Mr12volt

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 04:35 PM
dropteeth
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr12volt

Hi Guys,

long time lurker- I have spent hours looking over the bluetooth threads and purchased the Isimple tranzit blutooth adapter (for sale btw)- I haven't installed it yet and decided to change to the Mr12volt as this seems like its the better way to go. My question is why are most people installing it behind the PCM instead of in the Frunk replacing the CD changer and using the power source from there? am I missing something? there are a couple of openings to get the mic through the firewall so to me this is the most logical spot to install it. Out of the countless threads i think only 2 people have done this? what am i missing?
Old 01-15-2021, 05:02 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I put mine behind the HVAC stack b/c I presumed that the bluetooth connection between my phone and this would be stronger in the cabin. In other words, I was concerned that my bluetooth connection would not be as good if it had to go through the firewall.
The following users liked this post:
dropteeth (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 05:06 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

If you mount the unit in the frunk, you have to run the microphone wire through the dash.
Most of us took the easiest route so we didn't have to run wire through the dash.
The following 2 users liked this post by laphan:
8KaboveMSL (01-16-2021), dropteeth (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:06 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

I stuffed it behind the pcm. Not how I wanted to do it, was worried about rattles and neatness, but it ended up working well.
dropteeth (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:40 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 681 Likes on 323 Posts

I taped it to the hvac plumbing under the glove box and covered with the styrofoam oem cover.

it allows for easy reset if needed which has happened to me twice.
The following 2 users liked this post by rtl5009:
8KaboveMSL (01-16-2021), dropteeth (01-15-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 07:46 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

I need to do this. I'm limping along with a BT that plugs into my aux power jobbie. Does the main thing I needed right away (connect to my music) fairly well, but I for some reason I'm not dying to tackle the Mr12Volt....
Old 01-15-2021, 08:03 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 681 Likes on 323 Posts

It’s so easy to install
Old 01-16-2021, 10:26 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Someone already mentioned the hassle of running the mic and the BT signal strength. I also ran an USB/Lightning cable tucked into the subwoofer housing (the subwoofer is the the passenger side on my C4S) that allows me to plug in the phone while it sit on the Renntech magnetic mount. That way I have a clean setup for charging without wires running around the passenger cabin either to the 12volt adapter in the passenger side or the one on the console.

It looks really clean and the charging wire is so easy to hide.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:01 AM
drmain1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i have mine sitting in the frunk, where the CD changer was. I didnt' even bother run the mic cord through I just wanted music. I
dropteeth (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 11:57 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Also note, I was able to install a mic in the factory location. Which was very important to me.

https://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_MIC_POR1.html

Awesome piece of kit.
The following 3 users liked this post by cwheeler:
brnjms (10-23-2023), dropteeth (01-16-2021), Hootsama (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 02:55 PM
dropteeth
Cruisin'

Any issues with bluetooth connectivity like others are mentioning?
Old 01-16-2021, 02:57 PM
dropteeth
Cruisin'

I was debating getting that mic from Enfig but figured a piece of tape on the factory location was enough -rather then ordering the mic from them...do you find this necessary?
Old 03-22-2023, 03:58 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So, reviving this thread but the unit I actually just purchased is the rebadged Rennkit. I have a PCM 2.1 Bose with cd changer so got the BTR-3 kit.

I understand these kits have USB, SD, and Aux inputs. I know I know most people only use the Bluetooth feature for audio and phone but hey I like to use these other features from time to time.

My question is if you opt to put this unit behind the PCM like everybody else seems to do with it then you've effectively eliminated the option of using the available ports on the device. I think RTL5009 in post #5 may have identified the best place to put it which is behind the glove box, but I'm wondering if I should try routing the unit into the glove box? Or would it just be easier to run extended cables from the unit, if mounted behind PCM, to the glove box for USB and Aux (and skip the SD card feature)?

Has anyone tried doing this installation? Would it make routing the mic harder now that it will have to pass through the center stack/pcm area, then the instrument cluster and up the A pillar to rearview center mirror (which is where I plan to route my mic).

Is the wiring loom that comes with the unit too short to even try putting this device in the glove box?
RennKit-Dave (03-23-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 09:39 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by aasilvia
Has anyone tried doing this installation? Would it make routing the mic harder now that it will have to pass through the center stack/pcm area, then the instrument cluster and up the A pillar to rearview center mirror (which is where I plan to route my mic).

Is the wiring loom that comes with the unit too short to even try putting this device in the glove box?
The big challenge isn’t the wiring, but rather the fiber connection to the MOST loop. It’s not very long and it’s not something you’d want to have exposed at all. I’d just go with the extenders for the AUX and USB ports.
RennKit-Dave (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 02:31 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So just wanted to give my thoughts on the installation and quality of the Rennkit. I received it yesterday and installed it almost immediately. Guess I just couldn't stand having no bluetooth anymore..

The installation itself is fairly straightforward. Rennkit's videos pretty much did all the heavy lifting for me. The challenge for me was just pulling the factory unit out. Be careful when turning those black hexes. It really is counterclockwise to push the metal tab in and only a 1/4 turn at that. As for the 12v power source, the one located in the passenger footwell worked for me (I also managed to cross up the positive and negative wires here, but no harm done). My biggest issue was being able to use the SD Card, Aux and USB but turns out (like others), the best place to put the unit itself really is at the base behind the carpet piece that has 1 30m torx head screw. It's easy enough to get to should you need it. I also routed the USB cable and Aux cable along the center tunnel up into the glove box from behind the glove box and then into the glove box. Nice and tidy and where I plan to keep my phone or aux related music devices anyway. As for the mic, I ran that up to the center of the windshield at the top mounted to the left of the controls in that area. I did pull the A pillar and some weatherstripping to route the mic wire and keep it hidden. Again, nothing too challenging.

As for the features, they're great. Made some test calls and everyone I called said they could hear me crystal clear. My 997 has the factory pcm 2.1 with bose and cd changer, but the phone features on the headunit work. You can dial out using the keypad as well as use the phone buttons to call or hang up. The display shows the numbers you're calling. Switching from aux to BT is a bit awkward but easy enough to learn.

Definitely worth getting if you want to keep the factory unit but will never use the CD changer and need bluetooth and a phone. Oh and you get the added bonus of a USB port with charging for your devices.

Last edited by aasilvia; 03-26-2023 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Mr12volt