Old 01-29-2021 | 04:29 PM
KJR50
Instructor

5th gear synchro?
Old 01-29-2021 | 04:42 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DCAZ
Quick update. Looks like I need the new transmission, but any recommendations on other parts to replace at the same time?

Questioning: shift control cable, clutch slave/master cylinders, IMS, etc. Already decided to replace the clutch. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
IMS for sure if it is the replaceable type. Clutch slave and of course throw out bearing in case they don’t consider that part of the clutch. Pretty sure your flywheel will be fine. Not much else in there to replace.
Old 01-29-2021 | 04:48 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 186K miles MT

My system has been solid... I know of no wear items for replacement.

However, could you do us all a favor? Ask the tech about the infamous 1st gear jam. Many of us experience an issue when stopped and putting the car into 1st. It just won't go.. aka jam. The car is not moving. Changing the transmission fluid can alleviate this.... but what I want to know - is there a wear item regarding this issue? Does the tech get owner complaints and do they repair that issue? What do they do? Thanx much. I found that some dealers deny there are issues... unless of course you have one then they can talk a bit more freely.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-29-2021 | 08:57 PM
HUGHES996
Advanced

Yes, that's the dealer. The GM's name is Jered and he is really good to work with. I can recommend them much more than the Scottsdale dealer. I called Scottsdale for a competitive quote on an alignment a couple months ago when I was replacing the tires and they gave me a quote that was half the price. When I asked Chandler to match the quote, they called Scottsdale to confirm the price and service offered. Turns out Scottsdale was quoting for a two wheel alignment, not four. Who gets a two wheel alignment? They would have ended up upselling me upon arrival and would not have saved me any money, but pissed me off instead. Needless to say, they offer a 10% discount for PCA members.

Thank you for the information. I have an appointment for service and exhaust installation with them and they seem to have great customer service. As far as Scottsdale I couldn’t ever get anyone on the phone. Oh well. Did you say they give a 10% discount to PCA members at Chandler Porsche
Old 01-29-2021 | 11:02 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

New transmission.
Old 01-29-2021 | 11:03 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2021 | 11:04 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HUGHES996
Thank you for the information. I have an appointment for service and exhaust installation with them and they seem to have great customer service. As far as Scottsdale I couldn’t ever get anyone on the phone. Oh well. Did you say they give a 10% discount to PCA members at Chandler Porsche
Hope they treat you well! And yes, 10% PCA discount at the Chandler dealer.
Old 01-29-2021 | 11:42 PM
HUGHES996
Advanced

New transmission.

whats the anticipated cost of that?
Old 02-01-2021 | 12:52 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 186K miles MT

My system has been solid... I know of no wear items for replacement.

However, could you do us all a favor? Ask the tech about the infamous 1st gear jam. Many of us experience an issue when stopped and putting the car into 1st. It just won't go.. aka jam. The car is not moving. Changing the transmission fluid can alleviate this.... but what I want to know - is there a wear item regarding this issue? Does the tech get owner complaints and do they repair that issue? What do they do? Thanx much. I found that some dealers deny there are issues... unless of course you have one then they can talk a bit more freely.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I will try to remember to ask that question (1st gear) when I speak with the tech later this week.
Old 02-01-2021 | 12:53 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Hopefully, just $250 for my warranty deductible. But it is $9350 for a new transmission.
Old 02-02-2021 | 12:06 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

If you are getting a new transmission, I would keep the old one as a core and either rebuild it or part it out. It's worth something. These cars are getting old enough now that gear sets and synchros will need to be sourced by others.
Old 02-02-2021 | 12:22 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Originally Posted by yelcab
If you are getting a new transmission, I would keep the old one as a core and either rebuild it or part it out. It's worth something. These cars are getting old enough now that gear sets and synchros will need to be sourced by others.
Unfortunately, the dealer keeps the core for any warranty work, as the OEM requires the removed parts to be returned, at which time the dealer is refunded a 'core charge' (typically about 40-50% of the new part value). This is normal procedure to ensure the parts are returned for refurbishment, potentially after further analysis.
Old 02-02-2021 | 01:55 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Hopefully, just $250 for my warranty deductible. But it is $9350 for a new transmission.

Is the $9350 including labor or part only?
Old 02-05-2021 | 01:41 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yelcab
The core will go back to Porsche presumably for a rebuild.
Old 02-05-2021 | 01:42 PM
DCAZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Is the $9350 including labor or part only?
Yes, that is all in parts and labor.

Quick Reply: 997 manual transmission grinding in 5th