Sponsored by:

997 manual transmission grinding in 5th

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 06:38 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update

Sorry for the delay in providing an update. It took a while for the warranty company to approve the replacement. Dealer ordered parts and will be performing the following.

- New transmission and mount
- New clutch and release bearing
- Rear main seal

Thanks for all the comments. Will also reply if I get a chance to ask about the 1st gear question.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:15 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on 1st gear

I have my car back after 6 weeks. Yay!

I had a chance to ask the tech about the notorious 1st gear issue and he confirmed that it is a known issue. There is no fix, just part of the design of the system. It is considered "normal" to have difficulty shifting into first unless completely stopped and even then it can be difficult.

Thanks all for the discussions.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by DCAZ
I have my car back after 6 weeks. Yay!

I had a chance to ask the tech about the notorious 1st gear issue and he confirmed that it is a known issue. There is no fix, just part of the design of the system. It is considered "normal" to have difficulty shifting into first unless completely stopped and even then it can be difficult.

Thanks all for the discussions.
1st gear.... hmmm.... thanx for asking! Great stuff. I think my transmission is slowly failing as it just gets notchy sooner after each PTX change.... oh well....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-26-2021, 10:55 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

If first gives you a hard time double clutch it. I find when cold sometimes the syncro is off when rolling and down shifting. A quick double clutch sorts it all out.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:37 AM
HUGHES996
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
If first gives you a hard time double clutch it. I find when cold sometimes the syncro is off when rolling and down shifting. A quick double clutch sorts it all out.

I have the same issue with my 2007 997. I have noticed if It doesn’t want to go into first that if I shift to 2nd then back to first then it will go into gear.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:30 AM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HUGHES996
I have the same issue with my 2007 997. I have noticed if It doesn’t want to go into first that if I shift to 2nd then back to first then it will go into gear.
Its sort of the same concept. Next time try just depressing the clutch a second time and then engaging first. I bet you will find the synchros have aligned and it slides right in.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:43 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 404 Posts

Its sort of the same concept. Next time try just depressing the clutch a second time and then engaging first. I bet you will find the synchros have aligned and it slides right in.
It’s amazing what we have to go thru to get the gear into first for Christ’s sake. Throw in 2nd and then 1st, double clutch, start rolling in 2nd first, put in 1st as you roll to a stop to ensure that it goes in after you start off again, change your gear oil every year...LOL. This doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it is really annoying as F. Never had this problem in my Boxster, and I never once changed out the gear oil in the 17 yrs I owned it! Too bad there’s no definitive fix. It’s not that I can’t live with it, cause I can, but it’s annoying when I allow my friends to drive it, and have to explain to them that it sometimes balks when you try to get it into first and tell them not to panic. I guess the good thing is that I don’t have a problem of it grinding when I go into 5th.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 02-27-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:14 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 991 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
It’s amazing what we have to go thru to get the gear into first for Christ’s sake. Throw in 2nd and then 1st, double clutch, start rolling in 2nd first, put in 1st as you roll to a stop to ensure that it goes in after you start off again, change your gear oil every year...LOL. This doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it is really annoying as F. Never had this problem in my Boxster, and I never once changed out the gear oil in the 17 yrs I owned it! Too bad there’s no definitive fix. It’s not that I can’t live with it, cause I can, but it’s annoying when I allow my friends to drive it, and have to explain to them that it sometimes balks when you try to get it into first and tell them not to panic. I guess the good thing is that I don’t have a problem of it grinding when I go into 5th.
Yes, annoying but your friend will never get a "Transmission Emergency Run" or "Shift Rod Displacement" error. This is the first 6 speed replacement I'm aware of. I'm sure there's more, I just haven't seen them. And this one still drove.

We'll just have to chaulk it up to character. Mine has 19k and balks sometimes.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 03-01-2021 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 10:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
I agree... I find it a true design flaw... or maybe the materials are not up to the task... who knows? I just know it ain't right. But there is a bright spot, change your manaual transmission oil out... do it every 35K miles... IMO, YMMV.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 AM
HUGHES996
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Good point and thank you. I’ll try that for sure.

Quick Reply: 997 manual transmission grinding in 5th