and get more of a feel for the these two new modes.

Spacers were delivered today. I will put them on sometime this weekend (if the weather holds up). I will share pics once I have the spacers installed.

I’m starting to look at which direction I want to go in lowering the car. I’m not looking for anything extreme. A mild drop (around an inch) is all that I want. I don’t plan on attacking the drop until sometime later this year unless a money saving opportunity arises.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Picked up my car from the dealership. They installed the switch module and sport mode software. Sandwedge, you are correct that sport mode transforms the behavior of the car. I didn’t have time to mess with sport plus yet. I can’t wait to get it out on the road and get more of a feel for the these two new modes.

Spacers were delivered today. I will put them on sometime this weekend (if the weather holds up). I will share pics once I have the spacers installed.

I’m starting to look at which direction I want to go in lowering the car. I’m not looking for anything extreme. A mild drop (around an inch) is all that I want. I don’t plan on attacking the drop until sometime later this year unless a money saving opportunity arises.
May want to look into a DSC Sport Controller for your car. Many regard that as the best handling / ride upgrade that they've done on their 997 (myself included.) The (without hype) descriptor used repeatedly is 'transformational".

You will appreciate your car much more every time you drive it with a DSC controller unit installed.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:51 PM
juicedhd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ironman88
May want to look into a DSC Sport Controller for your car. Many regard that as the best handling / ride upgrade that they've done on their 997 (myself included.) The (without hype) descriptor used repeatedly is 'transformational".

You will appreciate your car much more every time you drive it with a DSC controller unit installed.
I don’t have PASM, so I don’t think DSC will work.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:00 AM
ftc3
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine didn’t come with it either. Does anyone know if there is a retrofit harness available?
Old 02-10-2021, 12:41 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I don’t have PASM, so I don’t think DSC will work.
Thought you had an S.

You're correct - not suitable on the base Carrera without PASM.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Glad to hear you're happy with the upgrade. Once you decide to try sport plus, just be sure to do it in manual mode or it will probably turn you off. Sport mode is fine in both auto and manual but sport plus in auto mode holds the gears to redline so basically a track configuration. Sport plus in manual mode is no different than sport mode except quicker shifts. You decide when to shift, not the car's software. I'm always in sport plus/manual as soon as the oil gets up to temperature.

As for lowering, if you go with springs, Eibach and Techart both give you the 1" drop you want. H&R springs, a little lower at around 1.25". With a base car which sits a little taller than the S I think you could safely go with H&R's and get the stance you're looking for. Want to spend more money (quiet a bit more)? Get coilovers and dial in whatever ride height you want.

Last edited by sandwedge; 02-10-2021 at 02:34 AM.
ThreeFiftySix (02-10-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 08:33 PM
juicedhd
Intermediate

Glad to hear you're happy with the upgrade. Once you decide to try sport plus, just be sure to do it in manual mode or it will probably turn you off. Sport mode is fine in both auto and manual but sport plus in auto mode holds the gears to redline so basically a track configuration. Sport plus in manual mode is no different than sport mode except quicker shifts. You decide when to shift, not the car's software. I'm always in sport plus/manual as soon as the oil gets up to temperature.

As for lowering, if you go with springs, Eibach and Techart both give you the 1" drop you want. H&R springs, a little lower at around 1.25". With a base car which sits a little taller than the S I think you could safely go with H&R's and get the stance you're looking for. Want to spend more money (quiet a bit more)? Get coilovers and dial in whatever ride height you want.
Do you have any recommendations on a decent brand and model of coilovers? Primarily will be driven on the street and driving backroads.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:16 PM
Chris murphy
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks Great!
juicedhd (02-22-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 10:44 PM
solts
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you have any recommendations on a decent brand and model of coilovers? Primarily will be driven on the street and driving backroads.
Good Quality would be either a Ohlins Road/Track setup or Bilstein PSS9's. Both are perfect for primarily street use with a little track sprinkled in here and there.

Quick Reply: My first Porsche